It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Normal BMI

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Bella214 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:35 am

morning kate!

yeah, i quite liked the donkey ... gave me a chuckle too! hehe

so true about the bmi not taking into account the weight of our chest! i guess in my case, the one good thing about putting on weight is that my chest has increased! :oops:

maybe i'll be lucky and i'll lose weight everywhere else but keep my chest ... that would be nice! ... yeah, i know, keep dreaming! hehe ... i tend to lose more weight upstairs than downstairs ... :? at the moment i'm about a 14 up top but a 16 down below ... at my goal weight i'll be about a 12 up top and a 14 down below ... funny, only a few years ago, the thought of being a 14 just freaked me out .. i HAD to be a 12 ... now i just want to be, and feel healthy again and damn it, i'll be VERY happy when my rear end fits into a 14!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX3QzRl/]
[/url]
Bella214

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 am

you will get there bella :) my bust has decreased from weightloss! i was a 18DD now im a 16D. everyone in my family keep rubbing it in that they have shrunk because its something i have that they dont! lol. one of my sisters ended up getting implants!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Arrr don't get me started on BMI!! Don't get too hung up on what you are BMI-wise, because it's a very vague indication.
It doesn't take into account muscle mass, fluid, or frame size.
My BMI is 27.58, which is smack bang in the middle of the Overweight category.
But I have a helllll of a lot of muscle (many of which are aching today :( :( ) which it doesn't factor in at all.

The best indications are your Waist-to-Hip ratio, and body fat %. You can be 50kg, but you may be 50% body fat!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby SarahC » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:40 pm

Hehe... I've never had a waist to hip ratio under 0.8 - it's 0.85 at the moment :shock: According to that measurement I have a terrible risk of all manner of diseases and it's all bad! I just have no waist :(

I have to cling onto the BMI so that I can justify my low weight to people who get shocked by it. My mum in particular. At least I can claim that I am within the normal weight range :) I have a chunky horrible frame that looks dreadful when you start adding fat to it... (can you hear the violins??!)
Last edited by SarahC on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:58 pm

i have an orchestra my end sarah!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm within the healthy waist-to-hip ratio range, but you're right that it does have limitations too, Sarah!!
I don't think I've actually seen a pic of you Sarah, because you're right that 49kg sounds like nothing, I imagine you to be absolutely tiny!!!
I guess I'm lucky in that most people are shocked when I say I'm 68kg. Everyone thinks I weigh around 60, I guess it's because of all the muscle I have.
I think if I were 49kg I would be a skeleton!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:38 pm

I would be a skeleton at 49kgs, but it seems to work for Sarah. The pics you put up Sarah, I thought you look great and don't look underweight or anything.

It really goes to show you have to do what feels right for your own body. I would really have liked to go to 55kgs but found once I got below 58kgs started to look a bit gaunt.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:42 pm

i agree with kim sarah, you looked fine to me :) you will need to put up more photos!

the highest end for my bmi for heidi would make me 65kg (which i am aiming for) but i like having a bit of meat on me :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:03 pm

I've jst calculate that for my BMI to be overweight rather than obese I need to get to about 96 kgs... At the moment that sounds pretty wonderful to me, although I can guarantee I'll have re-assessed by the time I get there!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 am

I find the BMI thing over rated personally!! I think it may be fine as a "guide" only, but no more than that and certainly not something to be taken as gospel! I will be happy to get down to 60kg no matter whether the BMI thinks I should be lower!! I believe we should all be aiming to achieve a goal that suits us as individuals, not be pinned to a number!!

BTW I agree with Kim, Sarah....you look great!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk