It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Free Newsletter

Teenage male weight loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Teenage male weight loss

Postby Greg222 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey, my name is Greg and I'm 17 years old (turn 18 next year) and I weigh around 105-110kg. I was always overweight, but always just slightly and never really noticeable. Now, probably due to huge school stress lately, I had a massive increase in weight. I'm 5"11' and I really wish to get back to the normal weight limit before I start uni. I have a few questions I am hopeful to get an answer to (sorry, I'm pretty clueless on the topic):

1. At my height and age, what is a healthy weight?

2. Would it be possible to get down to this weight in 3 months?

3. How should I go about doing this? (please go into specifics if possible) With exercise, I can see myself waking up early and walking around the block for an hour or two.

4. How and what should I be eating? What I do now is eat whenever I'm hungry whether I eat at home or walk to the shop and get some fast food.

5. Is there anything else I should know?

thanks!
Greg222

Re: Teenage male weight loss

Postby miss_viva » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Greg and welcome to the forums :)

Best of luck with your plans to lose weight, here are a few answers to your questions:

1. I worked out your BMI (body mass index) as 34. Your BMI is used to measure the percentage of fat in your body, based on your height and weight. Let me stress that the BMI doesn't take into consideration the amount of muscle mass a person has, so some people believe that it is a little inaccurate, but I believe it's a good starting point. I used 110kgs as your weight and 1.8m for your height.

A BMI of 34 means that you are currently in the 'obese' category. (Don't worry - I was in the "morbidly obese" range when I first started - my BMI was over 40!) A BMI between 18.5 - 25 is considered healthy or normal, so this is the range that you need to aim for. A weight of 80kgs would mean your BMI would be 24.7, which would put you into the 'normal/healthy' category. Again, let me stress that this also depends on the amount of muscle you have in your body, as muscle weighs more than fat.

So in summary, you would need to get down to approximately 80kgs. 80kgs would put you at the upper end of the BMI range, so my suggestion to you would be to aim for 80kgs and then decide how you feel/look and if you want to lose any more weight. I wouldn't personally aim for anything lower than 70kgs.

2. At this stage, you would need to lose approximately 30kgs. I don't think that is a realistic target in 3 months. If you are planning on losing a lot of weight, it is best to do it slowly and aim to lose approximately 0.5 - 1kg a week. If you crash diet, you'll see quick results, but you'll end up putting on the weight again. I lost 30kgs myself, and it took me approximately a year to do so. There is no general time frame for weight loss, it really depends on how committed you are and how good you are with your diet and exercise programs.

3. This is a question that varies a lot for each person. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another person. My suggestion to you would be to eat as healthily as possible and to try and do some exercise. It sounds easy, but weightloss is really all about making consistent changes over a long period of time. Personally I like to swim and walk. If you were to power-walk for an hour each day, you would probably see some good results. Try and eliminate as much "crap" as you can from your diet and definitely avoid soft drinks - they are filled with unnecessary calories. Water is your best option, but if you're like me, the odd diet soft drink is fine too.

For your diet, it's up to you whether or not you want to follow a specific program or just do your own thing. I like to just do my own thing, and I try to eat as well as possible. I usually eat a couple of pieces of bread a day (for my carbs), a lot of vegetables, a couple of pieces of fruit, 1-2 serves of low fat dairy products, like yogurt, and a serving of meat. This changes a little each day, but that is the rough guide. I also snack on diet jelly when I want something sweet and have 1-2 small pieces of chocolate each day to help with the cravings. Basically, I don't do anything too fancy with my diet - eat healthy foods when you feel hungry and eliminate all unnecessary processed foods, like biscuits, chips, cakes, burgers, soft drinks etc. It's ok to splurge and have a little on occasion though!

4. I kind of answered that above - but definitely don't eat fast food when you feel hungry! It is full of calories and not a great deal of nutrition. If you feel hungry, have a big glass of water first and wait 5 minutes. A lot of the time we confuse thirst for hunger. If you still feel hungry after 5 minutes, prepare yourself something healthy to eat. Snack on a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, low fat yoghurt, vegetables and low fat dip, diet jelly, air-popped popcorn (without butter) or a salad. I'm sure you can think of other healthy snacks that you enjoy too. If you search on this board, there's probably a lot of great tips/suggestions out there.

5. Yes! Weightloss is about being consistent and staying on track. I fell off the wagon and stopped watching my diet and I gained back 10-12kgs really quickly. Stay focused and keep trying. You didn't become 30kgs overweight in just a few months, so don't expect to lose the weight instantly. You'll need to work hard at this! Also, encourage your family members to help you with your weightloss plans. If you live at home, ask your parents to prepare healthy dinners for you etc, or if you have friends/family members who are also wanting to lose weight, ask them to come walking with you. It's much more fun with another person. Also consider playing sports with friends, like basketball or soccer, they are great for burning up calories.

I hope this helps you, keep us posted on how you're going. Some of us like to post over in Personal Progress, so maybe you could start a thread there and keep us updated. Shout out if you need anything :) Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby Greg222 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 am

thanks for the awesome response!

just one last thing... what should i be eating for breakfast? I rarely ever eat breakfast and i'm absolutely clueless on the topic
Greg222

Postby Metalcharm » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 am

Excellent post Miss Viva!

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It will help get your metabolism firing and a well rounded breakfast will stop you wanting to snack on junk through the morning. Some good breakfasts could be
two poached or boiled eggs on toast.
bowl of porridge and piece of fruit
some WHOLEGRAIN cereal with skim milk and blueberries.

as I write this I am having an apple and orange cut up covered with low fat yoghurt :)

As I tell any new younger members that come on here ... DO IT NOW! I am over 40 now and for the first time in my adult life am healthy. Without wanting to live a life of regret I do wish that I had done this twenty years ago.

My other big piece of advice is to READ READ READ. Honestly, if you arm yourself with all the knowledge anout what is good for you and what is not then you will not want to eat crap. If you delve in a bit about what is in your favourite take away food you're really not going to want to eat it again! Or work out how many kilometres you'd have to walk to burn off one Big Mac and suddenly it isn't so appealing. :D

As Miss Viva said ... take it slow - sure it would be great to start Uni looking wonderful but quick diets just bring the weight back on when you start eating again. Change your view of food and go into it for the long haul and it will ensure that you look great when you FINISH uni and for the rest of your life.

All this talk of uni is making me feel old .. any minute now I'm going to start a sentence with ... "When I was a girl ... " :lol:

Good luck, Greg, I hope you hang around and keep us informed of your progress!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby davidtfranz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 am

hey reg222,,

You ask that if it is possible to lose weight in 3 months?..

It is very possible because there are some diet programs that are out today both natural and artificial..

Just research but you need to seek any doctor's advice before you will acquire it..

Use those wise and right diets not those fud diets that will make starve.
davidtfranz

Postby Greg222 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 am

Metalcharm wrote:Excellent post Miss Viva!

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It will help get your metabolism firing and a well rounded breakfast will stop you wanting to snack on junk through the morning. Some good breakfasts could be
two poached or boiled eggs on toast.
bowl of porridge and piece of fruit
some WHOLEGRAIN cereal with skim milk and blueberries.

as I write this I am having an apple and orange cut up covered with low fat yoghurt :)

As I tell any new younger members that come on here ... DO IT NOW! I am over 40 now and for the first time in my adult life am healthy. Without wanting to live a life of regret I do wish that I had done this twenty years ago.

My other big piece of advice is to READ READ READ. Honestly, if you arm yourself with all the knowledge anout what is good for you and what is not then you will not want to eat crap. If you delve in a bit about what is in your favourite take away food you're really not going to want to eat it again! Or work out how many kilometres you'd have to walk to burn off one Big Mac and suddenly it isn't so appealing. :D

As Miss Viva said ... take it slow - sure it would be great to start Uni looking wonderful but quick diets just bring the weight back on when you start eating again. Change your view of food and go into it for the long haul and it will ensure that you look great when you FINISH uni and for the rest of your life.

All this talk of uni is making me feel old .. any minute now I'm going to start a sentence with ... "When I was a girl ... " :lol:

Good luck, Greg, I hope you hang around and keep us informed of your progress!

hey metalcharm, thanks for the great post

it's been 2 weeks now and i basically haven't had any fast food except some pasta from the local pizzeria (couldn't help myself :P)

i was wondering if i could walk you guys through what i eat per day and if i could get some insight into whether or not it is the correct way to go about losing weight

Yesterday:

9:00 am - bowl of oats + some fruit and my daily berocca for breakfast
12ish - 1 plate of rice, salad and 2 chicken skewers (sorta like kebabs)
5ish - the same
10ish - the same

Now i was told that eating small meals throughout the day was better than eating bigger meals at less times

i have no idea if what i ate yesterday could be considered a small meal but i know for a fact that it's less than what i use to consume

could i get some insight into this? should i be eating less?

all help is appreciated :D
Greg222

Postby Greg222 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am

also... should i start going to a gym?

i've barely gotten any exercise in the past two weeks
Greg222

Postby XdanielX » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 pm

9:00 am - bowl of oats + some fruit and my daily berocca for breakfast
12ish - 1 plate of rice, salad and 2 chicken skewers (sorta like kebabs)
5ish - the same
10ish - the same

I don't know what types you have but if you have all the ones I list then it sounds fine depending on that the portion sizes of the rice, chicken meal isn't too big, but If they are different then here is a couple of ideas.

The oats should be natural oats and not those packaged 90 second pre flavoured ones.
Try not to add sugar to them, if you absolutely need that sweetness add just a tiny swirl of honey or put a little bit of lemon juice in.
The milk with your oats should be skim milk.

The rice with the salad and chicken would be better if it was brown rice, the salad is fine as long as you don't have any mayonnaise or any other sort of fat/calorie dense dressings or sauces on it and the chicken is good, as long as it's not fried in oil and covered in skin etc. So if it's brown rice with a clean salad and nice skinless chicken breast then yes this is fine. Also don't add any extra salt or anything if you can avoid it.

Having it twice though you wouldn't want a big full meal size portion for each one, a sensible portion size would be fine though, portion size is one of the biggest misunderstandings of losing weight and one of the biggest cause of peoples diets failing or weight gain, as they wonder why they are putting on weight while eating healthy, after finishing their 5th banana..

Only drink water and yes if you need to go to a gym to exercise then yes it's a great idea, strengthening such as lifting weights mixed with cardio exercises are great for overall fitness as well as weight loss.

Cardio is great for the cardiovascular system, lung capacity (I used to be able to hold my breath for 40 secs max, now after jogging for 5 months I can hold it for 2:30), stamina, endurance, weight loss and general fitness.
"
Strength/weight training is good for building muscle, burning calories and has the after-burn effect that normal cardio does not, in that, the more muscle you possess the more fat your body will burn for fuel and will be burning fat even after you have finished a workout, do not over-do it though.

I don't go to a gym personally, I jog on my treadmill at home and around my backyard and use my dumbbell set and am joining a soccer team next year which as someone suggested is a great way for keeping fit and losing weight.

hope this helped!

Daniel
January 4th 2016: 101kg
XdanielX

Postby miss_viva » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Well done on managing to avoid most take away foods over the last two weeks :) It's often hard to resist things we love and we all slip up every now and again. You might want to consider giving yourself a 'cheat meal' once a week, so you feel less deprived. You could have a small amount of your favourite food - e.g. a slice or two of your favourite pizza instead of a whole one.

As for what you're eating, it sounds ok to me but you might want to think about whether or not you're getting enough calcium in your diet. You might want to add in an extra glass of low fat milk or a low fat/low sugar yogurt or some cheese as well. Make sure you are also varying what you're eating, or you'll get sick of it quickly.

Different things work for different people, but as a rough guide I usually eat:

Breakfast:

2 pieces (or 1 thick one) of sultana toast and a skinny latte

Morning tea:
A piece of fruit - e.g. nectarine, blueberries, strawberries or an apple

Lunch:
Some kind of protein - e.g. chicken, salmon with salad or vegetables
A low fat yogurt with berries

Afternoon tea:
Skinny latte
Usually I mix this up a bit - sometimes I'll have a scone or a couple of squares of chocolate or a couple of potato chips. I used to come home and eat heaps of "naughty" things, but now I find the cravings are satisfied if I just have a few of my favourite things. If I still feel like something after picking a bit, I usually have a diet jelly to fill me up until dinner!

Dinner:
Protein + salad or vegetables

Dessert:
A piece of fruit
Occasionally I'll have a small piece of low fat lemon pudding or something similar.
Again if i feel hungry still after dinner, I usually snack on diet jelly.

My diet is not perfect, but it works for me and it's something I can stick to! It's just a suggestion for you, I'm not encouraging you to follow exactly what I do each day. Also, being male, you'll find that your energy needs are naturally slightly higher so you will need to eat a little more. Good luck with everything, you're doing well so far!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Return to Weight loss Talk