It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:08 am

Free Newsletter

What do we all do ..

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:56 pm

yeah you hear some horror stories and then some good stories about different hospitals. its hard as a first time mum to speak up about things. i vow to next time. some of the things i went through were:

*told i was a bad mother by a nurse and that my child was at risk of sids because of the way she was laying in the crib

*yelled at because i was apparently 'doing something to the baby' to make it cry

*was told breastfeeding is suppose to hurt because im new at it. my nipples ended up bloody and damaged due to the nurses shoving it in heidis mouth - ended up formula feeding as soon as i got home

*i refused to go to a bathing the baby lesson becaus ei knew how to bath a baby because i had done that training as a child care worker and i have 14 nieces and nephews- i was told then that i mustnt be a good child care worker then because i cant look after my baby properly.

*stood at the nruses station waiting for some advice on something and was ignored

*was told i couldnt go home because they wanted to monitor me for my 3rd degree tear and monitor the babys temperature- not once did they come and check either of us.

* i was suppose to be sent home with anitbiotics due to my 3rd degree tear and they didnt give me any to take.

and thats not even the half of it- it really makes a first time parent feel good about themselves though- NOT!
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:03 pm

I know what you mean - I was devistated - so much so that I didn't trust the nurses to do their jobs. Sarah had to go into a humie crib because of jaundice and had these little patches over her eyes to protect them from the lights in the crib. I was so scared that her eye protectors would come off and no one would know and something would happen to her eyes - that I had her incubater in my room for the whole time and didn't sleep. We could write books about our experiences couldn't we ..... and don't get me started on the food!!!?!?!?! :lol: :lol:
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:47 pm

lol the only thing i ate was cornflakes and thats because they came in a box haha. i made mick go to the hospital cafe to get me yummy food, but i ddnt really eat a lot those first few days. was too scared to go to the loo! you are right we could write a book!
kate_turner2000

Postby fiona » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi people. a bit about me
I'm a mother of 3, ages 13, 11 and 7. I work 3 days a week at a primary school where i am a Library Technician / Teacher aide. on my days off i clean house for a friend and visit my dad. My own house gets clean in between times!!! :lol:
I really feel for those of you with bad experience, i'm sitting here reading going ooooh aaaaaaah, ouch. I'm glad our bodies forget the pain weve gone through or wed never have any more.

See ya around
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNxsd9O/]
[/url]
fiona

Postby yummymummy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:59 pm

OMG Im sooo sorry you guys had bad times with your midwifes, thats awfull they should be their to guide you thru your experience not treat you like youve done something wrong I totally hate nurses like that and you see it far to often these days :x :x
Im a nurse! and hopefully a far nicer one than whats been described, Im about to start some chemo/oncology training but when my babes are all at school Im going to hit uni again and become a midwife!
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Livy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am currently studying part time, doing a diploma of counselling and communication. I am nearly finished, and have only 6 assignments to go before I am a qualified Counsellor :D I am currently a stay at home Mum, and run my own home business (PM me if you are interested in finding out more :wink: )

As for the whole baby deal, I have 2, Mikaela who is now 6, and Tara who is 20 months.

I also had bad midwife experiences.
The first time, the midwife told me to "Stop whinging and breathe", God, I was so pissed off, I asked her if she had kids and of course she said NO!! How the heck would she know what I was going through, how DARE she speak to me like that! Then, when I was learning to breast feed (by the way, I got the hang of it, I breastfed Mikaela until she was 2.5), this one nurse kept squeezing my nipples really hard, trying to get milk out to put on the baby's lips. She was REALLY hurting me!! The baby was screaming her lungs out, as if she was going to just latch on. I ended up sticking up for myself at the end, and telling her to stop, and that we weren't getting anywhere, that she was just upsetting me and the baby, and to LEAVE US ALONE!!! She walked off in a huff, and when she did I settled Mikaela and she fed no problem.

My second labour (much fresher in my mind) I had this huge gorilla like midwife, who kept yelling at me like I was totally deaf, because I was so upset. She kept talking to me like I was an imbicile, and I couldn't fight back because I was just in agony! She kept saying that I had 'hours' to go, and that I should get used to the pain because there would be alot more of it!! Showed absolutely no caring or compassion whatsoever. It ended up I was in fact 10cms dialated and ready to push!! Stupid woman!! I also remember her quite roughly wrenching my legs apart having a look at the baby. God, I hated her at the time! I did write a letter of complaint, but my sister who is a nurse told me it was really a waste of time, so I didn't bother sending it.
They didn't try and teach me to feed this time, as I was 30 years old, and not taking anyones crap!!! I think they sensed that :)

I have 2 sisters who are nurses, 1 who is a midwife. She is much older than me, and also has quite a callous 'get over it' way about her, just no understanding or compassion for others.
I wonder why these women are so totally rude and horriable to the woman they are meant to be nurturing????
Livy

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:12 pm

We now know why it the women who have the babies - men just couldn't handle it all ... LOL :lol:
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Ally » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:52 am

I am a stay at home mum of 4 (11, 9 and 2 x 7). Before I had my children I was an AIN at Bethany Home for the Aged....They wanted me to go on to Uni and become an RN and I said no, my family came first.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:09 am

jodi there are some lovely nurses out there. i had no problems on the delivery ward. but it was the actual ward i was taken to afterwards that sucked!

my letter got a response from the director of nursing and midwifry. she was so upset by it and rang me a few times to see if i was ok and asked me all the finer points of what happened. she then sent me out a formal letter of apology. one nurse in particular that i mentioned got in trouble. she was the one that told us as we left to go home 'good luck you are going to need it'.

hey livy can you pm me and tell me what your business is? im curious now! lol.
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:01 am

good on you for complaining, things do get followed up which is good and sometimes thats the kick up the ass that somone needs to stop behaving the way they do. Nobody has the right to tell you to stop whinging , or good luck your gonna need it- thats awfull!! I dont know why some nurses end up like this Ive worked with the nicest girls but when they are with their patients they are so rude and uncaring-nursing can get stressful at times because there are definately times when everyone wants something from you but thats the job.
Sorry to rant but Im kinda passionate about being a good nurse its a great job and has huge amounts of rewards :D
Jody
Jody

[/url]
yummymummy

Postby yummymummy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:03 am

P.S I have to agree abou the hospital food what is with that?? its yuck!
Jody

[/url]
yummymummy

Postby corolla_chick » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:11 pm

hi!
im an early childhood teacher
i finished uni last year and have been working at a small school with 40 students this year

as of xmas i will be unemployed at the moment!! no jobs have come up yet! :(

sorry to hear about your terrible experinces at hospital!
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Howdy all

Me is a 1st year uni student (yay just finished) doing Bach of Ed . Hopefully in 3 years time wil be a fully fledged teacher .
I have two kids a boy 3 and girl 10

It sounds like u all have had bad experiences with CB
mine was ok but long (first was 8 hours second was 12) but the hospital was great apart from one nurse who told me to rub my sons hole in the head ( the soft spot ) to make him drink while breast feeding (boy did i go off) but other then that it was all peachy keen
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby ~Ash~ » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:27 pm

hey everyone

i'm 19
i just finished first year uni
i'm doing a combined degree: Bachelor Chemical Engineering and Bachelor Business, it is a five year degree.
Over the summer holidays I'm working fulltime (42.5hrs a week) as a research assistant at Orica mining Services (a mining explosives research/manufacture company)
During semester time i worked at coles as a checkout chik/supervisor but i just quit since i have my fulltime holiday job which i'm hoping will be much more intersting, and also wont have me scanning everyones choccies, icecream, chips and BBQ chickens all day - that just makes me so hungry!
Go team MAGENTA!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
~Ash~

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 am

I'm working (I use the term "working" very loosely :roll: ) full-time as an Engineer in Local Government.

I also do a bit of work in hospitality, as I spent three years working at Crown after graduating from uni :shock: so I'm trying to not let my skills go to waste. I also run a home business (which I let lie while I was working on losing weight, and still gathering the energy/courage to get it started again), and will be starting some volunteer work in the evenings.

When I'm not doing that, I'm at the gym, doing housework/cooking or visiting my parents over the other side of town.

I am SOOOO glad after reading all that that I am never having children. I would freak if I ever found out that I was pregnant (one of my worst nightmares!)... can't even begin to comprehend childbirth. I'd love to adopt a child from a third-world country though - always wanted to do that :)
SarahC

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk