It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 am

Free Newsletter

Is it SO important to have a deadline for weightloss?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it SO important to have a deadline for weightloss?

Postby Roblyssa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:36 pm

I have goals for my weightloss but I never set myself goals to complete them by.

My theory is so long as I lose each week then I am on my way to reaching my goal.

I feel if I set myself a timeline and I don't make it, then I have let myself down.
Roblyssa

Re: Is it SO important to have a deadline for weightloss?

Postby vicolisted » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:34 pm

I feel the same way about setting a date, and if I don't meet it I now I'll only end up upset and likely to emotionally binge. So I don't set weight loss date goals. Hell I don't even set weight loss goals. I try to measure my weight loss successes by something other then the undependable scale.
vicolisted

Postby journeyman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:21 am

I think it's important to set goals, and usually a time frame to achieve them in. When it comes to losing weight though, in my experience having a time frame can be detrimental. You set specific deadlines for yourself, and then sub deadlines, that will get you there. When you don't reach a deadline it can really deflate you and knock you right off track. If you do set a weight loss goal with a deadline, make sure you are realistic and give yourself plenty of time to achieve it. I have found setting lifestyle goals has been more helpful then weight loss goals (apart from knowing exactly how much weight you want to lose).

Good luck!
Cam
journeyman

Postby Happygirl84 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi people!

Im new to the forum so I will introduce myself in another thread. But I thought this was a good question which I can definitely help you with.

I have lost 30 kilos and have reached my goal of 67 kilos! Go me! :P

I found with myself that goals were a good thing. I simply had the goal to lose a kilo a week during my weight loss period. Sometimes I would lose 2 or 3 or 4 kilos in a week when I was first starting as my body was being given a big kick in the right direction but other weeks it would be a simple kilo.

I think as long as you're losing half a kilo or one kilo a week then thats the main thing. Obviously if you only have one or two kilos to lose then thats a lot of weight quite quickly so it might change then. However if you have lots of weight to lose like I did then one kilo a week is a good place to start!

Hope this helps

Happygirl :-)
Happygirl84

Postby workoutdvdworld » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Losing weight each week is a goal in itself. I think if you stop losing weight for a while, then you might have to get more time oriented in your goal setting. In the mean time the motivation is coming from losing weight each week anyway.
If you have a special occasion coming up, that might give you more incentive to be even stricter, but in general it's about gradually learning the healthy habits that will help you maintain your weight for the rest of your life. And like they say, it can take 30 days to form a single habit! It's progress not perfection.
workoutdvdworld

Return to Weight loss Talk