It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 am

Free Newsletter

The things that they dont tell you...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The things that they dont tell you...

Postby Happygirl84 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi girls and guys

I just wanted to start this thread as I've had some experiences with weight loss which wernt all together positive. I'd like to share them with you and I'd love it if other people shares their experiences.

I hope this doesnt put anyone off losing weight and getting fit. Its trully worth it, I promise! :D

So here are some things that noone tells you about what happens when you lose alot of weight.\

1. Your friendships change. My best friend since prep no longer speaks to me :( People tell me she was jealous of me and couldnt handle the more confident me. I'd always been easily bossed around by her and she loved it then but when I lost weight and gained confidence she and I were unable to stay friends. The nastiness reared its ugly head in July this year when I ran my 10km fun. She knew I was running it and had known for months but all of a sudden the night before the race I got a message from her asking what time I thought I'd run it in. I was immediately suspicious and she admitted to me she was running too (with another girl we knew). Sneaky! I cried after the race and we havent spoken since. She lost her grandfather in August and I messaged her. When I lost my grandmother in September she said nothing. Make no mistake, your friendships will change.

2. You might need surgery. I have always carried all my weight around my stomach and now I feel I need surgery to get rid of my excess skin. Its not THAT bad but every day when I see my tummy in my shower I get a little sad and it reminds me of a past time in my life when I abused my body :(

3 You will have friend from the opposite censored that you will hope becomes your girlfriend/boyfriend. It might end in tears. I have always been good friends with someone from work and never put it out there as I wasnt confident. About a month ago I realised I do really like the guy and I told him. We've had some sad times over the last month as he told me he doesnt want a girlfriend and doesnt feel the same way

Anyone else have anything more to add?

Weight loss is such a journey! :shock:

Re: The things that they dont tell you...

Postby journeyman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 pm

That's really sad about your friend. I'm in a different boat though, as I've only been overweight for about 6 years. Sad that some people are that insecure. I could see that being a problem though.

I don't worry about the loose skin, but I do wonder about it. I'd rather have loose skin then the body and life I have now. But I can understand how it could be a painful reminder. I don't know if you have any pics of your mid section, but if you do I would love to see it.......just to get an idea. (PM me if you don't want it made public!). i don't mean to be weird, it's just that I have wondered a lot about the loose skin.

I'm lucky I don't have to deal with relationships, cause that would be another mind snap. I'm sure though that you will be able to meet someone new, who you have no history with, who will love and accept you for who you are today.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the advise!

Postby lin.k » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:49 am

Hey Happy Girl, Yes, they don't tell you these things...
It was like i wrote that post.

I have lost 80kg over the past 3 - 3 1/2 years... The biggest change has been in the past 11months.

I too have seen some friends fall away, but honestly I have found new healthier friendships too!

I am booked in for skin removal surgery next year (the 1st of 3 operations) and yes I too get sad for the abuse that I subjected myself too, but i also remember that I would rather have the skin and live everyday than be obese and unable to move in the skin I had...

I too struggled to negotiate a relationship with a friend of the male gender, it was painful, hard and ultimately did not work out, but on the flip side, I am stronger, more confident and have more attention from men than ever before...

So while they don't tell you some of the bad things, for me, even the lessons out of the bad are building blocks for my future journey!
Cheers Lin
All it takes is ALL you got!

Postby Happygirl84 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks guys! You're both inspirations!

Well I think Im feeling better now after Christmas and New Year! I even had drinks with the said male friend on Friday (it was a work thing) and did well enough to not get annoyed or irritated. He offered to buy me drinks and I politely declined. I aint goin' there again!!

Feeling on top of this world right now! :D

Return to Weight loss Talk