It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Free Newsletter

Considering Low Carb Diet

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Considering Low Carb Diet

Postby APT » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:43 pm

Does anyone hear have experience with low carb diets? I was trained in my Fitness course that they were "bad", and that low fat was the way to go, but I know that a lot of profressional bodybuilders use low carb diets in their "cutting phases" to get down to 2-3% bodyfat, which I don't believe is possible on a high carb diet.

I am wanting to get down to 10% BF from 17%, so would anyone recommend a low carb diet for this, or perhaps wait until I have reached 12-13% through a normal diet.

Postby MissE » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:46 pm

I believe that its not carbs as a whole that are bad, but certain kinds. So i kinda do the low GI thing and avoid sugars, refined carbs, quick energy fixes. I still eat alot of carbs, but in the form of wholegrains, cereals etc :D
Life is too important to be taken seriously!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:15 pm

you have sooo confused me with those number snad percentages lol. but i am following my own low carb program- i ahve cut out breads, cereals, pastas. firstly because they were making me feel ill. now i am eating fresh produce and still get carbs from vegies and fruits. i also eat lean meats and eggs. i ahve lost a fair bit of weight, but you need to do some research into it. dont believe everything you hear at your course though, a lot of its one persons opinion on it that theyre relaying to other people. you need to research different programmes and see what works for you.

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:01 pm

I think part of it is about how your body works with or reacts to carbs. Some people can be quite sensitive to them and feel bloated. I never had such a problem and was previously eating 60%+ of my total intake through carbs and I still lost fat, however I do cardio at least 5 times per week fairly vigorously. I have tamed down my carb intake over the last 4 months as I wanted to increase my protein as I was becoming more serious about the weight training and felt I needed to direct some of my nutrition there.

The other thing that the others touched on is the quality of the carbs you have. Basically the nearer to it's natural state the carb is the better the quality. So sweet potato and brown rice is better than wholegrain bread which in turn is better than white bread and white rice.

Tom Venuto has an excellent e-book called Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle which goes into all this stuff in great detail. He is a natural bodybuilder and during comp season is around 4-5% body fat. In his book he talks about fat loss not weight loss so you may find it interesting. PM me if you want more info.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Return to Weight loss Talk