It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Free Newsletter

I'm The Odd One Out In Need Of Advice

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm The Odd One Out In Need Of Advice

Postby lvarbrew » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Hello all!!

My name is Lauren - I am a newby here at this forum. I have had accounts with other diet-specific forums, however really needed a central forum where I could chat to people dealing with the same issues I am.

The reason for my title is because I am a bit of the odd one out when it comes to weight loss - I'm not the typical weight loss 'patient'. Over the past 9 months, I have lost approximately 10 kilos, by simply lowering my carb intake and eating less. Barely any exercise. I have now plateaued, actually around 2 months ago, and I intend to continue eating as I had been eating and incorporate exercise. I am not a believer in BMI - this is actually part of my 'oddness'; I'm actually one of those people who is a great example of how height/weight comparisons do not always work. Here are my stats if anyone is interested -

Current Weight: 70kg (154 pounds)
Height: 156cm (5'1")
Body Fat Percentage: 26%
Measurements -
Bust: 99cm (39 inches)
Waist: 68cm (27 inches)
Hips: 101cm (40 inches)
Apparent BMI: 29

If I knew how to post a picture of myself I would - I don't look my weight at all, I look less. I am an odd shape/build (as you may or may not be able to see from the stats) - very small waist and very muscular; my legs can bench press almost double my weight. I have a medium size bone structure. My body fat percentage is in a healthy weight range, as is my hip-to-waist ratio. My doc has recommended I shouldn't really attempt to be the weight that my BMI suggests I should be; given my odd body - if I were between the 50-60 kilo mark as it suggests I would be quite thin and it probably wouldn't be maintainable.

Anyway - I'm rambling on about stats - I would really like to get to 65 kilos and see if that is ok for me. Given that my body has plateaued so severely I'm hoping I can get there soon, but my main question is - does anyone have any advice for me based on my weird-ness? I am about to join up a recreation centre near home - with a gym, pool, classes, etc. I'm not a big eater, I count my calories when I remember to, but some days don't eat enough (and I know - this can slow down weight loss; I'm trying!). Food is not my enemy, exercise is. So everyone - thoughts?

Thanks for reading, I'm very appreciative! :D

Re: I'm The Odd One Out In Need Of Advice

Postby BossMan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 pm

If you are muscular BMi means absolutely nothing. When i was in highschool i was 189cm and 115kg, but fit and strong as anything. which is a BMI of 32, obese..... or so according to that. If you want to lose a few more kilos maybe go for a walk or jog. doesn't have to be long, start out 1 time around the block for the first week, 2 times around the second week etc..... if your bmi is 29 and your muscular theres not to much you can do wihtout losing some of your muscle mass

Re: I'm The Odd One Out In Need Of Advice

Postby bwea » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 pm

I think you sound "Healthy". I think you should get a personal trainer you will drop wieght but they can also help you work the right areas so your not so much of a pear shape .

Return to Weight loss Talk