It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 am

Free Newsletter

Does coffee hinder weight loss?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Does coffee hinder weight loss?

Postby kylakeeper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 am

Hello!

I've heard from a friend of mine that coffee hinder weight loss? If that is true, I think I will stop drinking coffee.
kylakeeper

Re: Does coffee hinder weight loss?

Postby BossMan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Caffine is a funny thing. IT speeds up your metabolism temporarily, but it also dehydrates you, so your body will hold onto water weight. The worste thing about coffee is what you put into it, sugar, milk, cream, sweetener........
BossMan

Postby kylakeeper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes, you have a good point. Thank you for your reply.

Anyways I've heard also that coffee is really not good for our health.
kylakeeper

Postby foodcoach » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Yes, it can do.
Some people lose additional pounds after stopping coffee. Studies have shown that caffeine (as in coffee and some sodas) contributes to insulin resistance (thus making it harder to lose weight), increases appetite (again making it harder to lose weight) and contributes to food cravings (making it difficult to adhere to a weight loss diet). In those studies, even decaffeinated coffee is shown to be detrimental to weight loss.
Thanks
foodcoach

Postby yogibbear » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 am

As long as you account for the calories you consume when you have a coffee and are getting the right nutrients in the rest of your diet, then no.

However obviously more than 1 coffee a day and your risking pushing your calorie intake over the limit unless you skip a meal (which is bad!) so... either go with a lower calorie coffee than what you were doing, reduce the amount of coffee, but you don't have to eliminate it completely if it's something you enjoy.
yogibbear

Return to Weight loss Talk