It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Free Newsletter

The best cardio exercise ever!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The best cardio exercise ever!

Postby mariorupcic » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 am

Hi guys, you would not believe what exercise helped me lose weight. Its walking! I know how it may seem difficult to believe, but I actually had better results with it than with any exercise out there. When I was chubby, I always tought running was the answer, but let me tell you, to a chubby person I was it was not only difficult but it also led to further loss of motivation what so ever.

Walking at a higher pace does give results, and you actually burn more calories in the long term because you can walk for hours. Its by far the best exercise I could implement in my training.

What do you think?
mariorupcic

Re: The best cardio exercise ever!

Postby BossMan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:43 am

Walking is usually better you are 100% correct. Not only is it easier but the weightloss aspect is better then running. RUnning burns the sugar in your system and enhance pulmonary function. Walking doesn't put your body in a state of stress, therefor your metabolism isn't over stimulated and you burn fat.
BossMan

Postby mariorupcic » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 am

True that, which is why I want to spread the word out. It gave me best results by far. But of course, it is not the only exercise I do, I usually do HIIT from time to time because it speeds up metabolism as far as I know..
mariorupcic

Postby MsLisa63 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm

How long do you recommend someone walks for? I've been using a treadmill daily for 60-90 mins at speed of 5.5. I'm feeling fitter and the weight is slowly coming off. Should I increase intensity and then slow it down?
MsLisa63

Postby WL Epiphany » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 pm

for a person who needs to lose quite a but of weight, there is no better than incline walking. This can be done outdoors or on a treadmill, it has the added bonus of strengthening your knee and hip joints and burns a lot of calories without walking too fast.
[DELETED]
WL Epiphany

Postby MsLisa63 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend the length of time I should be aiming for and what speed on treadmill? Greatly appreciate your advice!
MsLisa63

Postby natharas » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:46 pm

MsLisa63 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend the length of time I should be aiming for and what speed on treadmill? Greatly appreciate your advice!

I'm also interested in the answer to this to, I got a treadmill last week have done 2 walks on it so far first was 15mins second today was 30mins. I want to know if starting on 30min is too much to start with and also should I be doing it once or twice a day?

In saying this I managed a 2.1km walk felt buggered but great afterwards.
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
natharas

Postby MsLisa63 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Wow! That's excellent. I have to admit that I've had my treadmill for a while and it's been standing there unused much to the constant reminder from my husband. But when The Biggest Loser started this year, I don't know what happened! All of a sudden I was motivated to use it while watching the show. I normally do between 70-90 mins every night, except Saturday night and I really enjoy it. It's been four weeks now and although the weight loss seems slow, I do feel fitter. I hope to lose about 15 kgs so I'm going to take the advice and maybe put the treadmill on incline for a more intensive workout.
MsLisa63

Postby natharas » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm

MsLisa63 wrote:Wow! That's excellent. I have to admit that I've had my treadmill for a while and it's been standing there unused much to the constant reminder from my husband. But when The Biggest Loser started this year, I don't know what happened! All of a sudden I was motivated to use it while watching the show. I normally do between 70-90 mins every night, except Saturday night and I really enjoy it. It's been four weeks now and although the weight loss seems slow, I do feel fitter. I hope to lose about 15 kgs so I'm going to take the advice and maybe put the treadmill on incline for a more intensive workout.

Wow 70-90mins thats crazy, I wish I had enough time endurance to do that. How far does that work out to be in km's? I'm the opposite to you, the wife actually picked up the treadmill from a garage sale, she hasn't used it but I have. I'm not going to mention anything to her though as that would be a death wish lol.
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
natharas

Postby MsLisa63 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm

It works out to just under 7kms. Tonight I only walked for 30 mins but on an incline so I'm going to see if this works better for weight loss. Just between us, having the time to watch my TV shows uninterrupted is great motivation!
MsLisa63

Postby Seven3 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:09 pm

I have been walking a lot, 45-60 mins each morning on weekdays and usually about 90 mins on Saturday morning.

I like it because....

It's free - although I have a gym membership, I mostly use the gym for weights.
I have a dog - she needs to be walked so it kills 2 birds with one stone.
It's low stress - I actually find it relaxing, and I take my phone and listen to Tony Robbins while I walk, does that make it 3 birds?
You can do it alone - Don't need to take a class to learn how to walk
No fancy equipment needed - Decent pair of shoes, some comfortable clothes, ipod or phone optional. Most of us have all of that stuff anyway.

Would I say its the best cardio exercise ever? not really.

Personally I would say that the best cardio exercise ever is the one that you enjoy the most, the one that makes you actually want to get up and do it.
Seven3

Return to Weight loss Talk