It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Losing weight wihout using meal replacments or pills.....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Losing weight wihout using meal replacments or pills.....

Postby Jaspakat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi I am new to this board and I would like to lose weight without using meal replacements etc. I know the only way to achieve this is to eat healthily watch portion control and exercise regularly and effectively. I really want to lose weight and keep it off and also do not want the expense of buying diet pills and meal reps. I would love to hear from people who have done it this way and get an idea of sample menus and interesting ideas for snacks - (crisps and peanuts are my weakness!!!!!) There are some foods I just will NOT eat lol celery is the devils own food!!! :evil: I love fruit and veggies and really adore 'crunchy' food :lol: and I am aiming to curb the snackettes throughout the day.

Have a great day everyone

Cheers

K8

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgBjRcQ/]
[/url]
Jaspakat

Re: Losing weight wihout using meal replacments or pills....

Postby Jaspakat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:52 pm

erm...yes burning more calories than is consumed is generally how weight loss happens. I plan to exercise 3 - 4 times per week as well as attending pilates classes 3 times a week. Smaller portion sizes and a general cut in saturated fat intake is how I plan to lose weight. As mentioned I am new to this board so my weight loss journey begins this week. I wasnt asking HOW to lose weight I was asking for meal/recipe ideas etc. But thanks for your comment. Much appreciated.

K8
Jaspakat

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 am

Hi Jaspakat

So far I've lost over 50 kgs the old fashion way - by eating foods with low energy density and restricting those with high energy density to rare treats.

In practice, that meant lots of vegetables. I love bread, but changed to high-fibre rye and ensured it was never eaten with just a thin no-fat spread but instead was part of a main meal. My main strategy has been to eat combinations of food that stop me getting hungry too soon and raiding the fridge for snacks. Whatever I cook, I don't use oil or sugar in it.

I generally boil or steam enough vegetables for a few days (placed in containers in the fridge). I shy away from potatoes and corn, but instead use fibrous vegies such as string beans, carrots and onions; cruciferous vegies like brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts, and leafy ones like cabbage and silver beet.

I try to have protein in 2 meals a day. Low fat meats such as basa fish (about 330 Kj per 100g) and lean kangaroo (400 Kj per 100g).

For desserts I have fruit and chilled no-fat yogurt (220 Kj per 100g). If possible I mix in vegetables with the fruit to dilute the sugar content. For example, I'll stew up either apple and choko, or apple and rhubarb.

I "assemble" most of my meals from the above building blocks.

Breakfast: (1500 Kj)
50g Muesli (a mixture of rolled oats, oat bran, wheat bran, carob, psyllium husk, slippery elm powder, raisins) with oat milk.

Lunch: (2000 Kj)
3 slices wholemeal rye bread with 1 serve canned salmon, 1 slice cheese. The cheese was a treat, I restrict myself to no more than one slice per week.

Tea: (2400 Kj)
2 slices wholemeal rye bread, 1 basa fish fillet, boiled vegetables (string beans, carrot, cabbage, tomato, onion).

Snack: (600 Kj)
250g no-fat yogurt

Tomorrow will be similar:
Breakfast: Rye bread, vegetables, 2 eggs
Lunch: 1.5 serves kangaroo steak in a spicy simmer sauce (caution: many brands, especially the Indian dishes ones are loaded with fat) plus vegetables
Tea: Will be eating out

Snacks can be healthy. I like crispy rice or water crackers with smoked mussels (packed in sauce, NOT oil). 12 crackers and one tin of mussels amounts to only 1000 Kj.

The above regime has been in place for the past two years. The trick, for me, has been to ensure the selected food always sates. It simply won't work if you're always hungry.

I hope that helps give you a few ideas.
CronicBadger

Postby Jaspakat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:21 am

WOW Cronic badger seems like you have mastered the art im looking for!!! congrats on your teriffic weight loss. I too love bread and I absolutely adore rye bread but I thought it was bad as its so 'heavy' ?? I am sure I can employ many of the suggestions you made as I love steamed veggies. One of my issues is that most 'diets' have you eating many small meals per day. Its not that Icouldnt do it..it just feels like so much food!! I am going to go with breakfast, a morning snack, lunch and then dinner. I will see how that goes in terms of how much weight it allows me to lose. Mny thanks for your ideas I will definately give it a go :D

Many thanks

K8
Jaspakat

Postby lmffph » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

H K8

I'm doing the same as chronic badger. 3 weeks in and I'm over 5kg down already.

I posted my eating plan somewhere else on here but basically I have an egg on wholemeal bread for brekkie, light cheese and ham toasted sandwich for lunch, and some lean meat (chicken, lamb or steak) for dinner with couscous and/or salad.

I've also supplemented my usual routine with some lean cuisine meals (I work long hours and sometimes just can't be jacked cooking) and my partner and I have even managed to sneak a dr oetkers pizza in there one weekend (440 calories for 1/2 a pizza).

I'm consuming between 1200-1400 calories a day. I'm trying a calorie zigzag at the minute to see how it works in terms of staying off 'starvation mode' (which has always been a problem in the past).

I also can't do the 6 small meals a day, so I'm sticking with 3 meals a day. Breakfast is a new challenge for me, I've never been good at eating it. I'm also trying to be aerially diligent about drinking enought water.

Gem is 3-4 times a week for about an hour. Hard workout combining cardio and weight training.

I'm finding it's working for me and much better than any meal replacement plan I've EVER tried!!

Good luck to you!!

F :)
Short term goal

SW - 131.5kg on 2/1/2012
New SW - 125.1 on 19/11/2012
GW - 70-80kg

INTERIM GOALS
125kg - 19/11/2012
120kg -
115kg -
110kg -
105kg -
100kg -
lmffph

Postby rachael.k » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Jaspakat

I am not really interested in meal replacements or pills because I need my food to fit in with my lifestyle which includes eating with my partner. I enjoy food and I am trying to find a balance between consciously eating healthy and enjoying the social aspects of food.

I try to limit carbs, I also like bread and have switched to spelt and sprouted grain varieties which are very good from you. I try and have carb meals on days that I have done weight training (usually pump class 3x a week).

Snacks I enjoy include nuts, organic low fat yoghurt, goats cheese (chevre with ash), fresh fruit, smoked salmon/trout. Always eat breakfast, its great to kickstart your metabolism in the mornings. Proteins like eggs are great. Try and have 5-6 small meals a day, eating every 4 hours. This will stop your body going into "starvation mode" when you are reducing your calorie intake.

In university I rowed 5 days a week and played soccer. 4 years on and I have made a decision to get my fitness and body back!
Good luck
H: 183.5cm
SW:89.5kg
CW: 87.7kg
GW: 68.5kg

rachael.k

Postby Jaspakat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your plans and ideas. I have started running omg I forgot how hard it is at the start!!! I am doing it slowly until i can build up to a full run I have to run walk run at the moment so unfit!!! im better on the spin bike my legs feel like Lead but its going well :) My body doesnt know whats hit it lol!!! :lol: still I KNOW it will get me to where I need to be :D just wanted to ask though I am a bit of bread and potato junkie. I am eating carrots like they are going out of fashion but I just cant curb my potato craving :oops: trying to stick to 1200 cals a day some days I cant eat enough!! but even looking at potatoes takes my carb limit over board! any ideas???

Thanks already for your comments Its very much appreciated :)

Cheers

K8
Jaspakat

Postby foodcoach » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:24 pm

It is too easy to say that i want to lose some weight,but the difficult part is to proceed to the next step which is the process of losing weight.It can only be possible if you have a strong decision that yes i can do it i can lose weight,only then my friend no one can stops you and you can lose your weight by following a daily low diet plan and exercise. :D
foodcoach

Postby damonwhite1978 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I've found that replacing normal beef mince, even heart smart mince, with Kangaroo has has drastic impacts on my weight loss results and my health overall. The best part is almost all of the supermarkets stock it, not just the mince but a heap of other products like Fillets and Marinated Steaks. If you check out youtube even Michelle Bridges from the Biggest Loser recommends it.
damonwhite1978

Postby swordx85 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:37 am

I dont think losing weight is such hard. I also tried anythink you can think of before. But finally I participated to a seminar about losing weight and paid to much money:(

I wrote down tips to my blog, you do not have to pay so many money like me:) A "Thank you" is enough ;)
Please read my blog and comment on it.

[Link Removed]
Last edited by CronicBadger on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is a discussion forum, not a billboard.
swordx85

Postby PeggyChai » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm

I would like to share how I managed to loose weight easily without using meal replacements or pills or even much money.
I simply using lemon water and it is safe, healthy and effective.

Check this blog out: [Removed]

I hope this will help. :D
Last edited by CronicBadger on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed due to some unscientific claims and dodgy links. The AWL forum is a place for discussion, not an advertising billboard.
PeggyChai

Postby justme » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Mash 1/2 a potato with cauliflower add lil salt and pepper have for lunch not dinner :)
Be Happy & Healthy :)

justme

Postby poundbypound » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi, I have also lost some pounds in the past and my success story simply is replace quantity with quality. use oils instead of butter, do not drink alcohol, etc. one of my favorite meals was a gratin made of root veggies - potatoes, carots, parsnips. Or add the veggies that you like. it is simple, healthy and easy.
Enjoy!
poundbypound

Return to Weight loss Talk