It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Hey guys, it looks like I'm finally doing it!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Hey guys, it looks like I'm finally doing it!

Postby jarjar31 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi guys, so I'm officially trying to lose the weight!
I'm 17 years old, 165cm and about 90 kg (my weight scale is a little wonky)
I'm having some issues though, with my starting up and some walls standing in my way. I know I shouldn't have excuses, but I just can't seem to get around it, that's why I need you guys to help me and motivate me!

Issues:
- I go to a school over an hour away from my home, which means I need to be up at 6am every morning just in time for school, meaning I don't have much time to exercise in the morning, or at night, especially since I'm in Year 12 now and everything is study, study, study!
- I'm trying to use nutrition as my jumping point, but I don't have enough time for a good breakfast (which right now is a slice of buttered toast and a cup of warm Milo) and my lunch is a Mortadella Sandwich with white bread. My dinner, however, I think isn't too bad - a piece of chicken breast and steamed vegetables.

So, what do you guys think I should/could do? Any help would be appreciated! I'll try and regularly update my progress and what I've been doing/eating for the day.
jarjar31

Re: Hey guys, it looks like I'm finally doing it!

Postby Mayden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 pm

I am no expert, but I feel a shake for breakfast would be better than a slice of toast, this is what I have if I am in a hurry, it keeps me full until lunchtime.

Replace the white bread with some kind of grain bread, I know salad sandwiches do not keep well, so maybe make a salad with tuna or salmon, small amount of cheese, egg and some fruit. I find a couple of crisp breads with the salad make me feel a little fuller.

Carry a water bottle with you, 3 litres per day, drink while studying, plus eat some fruit or even some carrot/celery and cottage cheese.

Your meal at night sounds fine.

Good luck with the WL and good luck with the study, do not stress too much there is life after the HSC. My daughter had her life planned and did not even apply for a UAI!! Ended up doing 6 years at uni as a mature aged student, LOL, but travelled and worked up until that time.
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby SugarandSpice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 am

HI jarjar31,

I am no expert - but will throw some ideas out there for you - hope they help...

Exercise - doesn't have to be 1/2 hour of set activity etc.. maybe just try to increase activity where you can - for example - take stairs instead of lifts, walk the long way round to class (ensuring you still get there in time -lol), when you get up and at bedtime do a few simple exercises - sit ups, push ups, squats etc - even 5 minutes each time will make a difference.

Food -
breakfast
- what about trying UpandGo from Sanitarium?
- What do you have on your toast? - can you put some protein on it - slice of cheese/ham??

Lunch
- can you swap to wholegrain or wholemeal bread?
- add some fruit?
- crackers and tuna?
- handful of nuts for a snack? (not sure if schools allow nuts any more though?)
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby jarjar31 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'm going to the shops on Saturday so I'll be sure to pick up some wholemeal bread and canned tuna!
I used to drink Up and Go, but I felt like it wasn't as fulfilling and that there was a large carb intake, which wasn't very good since I spend most of the morning sitting around in class. Do you have any other ideas?

As you've said, I've been taking the longer way to class more often now, and I'm re-joining my school's rugby team, so hopefully it'll whip me back into shape! I'm also going to spend this weekend doing a bit of a bike ride and a jog around the neighbourhood. Plus, being a teenager, I tend to eat a lot of fatty takeaway foods. I've been cutting that out of my diet altogether, which not only means a lower calorie intake, but I'm saving and putting aside some money! :)

I will also most definitely increase my water intake, but sometimes it gets a little boring. What do you think of cordial? Is that still a good alternative for high water intake? And tea?

Another thing, I spent today with a bagful of grapes in my pocket, and every once in a while during class I'd eat one or two grapes. Is this a good idea? Like, does it do anything for my metabolism or appetite?
jarjar31

Postby Mayden » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:44 pm

I would put some cheese or ham or both on grain bread or toast in the morning, even if you eat it while on you way, you could always have an up and go as well. You really need to feed your brain before you start in the morning.

I personally would not swap water for cordial, at least not all the time, even the no sugar ones have heaps of sweeteners in it.I have not researched it but there may be some out there you could add a little to the water some times. I kind of think water as being great, and like walking, it is basically free, good for you and helps with weight loss.

Is it just me or does any one else notice that people who drink diet coke/soft drinks are the largest people I know and that goes for all of them.

Again I am no expert but I feel the grapes are a great idea. I know they have sugar but hey it is much better than a bag of lollies.
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby SugarandSpice » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm

What about a slice/wedge of lemon or lime in the water bottle? As you refill it during the day it should still have flavour to add?
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Return to Weight loss Talk