It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:21 am

Free Newsletter

Weigh fluctuation..what is normal?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weigh fluctuation..what is normal?

Postby emilyhockey94 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Last week i weighed in at 61.8 then again yesterday at 62.6. When weighing myself today I was 63.
i haven't changed or done anything differently apart from be a bit sick this week.
is this normal or am i putting on weight?
emilyhockey94

Re: Weigh fluctuation..what is normal?

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Yes, perfectly normal. A person's body weight will vary by as much as a few kilos over short periods of time due to retention of food, water, muscle and fat. The only sure way to determine if you're putting on weight is to measure your weight over a long period of time, say, two months and work out if there is an upward trend.

Also, if you are exercising then your muscles will bulk up to a certain point, and that will cause weight gain, or at least hide weight loss due to reduction in fat. Which is good, since muscles are active tissue and will "burn" more fat, even when not exercising.
CronicBadger

Postby bethanyherman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 pm

You shouldn't worry about weight fluctuations of a few pounds. This is perfectly normal! What is important is a long-term trend toward gaining or losing weight.
bethanyherman

Postby hazyl » Wed May 02, 2012 5:55 pm

I would suggest to weigh yourself once a week so you are not derailed by daily fluctuations. When you weigh yourself, weigh yourself at the same time of the day, on the same day of the week, on the same scale and in the same clothes. It works! :D
Last edited by CronicBadger on Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link
hazyl

Return to Weight loss Talk