It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Help with weight loss plan

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Help with weight loss plan

Postby ElectricSnake » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

A couple years ago, I started trying to lose weight, I started walking for 30 minutes a day, cut out all takeaway and was eating fairly well. I lost 15kg in a few months. I absolutely hate exercising though and uni started getting stressful and I stopped. I've put about 5kg back on in the last few years, but I need to get started again.

I'm 21, female, 5'8" and weigh about 87kg. I have all the free time in the world, but I'm very lazy and I can't cook, and my parents refuse to change what we currently eat (we are all overweight). I am moving overseas in the middle of this year and as part of a new start, I'd like to be more healthy. I would like to get down to 70kg by the time I leave, which would be June/July. Firstly, is this possible/safe?

I am quite good at suppressing my hunger urges, but unfortunately the food we have in the house is not very healthy, so normally if I get hungry I make sandwiches and I eat too much bread. I have an easier time with these things if I have a set plan of what to eat. Are there any good easy meal plans to follow?

Now, with exercise, I have an exercise bike in my room. I occasionally do 30 minutes a day, but lately I've been distracted and haven't been doing it. The settings don't seem to very accurate on it, but I go at a fairly fast pace. If I wanted to lose as much weight as I do, would I be better off just jumping on for 1 hour a day, or build up slowly? Is it better to do it all at once, or break it up into 15/30 minute lots? Should I try some workouts as well, I don't really feel comfortable doing exercise outside my room, and I don't have much room in there though.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but for me to really stick to this, I need some advice and my parents are no motivation at all.

Re: Help with weight loss plan

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm

What you want to do is possible and is safe .. it probably falls into what is the recommended range or close enough but you have to work at it.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up, show some determination, and do what you don't want to do. If you have the time then you can exercise .. find the music that you love, or podcasts you enjoy, and get out there and pound the footpath .. or get on the bike .. or move along to a DVD .. just move! I found that I grew to love doing exercise and felt less inclined to eat crap afterwards .. why would I want to ruin what I had just worked for?

As far as food goes there are a huge amount of meal plans available .. even on this site. But if you go back to basics and eat as many whole natural foods as possible and cut out the processed packaged food then you're well on your way. You KNOW what is bad for you and you KNOW what is good for you you just have to put it into action. Get yourself a recipe book .. just a basic one .. and LEARN how to cook. Cooking is only following instructions which anyone can do.

I say this to a lot of younger people that come in here. I am forty and for the first time in my adult life I am in my healthy weight range and I love it. I spent so many years not going to parties/bbqs and wearing frump clothes that it was just a waste. Get your act together NOW! Don't get yourself to forty and wonder what could have been!

Good luck!!!

Postby kayleend10 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:49 am

i was just reading your post and i have tried this weightloss thing by my doctor that really did work you could give it a go if you like.

just by following this i lost 8kg in 2months it may work better for you.

for 2 days a week eating red meat with your dinner as well as veg

the other 2 day having fish with veg

and for the last 3 days only eating veg

it really did work for me i hope its help you too.

apart from eating these for breakfast i was having cereal weekbits or oat then a piece of fruit, for lunch a salad or a salad roll with chicken or ham,afternoon tea a yogurt or fruit then for dinner the plan above you can switch or add on its up to you.

Good luck!

Postby feebeejay » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 am

I've found that a calorie counter book is invaluable. They bring out a new one every year that has updated brand information etc and it can really give you an idea of what you are actually ingesting ... I've also found a great app for either iPhone or iPad that you can record your weight, goals, daily food intake, exercise and it keeps track of everything for me ... I just have to remember to update it ... But those things can really help you to understand what is going in to your body. If you think of your body as a bank in reverse ... What you eat are your 'deposits' what you exercise are your 'withdrawals' ... Just like a savings plan in reverse're aiming for LESS in the bank!
You are in control of what you eat, not your parents ... But even if you need to eat what they eat, then maybe you can choose smaller portions (maybe get yourself a special smaller plate -I've got a fancy china plate that is so pretty I love it and really enjoy eating from it) ... In my experience, I've also used zip lock bags and scales to measure out portions in advance (eg cereal, pasta, grapes) straight from after supermarket shopping, you can write on them what the calorie count is ... Snacks are good to keep at about 100 calories ...That makes it easier to keep track of what you are eating ... And keeping a food diary is essential ... The moment I have stopped keeping food diary, I instantly start relaxing my control, and then put weight back on. Reading labels and choosing low calorie options is key, but so is finding healthy foods that you like ... I've tried to follow lots of plans over the years and just hated what it said I had to eat, so of course I didn't stick to it ... It sounds like you have your head around the exercise part ... I love my exercise bike because it uses twice as many calories in the same amount of time as my treadmill, but my butt can't stay there for as long lol... I'd recommend sticking with what you are likely to continue with, and if 30 mins works for you, then do that, maybe if you wanted, you could do 2sessions of 30 mins if you wanted to increase it ... I'm sure you can do it ... Good job on what you have done so far, you have already climbed the first hurdle, you've started!!! Well done!
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!

Postby weightyissue2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:05 am

If you have an iPhone/iPad you can download the app "MyFitnessPal" it's like calorie counting but it does all the work, it's also available on their website, but I find I use it more on my Phone as I have it with me everywhere... If you're not sure what to eat, you could look it up and choose the best possible option...

As for food... I agree to try and eat as many whole foods as you can. I found that I did better when I cut out all the "unnecessary" carbs and filled up more on protein and veg, as our ancestors did! Carbs are just bad all round, but good on occasion.

A good day for me normally consists of: Cereal + yoghurt or milk + fruit for breakfast, salad and protein for lunch and dinner is veg and protein. In between I normally have a piece of fruit, healthy home made muffin or nuts or a miso soup and drink plenty of water and tea (no sugar or milk)...

As for cooking, maybe start off with a book called "cook yourself thin" it's everyday meals but cooked healthier and there are some great ones or get the biggest loser cookbook. Cooking is all about trial and error, if you follow the recipe, you should be OK... Start out with something small but you don't have to make a 3 course meal.

Boil some water, throw in brocolli, cauli and carrots for 10min - then there done. Chuck a piece of meat on the grill, normally 5 - 7 minutes each side. I cook my fish covered in foil in the oven for 15min and it comes out beautifully and making a salad is all about chopping and using a knife.

Good luck.
Small steps... AND... POOF! Weight gone :)

9.6.12 = 110kg

MY JOURNAL: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30064

Choc-Banana Muffins: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30080
Oven Baked Muesli: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30101

Return to Weight loss Talk