It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:38 am

Free Newsletter

Going to bed hungry

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Going to bed hungry

Postby APT » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:38 am

This isn't exactly "scientific", but I've found it really works well. The body is an amazing machine that can self-regulate, and it stands to reason that the body always seeks maintenance calories, so by going to bed hungry it makes sense that the body will be deprived of energy, and forced to go to fat stores while you sleep (which is the best time to burn fat anyway, when your heart-rate is low).

I've found that every day I eat healthy (not counting calories) and do exercise, and go to bed hungry, I wake up a bit lighter, and can notice the difference in appearance too. The key is also to avoid empty (non-filling) calories like sugary soft-drinks, lollies, chocolate etc. I find that even if I have a few drinks at a night club, I dance for so many hours that I burn it all off anyway. :)
APT

Postby KimE » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:16 am

I tend not to eat anything after about 8pm and even try for a bit earlier so I have a couple of hours of not eating before bed. Most of the time I stick to this and don’t have anything later….but not always. :roll:
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:42 am

thats the rumbling belly sound we were talking about in another post... my theory is that noise when you are in bed at night is your body burning all the fat!
kate_turner2000

Postby MissE » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:52 am

I don't go to bed hungry alot of the time, and I seem to be losing pretty well. having said that, i work really messed up hours and often i finish work at midnight or later, and the last time i ate was around 5 so I absolutely need something :D never have a big meal though, just enough to take the edge off
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby bluebox451 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi girls,

My theory is that if you dont wake up hungry in the morning then you are either eating too late at night or too much for your last meal/snack. I found this worked quite well for me when I was losing weight and if I woke up and I wasnt hungry then I would just decrease the amount or eat a little earlier.

Liz. :)
bluebox451

Postby Groovychic » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:07 pm

I always try to eat dinner by about 7 and I have never really been one to snack after tea. Unfortunately that's not one of my problems....which is a bugger cos it is a relatively easy one to overcome!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Puffer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:03 pm

What an eye opener! I, in theory, like to eat dinner early but in reality by the time I finish work at 5 or 6 and then go to the gym I don't get home until 7-8 and then including cooking/motivation time I don't eat until 8-9pm. I find this is particularly bad when I have to get up at 5am the next day, I always feel sick from sleeping with food in my stomach.

I'm not sure how I could get around this problem though... I don't want to make a rule that I don't eat dinner or eat a smaller dinner if I get home late because it is punishing me for being good and going to the gym :?
Puffer

Postby KimE » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:51 am

Hi Christina

Could you fit the gym in in the morning or during lunch? Then you could bring dinner forward to around 7.

Or have bigger meals during the day so you dinner is the smallest meal, so you don't feel like it is a punishment.

1 other suggestion is a meal replacement shake on the nights you go to the gym. I know, not as good as real food but you should still get all the nutrients you need.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Groovychic » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:25 am

I agree with Kim there. make lunch your biggest meal and have a replacement shake for dinner, then you don't have to worry about taking the time to prepare something for a meal. Having a main meal at lunch time may not be convenient for you tho. And I wouldn't suggest eating before the gym as it would make you sluggish anyway.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby bluebox451 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:22 am

Could you maybe prepare your meals in advance? I work most nights and dont get home til about 8.30pm :( so I can never be bothered with cooking/washing up at that time. What I do is (on Sundays or whenever) I cook up a huge batch of chicken to last me til Friday and I have salad ingredients all prepared in the fridge so when I get home I just throw the salad into a bowl and add a bit of dressing and reheat the chicken in the microwave and presto! I eat! Also, whenever I cook dinner for the family I always make extra and just freeze the leftovers in single portions. That way, if I get sick of having chicken I can break it up with other meals. If you're always prepared in advance then you will never be tempted to go for take away or other junk that may be calling your name :twisted:

Sorry for babbling - hope that helps.
Liz :D
bluebox451

Postby Puffer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks for the good suggestions guys! I'm not sure if much can really help in my situation, I feel really tired after I go to the gym and I struggle to get through the day if I go in the morning. I can't drink milk and so can't have the shakes (even the ones that you mix with water have milk powder in them) and I can't freeze meals because we only have a little freezer and it is always chock a block full (we get free meat from the father-in-laws farm but he lives 4 hrs away so we have to stock up big time when we go)

I think that eating more during the day and having a very light salad dinner is probably do-able though, I might give it a try and see how it goes, at least for the nights where I have to go to bed early :D
Puffer

Postby nettymum » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:22 pm

KimE wrote:I tend not to eat anything after about 8pm and even try for a bit earlier so I have a couple of hours of not eating before bed. Most of the time I stick to this and don’t have anything later….but not always. :roll:

Does that include drinking water as well ?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
nettymum

Postby KimE » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:52 am

Nope I have water all day long. I usually get through 2ltrs at work and then sip for the rest of the night.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Groovychic » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:36 pm

I drink all day long as well. Thats why I have to get up and pee at least once at night, but most of the time it's twice!!! Plus whenever I get up to pee at night I skull half a glass of water again.........hhhmmm no wonder I never get a good night's sleep!!! But I'd rather drink the water and not have a good night's sleep than not drink it.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby nettymum » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:32 pm

I drink 3ltrs a day, I try to have it all by 8pm so I'm not up all night peeing. :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
nettymum

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk