It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:05 am

Free Newsletter

Calories per day

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Calories per day

Postby sarahlovesjeff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering if any of you are sticking to a particular amount of calories per day, and if so how many??

I was talking to one of my american friends who said she has around 1400 calories per day asnd said that she did some readings that suggested that if you had any less you could get those 'skin flabs'???

I am currently sticking around 1000 calories a day, and I'm not starving myself either, every day is different. If I wake up later in the day, I won't have lunch and I'll usually just have A meal replacement, piece of fruit, dinner and dessert, when I wake up in the morning I will usually have the meal replacement shake, sandwich, fruit, dinner then dessert. (As well as those 'bad' no sugar soft drinks and a vitamin tablet) I have a few friends who think that sticking to around 1000 is too little, bui I find it works for me (I have lost 9.1kgs in the last month) So I'm lost.

Sarah
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 109.8
Start: 109.8
①: ②: ③: ④: ⑤:
⑥: ⑦: ⑧: ⑨: ⑩:
⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 1: Eat more fruit and veggies
sarahlovesjeff

Re: Calories per day

Postby MeowKapow » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm

I am eating 1400 - 1600 depending on whether I work out that day, I'm losing around .5kg a week. I think what your friend means by "skin flabs" is that rapid weight loss can leave you with loose skin if you have a lot of weight to lose and your skin elasticity is poor (age, genetics) From what I've gathered from things I've read 1200 calories is the lowest recommended. I think any less you might not be getting the right amount of nutrition and also likely hit a weight plateau sometime down the road.
MeowKapow

Postby SugarandSpice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 pm

I am going by what myfitnesspal tell me - which is 1460 cal/day - i don't always eat the whole amount and some days I may go up to 100 cal over - but I figure that is still quite low so ok
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby sarahlovesjeff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Maybe I should look at adding some calories. Today I had around 630 calories, but I woke up around 11am, so I had the meal replacement shake for breakfast, then I was peckish so I had a couple of slices of chicken meat (like what you put on sandwiches) and I had alfredo pasta for dinner. I don't feel hungry or like I need anything else.
Usually instead of the chicken meat I would have fruit, but my last banana didn't look so well.

Thanks for your fast replies.. I'll have to do something about the way I'm eating.
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
sarahlovesjeff

Postby sarahlovesjeff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 pm

I might add, my Mum told me she was watching Doctor Oz. and he suggested to mix up your calories and don't be afraid to go over your limit every now and then, then you are less likely to plateau. Interesting, not sure if it would work, but worth a look into
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
sarahlovesjeff

Postby SugarandSpice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 pm

mmm,,, that does sound too low!! I am certainly no expert but have read that if you go too low then your body switches to 'starvation' mode and holds on to more of the calories each day.

If you look at this site - it will tell you how much you should eat - to maintain your current weight - then you can reduce calories by say 500 per day to lose weight??

http://www.kriskris.com/how-many-calori ... eat-a-day/

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby sarahlovesjeff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:00 pm

I think what is stopping me from doing differently if the fact that I have lost 9.1kgs in the last month. Maybe I'll have to add fruit and veggies to each meal so that I am getting more food into my system. I've been doing this for a month, so I am getting used to eating like this.. Or I just make myself eat lunch, no matter the time I wake up then that would add the extra 300 calories?

Thank you for that Vicki!!
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
sarahlovesjeff

Postby Wannabskinnybex » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:04 am

Hey Sarah, 1000 is a tad low. Yes u will lose weight but wot happens is u get to a certain point and ur body realizes & goes into survival mode, which means storing. 1200 calories is recommended minimum. I use my fitness pal too. If u think u r eating okay, add some healthy high calorie snacks, like nuts or avocado. By doing this u r not eating rubbish, boosting ur metabolism & avoiding starvation mode. :D
Wannabskinnybex

Return to Weight loss Talk