It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:14 am

Free Newsletter

Motivational help!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Motivational help!

Postby Teenage struggle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm

I've really been struggling this week with my
Motivation in regards to the gym.
I've been great with eating especially after my birthday weekend but I feel like I've failed coz I haven't gone to the gym. I've been really stressed with school this week but I feel like That's a pathetic excuse!
I was thinking about taking a week off coz I've heard something aboutthat but I don't know if it really is beneficial?
Help with motivation or information on how often
I should be going to the gym?
Teenage struggle

Re: Motivational help!

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 pm

I dont know how often you should go to the gym but would say prolly 4-5 days/week.

Please dont thrash yourself about lack of motivation.

Accept that the past is past and set your future goals

Good luck :)

๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!
Retire_The_Fat

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Maybe change up your gym program a bit? Introduce a bit more variety? The great thing about the gym is that there are a huge variety of classes to try. Why not try one that you haven't done before?

Its great that you're doing well with your eating. Give yourself credit for what you're doing well. After all, a bad week at the gym is just that. One bad week. A healthy lifestyle is life long :)

good luck!
Linda Wooldridge

Postby journeyto80 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 am

Firstly, dont beat yourself up about not going to the gym, you will just upset yourself. Allow yourself to have a few days off and say... "thursday at 6pm ill be back at the gym", pack your gym bag the night before so your ready with no excuses. Just make yourself start going again, and dont think about it. Just get up and go. Your allowed a few days off - Chin up :) :)

But i would suggest finding an outdoor training group - I go 5 times a week and love it! Mainly because of all the girls i do it with - but also because its great motivation. Even if i dont want to go - i turn up see there smiling faces and im ready to work out... Motivating yourself is hard - so find a group to motivate you.
Goal: 80kg
Height: 170cm
Completed: 10 week exercise challenge (gained muscle and improved on all fitness assessments)
First Goal: 10km Fun Run on June 16th, Friends Wedding June 17th.... Want to look 10kg in 10 weeks.
journeyto80

Postby Teenage struggle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:16 pm

That's all really good advice and it will definitely help me when I have future freak outs haha.
I wanted to do a group training class but I don't know if I can afford it because I have to pay for my gym membership too, how much do they cost?
Teenage struggle

Postby journeyto80 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I pay $130 a month. It's more then a gym. But well worth it for the encouragement and advice :)
Goal: 80kg
Height: 170cm
Completed: 10 week exercise challenge (gained muscle and improved on all fitness assessments)
First Goal: 10km Fun Run on June 16th, Friends Wedding June 17th.... Want to look 10kg in 10 weeks.
journeyto80

Postby Jarrah25 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 am

I recently bought a book by the biggest loser trainer Michelle Bridges and I think she had the best advice regarding motivation - forget motivation and focus on consistency. Everyone is going to have days when they don't feel motivated - especially with winter approaching. She advises not to wait to be motivated or find ways to motivate yourself - just do it, even if you tell yourself you are going only exercise for 10minutes (which will likely lead to a longer session once your start).

I took from it that 'motivation' is just another one of our excuses we use to stop us from reaching our goals and then started to look at why i keep finding these excuses - my biggest one is that 'I don't have time'. What about everyone else and what have you done to overcome it?
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 67.7
Start: 67.7
①: 67.7 ②:67.0 ③: 66.9 ④: ⑤:
⑥: ⑦: ⑧: ⑨: ⑩:
⑪: ⑫:
Jarrah25

Postby Mayden » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:15 am

I have also lost motivation, but yesterday I went on a 30 minute walk, I just walked faster. Today I will be washing down walls and cleaning, so while not actually exercising I will have a double benefit.
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Return to Weight loss Talk