It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Free Newsletter

How to Eat Out Without Piling on the Pounds!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How to Eat Out Without Piling on the Pounds!

Postby ryanphillips » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:23 am

Hey guys

Sharing some love on the forum and hope this helps some of you guys :) The biggest challenge I had when I changed my diet was eating out. It wasn't even because of the food, the food I eat for my diet is tasty, varied, nice and all around good food. The problem I had was I loved going out for food to be social, and eating out when trying to drop fat can be tricky.. but, it doesn't have to be a cause for panic. You guys can use these 5 simple tips to eat out and not pile on the pounds.. works for me anyways.

# 1 Eat a small fat loss snack before eating out

This will fill you up so you don't over indulge at the restaurant, my personal snack of choice is tuna with cottage cheese mixed together with a small amount of sweetcorn.

Other snacks you can try are nuts, carrot sticks with humus and peanuts.

Remember this tip is so you don't go over the top at the restaurant. Trust me it helps, but at the end of the day the best way to overcome this is by developing your self discipline. When you are full, stop eating. Period! It will be harder at first just like with any skill you develop but it becomes easier with practice.

When I'm coaching students in martial arts I always explain that if you want to get your arm muscle bigger or stronger you have to exercise that muscle, simple logic right? Now think of your brain as a muscle.. if you want to get any part of it stronger or smarter all you have to do is exercise that part of your brain. Whether is your confidence, focus, self discipline, anything.. the more you work it the stronger it becomes! Work on your self discipline.

# 2 Include as many of the 3 fat loss food groups as possible

The 3 fat loss food groups are protein, legumes and vegetables. An example would be if you order a salad, ask the waiter to add chicken to your salad so you include the protein food group in your meal, remember your the paying customer and it's the waiters job to serve you and make your meal more enjoyable, you can have your meal prepared any way you like. Don't be to shy to request anything for example:

Could you go light on the (whatever sauces are being used)
Can you replace the (token carb) with vegetables
Can I have my burger without cheese and mayo, add extra lettuce and tomatoes instead

# 3 Load up on vegetables

This of course adds one of the fat loss food groups to the meal and you can eat as much vegetables as you wish, vegetables have almost no effect on blood sugar level and have very low calories. One thing people get confused with with fat loss, especially rapid fat loss is they think it's OK to eat fruit. Fruit is not an essential part of a healthy balanced diet, it do any harm eating it once per week on your cheat day but it certainly isn't need everyday to be healthy let alone to drop fat.

The basic formula is fruit = sugar, fructose = glycerol phosphate = triglycerides (via the liver) = fat storage.

# 4 Drink water and eat slowly

Taking longer to eat your food actually aids fat loss. A growing number of studies confirm that eating slower means you consume less calories because it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you're full. If you eat fast you will continue eating past the point of where you are full. If you eat slowly you have time to realize that you're full and can stop in the right time. It is actually enough to lose 20Lbs a year by doing nothing else but eating slower.

Drinking water has many health benefits but by drinking water at a meal and by drinking a glass (preferably a pint) of water before you go out for a meal you will get full faster. This is because the brain sends hunger signals out when you are mildly dehydrated, next time you feel hungry have a glass of water before you reach for the cookies

#5 Listen To Your Body

Like we said earlier in the post it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain you're full; so when you start to feel full stop eating. You don't have to eat until your plate is empty, develop the habit of leaving food on your plate when you start to feel full. If your someone who doesn't like food going to waste then box it up and take it with you.

Hope you like :)

Re: How to Eat Out Without Piling on the Pounds!

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 am

Some good tips

Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!

Re: How to Eat Out Without Piling on the Pounds!

Postby Colleen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Great suggestions. I'll put them into practise next time I'm out whilst dieting.

Thanks for the tips.

Return to Weight loss Talk