It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:31 am

Free Newsletter

Curves - not a good kg loss!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Curves - not a good kg loss!

Postby 60kg2go! » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Everyone!

Hope your journey has been good so far.

Was looking for some opinions - I attend my gym 5 days a week (curves 30 min circuit) and in my first month I only lost 1kg. A result I'm not happy with. I know I've created muscle and lost 26.5cm overall but I honestly expected more weightloss. I don't want to be losing 1kg a month - it'll take me 5 years to get to my goal. am thinking of doing their new 90 program but not sure.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

BTW: I'm still breastfeeding my 8mth old

Re: Curves - not a good kg loss!

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:04 pm

I dont know how much success curves has as a whole. I've known quite a few ppl who have gone religiously but they dont seem to lose weight.

At 8 months your baby should be getting quite a bit of nutrition from food sources so you should be able to look at some form of diet. Breast feeding expends energy so you should also be having some sort of weight loss there

I think it's time for you to look at your intake and to make sure you're drinking enough fluids

Good luck :)

Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!

Postby weightyissue2012 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 am

Hi 60kg2go!

I also attend curves, I've been a member on and off for the last 5 years, and the other day was the first time I truely felt that I used curves the right way! I felt amazing! I was sweating, felt like I was going to puke and it really was a 30min workout!

I think that unless you are using the machines the right way, that we won't see a benefit from it. Go in there and push yourself to the max, say "I want to get x amount of reps on this machine" and achieve that goal, you'll use the recovery boards as they are really meant for.

Best of luck.
Small steps... AND... POOF! Weight gone :)

9.6.12 = 110kg

MY JOURNAL: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30064

Choc-Banana Muffins: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30080
Oven Baked Muesli: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30101

Postby CGS » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Never go by weight loss. You're losing cms and that's what matters. And I wish I could lose that many cm in a month, and I was absolutely killing myself at the gym for months. Now I dont have the luxury. I've been getting measured by my gym since August last year. In that time I've lost at least 7% body fat but only 2-2.5kg. Gained a heap of muscle. Yes it's depressing when the scales arent going down but I'm now fitting into the clothes I last fitted in when I was 2kg lighter than my current weight. So I'm heavier yet the skinniest I've been in years. Go figure. I'd haved liked to get back to my uni weight but if I did that I'd have barely any fat left on my body since i've built up a lot of new muscle, so my goal is clothes size.

Postby Weightgetlost » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi 60kgstogo

My experience was that I stuck it out for 1year about 3years ago going 3 times a week. I didn't lose any weight but lost a small amount of cms.

I felt I was working to the best of my ability according to the target heart rates for my age and the light indicators on the machines.

In the end I just found it very repetative with no results.

Goal Weight 61kg
Starting Weight 68.5kg
GW for end of May 67kg
GW for end of July 65kg
GW for end of Sept 63kg
GW for end of Nov 61kg

Postby lil_weiron » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi there,

Curves member here too, been on and off for a few years now currently just getting back into it after having my son 6 months ago.. I originally joined to help myself quit smoking & figured having some form of exercise as back up would help with the process & try to eliminate weight gain that most people experience after giving up ciggarettes.. although I never really lost any weight I actually felt the best and looked the best I had in a while, I fit into size 10 clothes back then which was awsum as i've always been a 12 .. after having my baby im now a 14!! so i hope i can get back to how i felt before the pregnancy..

A few things ive learnt along the way, dont try fad diets.. they never last.. if ur after a rapid loss the shakes do work & apparently they provide you with all the minerals etc that ur body needs.. but they are no designed for long term use and you have to be ready to eat healthy foods and keep up ur 30 minutes if you want to keep the weight off once you stop them..oh and beware of the "fat free" or low fat products.. sometimes they are high in sugar content and apparently sugar is fat if its not burned off.. so look for sugar free products too!

Also for those that are stressing over not losing much weight.. your losing the cm's your toning up and looking good.. the reason why the scales are tricking you is because youve gained muscle which weighs more then fat does.. but at the end of the day ur doing great because losing fat is a fantastic achievement ! Curves is great for toning up etc.. but I do believe you need some normal paced excercise to burn fat rather then high intensity workouts to gain muscle.. like walking for example.. if u can find time to have a 30 minute walk i think it will make the scales show u some better numbers !

These are just my thoughts and opinions from my experiences and the things ive learnt along the way - just puttin it out there for yall :-)

Return to Weight loss Talk