It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:50 am

Free Newsletter

weights then cadio...???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

weights then cadio...???

Postby jojo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:19 pm

G'day there.

Quick question...

I've read so many conflicting articals on cardio and weight training and am so confused as to whether I'm supposed to do weights first or cardio.

Which combination is more effective (particularly with weight loss)???

Postby bluebox451 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:47 pm

You're right, there are a lot of different opinions about this. My personal opinion is you should do whatever you want to get the most out of - if you want to go really hard with your cardio then do it first so you can give it your all. Same goes for weights - if you want to lift heavy then do it first so you're not fatigued by the cardio. Some people say you should do weights first because you only use carbohydrates for lifting so then your carbohydrate stores will be depleted and your body will then burn more fat for cardio - I also agree with this but I dont know whether it makes a huge difference because I know people who have lost significant amounts both ways. In the end its up to you and what suits you better. I hope I havent confused you even more :?

Liz :D

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:47 am

im not sure about those ones either although i did watch Dr Phil yesterday on austar (lol i know i have no life lol ) the personal trainer guy on there said :
Immediately schedule in three full-body strength training workouts and four cardio workouts for each week. Make a full commitment to these workouts. Do not miss or cancel them; if you absolutely must miss one, make it up immediately. Exercise is vital in both your short and long term weight loss efforts. If you are currently exercising, step it up to the next level.
i usually do 1 day of weight resistence exercises with my rubber band things and handweights and alternate that with walking for 30 mins every otherday or if i acn get on the bike ill do that instead of walking
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby SarahC » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:53 pm

I always do cardio first, then the weights, so that my muscles are warm. Don't think it's good to do weights without warming up first :?

Postby KimE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:08 pm

I don't usually do my weights and cardio sessions together but when I do, I do weights first then cardio. However I always warm up before weights and have a few short programs specifically for this. I don't know if this is necessarily better than the other way around it is just what works for me and what I am now used to.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby jojo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:25 pm

thanks so much for your replies guys.

I watched that on Dr Phil!!! (Just quietly-not so sure about the name if his program "Dr Phil's Booty camp"-sounds crude).

I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as you do it. Never heard that about carbs though, that's interesting.

Postby Vixen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:10 pm

Hello. I have found that the only thing that really matters is that you stretch afterwards :) Otherwise you (I am) stiff and sore, but if I stretch I don't have any pains :)

Postby APT » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:53 pm

A lot of people find breaking up their cardio with weights to be effective: do half your cardio, then your weights, then the other half of your cardio. Its better than doing all your cardio in one block and getting bored.

Return to Weight loss Talk