It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

Doctors and weight advice.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Doctors and weight advice.

Postby Metalcharm » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Here's a story from the SMH website today.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/health-and- ... 20952.html

Did your doctor ever talk to you abotu your weight?
If they did would you take it on board or would you be sensitive about it?

I did have a doctor talk to me once about my weight. I wasn't there for anything weight related but she brought it up and even though it was nothing I didn't really know to hear it from a doctor made it hit home. It was probably within six months that I started my weight loss.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Re: Doctors and weight advice.

Postby Rhonda » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 am

Well I can’t say I have ever had a fat friendly doctor (and I would never want one) what I would like is a doctor who will look at what you have wrong with you and not just assume that it’s because your fat. I would like them to look at all possible causes. It’s not just fat people though doctors in general don’t look into things unless you kick and scream and shout. My brother in law died last year on the 10th of March from cancer. He went to the doctor complaining of back pain, doctor sent him away saying it was only natural his back was in pain because he worked in a drycleaners and it was manual work. My uncle died 2 weeks ago again from cancer he went to the doctor saying he couldn’t swallow they told him it was reflux. I have a lot of other examples of where people I know have been misdiagnosed. I don’t go to the doctors unless I feel like there is something really wrong with me and to be brushed off drives me nuts.
Rhonda

Postby Old MacDonald » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks for the support in my weight loss blog metalcharm.
My Dr raised it in July last year when I was 92kg, and put me with a nutritionist, but I just ate more healthy food and got up to 94kg by January this year.
Through my own research, I started weighing my food and counting kilojoule's, but my DR was the only one to raise my weight issue in the first place, he said I had gained weight before even weighing me. I wasn't offended and it woke me up really, just took me 6 months to start losing it.
I've only been exercising for a 6 weeks now, so getting my fitness/cardio work done while keeping my weight steady around 72kg.
By the way, your result was outstanding. Well done.
start date 14/1/2012
sw 94kg
bmi 31.5

Old MacDonald

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:55 am

My doctor subtly brought up the issue of my weight on most visits, usually in relation to some other health issue. It took eight years of prodding to finally get me to do something about it.

I still have a photocopied A4 sheet of weight-loss techniques (food portions, kilojoule counting, etc) he'd given me after one discussion in which I'd grudgingly admitted I *might* have a problem. I ignored it for nearly a decade - but still have it in my files as a reminder of my stupidity.

Losing weight and becoming relatively healthy has helped a lot, since I'm ill a lot less than I was and there is less chance that other serious illnesses are masked by obesity and its own set of symptoms.

I DO wish my doctor had pressured me more about losing weight, but ultimately I doubt I'd have taken his advice until I was good and ready. It's like smokers - how many of them take their doctor's advice to quit?

On a related note, I'm sure I read an anecdote a while back in this forum about a GP who asked a grossly obese patient to get another doctor because the patient wasn't taking any of his advice to lose weight and he felt he was wasting his time trying to improve her health.
CronicBadger

Return to Weight loss Talk