It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:51 am

Free Newsletter

Why do you want to lose weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why do you want to lose weight?

Postby echo13 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of soul searching after being on the diet rollercoaster for the last ten years, and I started wondering - each time I start the weight loss journey, what really drives me to do it?

I think I've been telling myself for so long that I'm doing this for myself, to get fit, to achieve that overall sense of well-being etc... but am I really doing it for me?

And if not, is it ok to have a more 'superficial' goal, ie fitting into a wedding dress, looking good at a big event, catching the eye of a guy etc, where the heart of your goal isn't actually your health?

I have good medical reasons to lose weight (liver issues) yet this isn't sufficient to get me off my butt and get moving! When I ask myself honestly, the real driver is this perception that I have a much hotter, healthier boyfriend than me and I just want to be beautiful for him. How shameful and sad!

What drives you guys to lose weight?
SW: 83.2kgs
CW: 76.2kgs
GW: 60kgs
echo13

Re: Why do you want to lose weight?

Postby FHS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 pm

For me being diagnosed with cancer is my reason to stay as healthy as possible.
Also I am now in the fitness profession so being an example and an inspiration to the people I help.

Finding the real reason why is something i spend a lot of time on with my clients. Even if it takes a bit longer getting the why, it is worthwhile as it becomes the drive and inspiration to do what it takes to reach your goals.

I don't see there being a challenge with having a superficial goal, as long as you are doing things the right way and they line up with your values and what you believe than go ahead.

My overall goals are to be as fit, healthy and strong as i can be to make sure the cancer doesn't come back, but then i also have a goal of getting a 6pack.

Hope this helps, all the best, keep on track and those goals and dreams won't be far off :-)
I lost 25 kilos when I was 19 and have kept it off ever since.
At 22 I was diagnosed with cancer - Burkitts Leukaemia, had 8 rounds of intense chemotherapy and battled with my weight again right throughout this journey.
I am now Fitter Healthier and Stronger than I ever have been and i am now in the health and fitness profession helping others become Fitter Healthier and Stronger.
Please check out my blog
http://www.fitterhealthierstronger.com/blog
FHS

Postby nari1208 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 pm

For me, I want to lose weight to be fit and healthy. And dieting would really help. It will help us avoid the foods which are not good for the health. it also motivates us to work out, which could help us to be strong and fit. :mrgreen:
nari1208

Postby ramatang » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

I want to be able to wear jeans and look good in them.. And I also would like to love the camera.. There are so many photos of my kids with their dad but I'm not in any of them as I feel I will kill the photo.. I just want to look good..
ramatang

Postby nari1208 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:14 pm

ramatang wrote:I want to be able to wear jeans and look good in them.. And I also would like to love the camera.. There are so many photos of my kids with their dad but I'm not in any of them as I feel I will kill the photo.. I just want to look good..

I know you can do it. Everything is possible. :)
Just workout, exersie eat right foods. you can able to lose all you want :)
nari1208

Postby loulou87 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:10 am

I don't think it's wrong to have aesthetic reasons to want to lose weight, don't deny what you really feel! I know I have to lose weight for my health, I'm fortunate that I don't have any major side-effects of being overweight... yet. But I know that if I keep it up it's highly likely that I'll get diabetes eventually. Lately though, I could feel the strain on my knees and ankles... and I can get really bad lower back pain if I stand at a slight angle (like doing the dishes) because I just have too much tummy fat...

Anyway, what motivates me is a mixture of health and aesthetics. I have not been able to fit into a pair of jeans as an adult. I feel very, very uncomfortable shopping for swimmers. I HATE it when I walk into a clothes store and find the perfect dress but the sales girl tells me they don't carry sizes larger than a 14. I want to wear thigh-high stockings, pencil skirts, printed stockings, BLACK MILK LEGGINGS, my dream wedding dress... the list goes on.
loulou87

Postby nari1208 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:38 am

loulou87 wrote:I don't think it's wrong to have aesthetic reasons to want to lose weight, don't deny what you really feel! I know I have to lose weight for my health, I'm fortunate that I don't have any major side-effects of being overweight... yet. But I know that if I keep it up it's highly likely that I'll get diabetes eventually. Lately though, I could feel the strain on my knees and ankles... and I can get really bad lower back pain if I stand at a slight angle (like doing the dishes) because I just have too much tummy fat...

Anyway, what motivates me is a mixture of health and aesthetics. I have not been able to fit into a pair of jeans as an adult. I feel very, very uncomfortable shopping for swimmers. I HATE it when I walk into a clothes store and find the perfect dress but the sales girl tells me they don't carry sizes larger than a 14. I want to wear thigh-high stockings, pencil skirts, printed stockings, BLACK MILK LEGGINGS, my dream wedding dress... the list goes on.

hi there. I also get your point and understand you. :) I know how that feels. Surely, once you get motivated and aim for the goal, you can wear what you want. Right? :) it is your motivation!
nari1208

Postby tinny » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm

True. Health might be the initiator, but one also wants to look good, of course. And diabetes is a very good reason to start with. It can lead to complications later as well and if it is preventable through weight loss, brilliant! I have started a blog recently, dealing with metabolic issues such as diabetes, problems with the immune system, hope to give some motivation and hope as well.
tinny

Postby sofia22 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 am

Personnally, my fat stomach is embarassing me.

Every times I go to the beach, I always feel embarassed, sad.

I want to be sexy.
sofia22

Postby Colleen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Sofie

Your on the right track then. Losing weight makes you feel sexier.

Keep eating healthy food and exercising and you'll feel better about yourself.
Just the exercise alone makes me feel better and its more satisfying than watching the rubbish that is on tv at present.

I imagine myself as thinner and have several new peices of clothing hanging around my bedroom and bathroom for motivation. I picture myself wearing them and feel closer to this goal every time I loose some weight. I am exercising each evening and walking daily and losing on average of .5kg each week.

My goal weight is 53kg at present I weigh 68.5kgs.

Good luck with your weight journey:-)

Cheers
Colleen

Postby Bella_lestrange » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm the same. I'm not really thinking about health issues. I just want to feel happy again and comfortable in my own skin. I barely wanted to leave the house for a while because I just felt so unattractive and always worry about what other people are thinking. Also my partner is an ex personal trainer and has an amazing muscular body and I feel like people wonder why he's with me. My reasons for losing weight is to feel sexy again and confident and be able to wear whatever I want. We can do it! Sexy here we come! =)
Bella_lestrange

Postby misk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:33 pm

For me i just had a moment where i thought, 'It's time'! I'm engaged, a year or two off of having kids and my dad has had major issues with diabetes. I couldn't imagine getting married looking the way I am, I couldn't imagine having kids being as unfit as I am and I didn't want to suffer through the same issues with diabetes as my dad.

...But fitting in a pair of skinny jeans would be awesome also :wink:
misk

Postby Killer Jules » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm 5'10" & 93kg. I haven't touched alcohol in over 20 years, but I have a beer-gut. My arms and legs are perfectly normal size ~ no fat whatsoever.

It's just that I look exactly like that famous picture of Demi Moore standing sideways to the mirror when she was pregnant.

For years my main meal of the day has mostly been rice with chicken or fish, simply because I love it.

My downfall has been little exercise since retiring from work, and snacking on 'comfort' foods when watching television in the evening.

I'm having open heart surgery in 8 weeks time, and they mentioned that losing a bit of weight could only benefit me.

A little to my surprise none of the 4 doctors who are involved in this operation have been particularly interested in me losing weight, but I've taken up the challenge anyway.

I've done 8 days so far of 3km walks at 6kph twice a day. That's walking "as though you're late for catching a bus". My calves hurt. That's the worst thing. I tried jogging but found I was too unfit. I'm 69, don't smoke, don't drink.

By FAR the hardest part of the whole programme is cutting down on snacking. It makes for very boring evenings in front of the TV.

Best wishes to all of you!

Killer Jules.
Killer Jules

Postby carol43 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:11 am

Primarily, it is for health reason, second is because I want to look good and third, I like to prove to myself than I can go back to my previous weight. I was not always heavy, so I believe I can still go back to my previous weight. My weight built up only after I became an emotional eater. A friend of mine has a similar eating disorder and she recommended Liproxenol to me to help suppress my appetite. Turns out to be the best advice I got from her..lol.
carol43

Postby MissK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 am

My reasons are a bit of a combo of all the above!
I want to be able to fit into the clothes that I used to wear.
I want to be able to wear bathers and feel confident and not hide behind a towel.
I want to not wobble!!
I want to look like I did when partner and I first got together.
I want to be able to be in bed with partner, and not have an argument about "leaving the lights on"
I want to be healthier and happier.
MissK

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk