It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 am

Free Newsletter

Heeeelp!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Heeeelp!

Postby lvarbrew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Hello all!

I'm in need of some advice. I am really struggling to lose the last 5-7 kilos and am not sure what to do...maybe some of you lovely people will be able to assist me!

Last year, I lost 10 kilos successfully through healthy eating and the Celebrity Slim meal replacement diet. I hardly did any exercise, and I was lucky enough that during this time the weight just fell off. I'm down from around 80kg to 70kg...and have been at that weight since this time last year. I have managed to maintain 70kg with no trouble, however I want to get down to 65kg (ish) and am finding it INCREDIBLY hard. I am not a big eater, and more than happy to exercise--I have no issue in doing what I have to to make it happen (within reason)...and over this past month I have been eating really well, doing daily exercise (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and about to add some classes/time at the gym), and I haven't lost a kilo or an inch. Originally, I was eating around 1200 calories a day, however after doing some research into the BMR I decided to increase it to 1500-1700 a day (especially since I started exercising on top of that), which I think is better (but who knows). The exercise DVD I am doing incorporates strength and cardio training, so I'm not missing anything there...what more should I be doing?

Given that it is the last 5 ish kilos I know it will be harder to shake, but this is just becoming frustrating. Anyone have any advice?
lvarbrew

Re: Heeeelp!

Postby SydneyPT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:21 pm

You are over eating. Calories in vs calories out. Tell us what you eat in a day along with quantity and I can help you out.

Increased calories? For BMR? What do you mean and what did this research say?
Check out my Facebook page- Insanely Fit Personal Training
SydneyPT

Postby lvarbrew » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks for the reply! :)

Well, theoretically I am over eating, however I'm probably my at the end of the day because I struggle to meet 1500 calories anyway--so it's possible that I'm still eating the 1200. A typical day looks something like this:

Breakfast
1-2 boiled eggs (if I remember, I hate breakfast)

Lunch
Spinach & rocket with 1 can of tuna and around 2 tablespoons of balsamic dressing

Dinner
Typically a small meal made up of 50% veggies, 25% meat and 25% carbs. For example, we might have grilled chicken (say half or a small breast) and a selection of roasted/steamed veggies, or we might have chicken burritos (made with the packet mix) with spinach, salsa and then the tortilla.

Snacks
If I have them...10-12 Sakatas, piece of fruit, sometimes a party sized Milky Way or Freddo if I'm feeling deprived (haha).

Drinks
1 litre of water (I know, not enough, but I struggle with this)
1 Tea with skim milk and 2 equals
Occasionally orange juice, maybe a couple of times a week

The BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate, and calculates the number of calories your body burns at rest (so, the calories your body needs to live without doing anything). It takes into account your weight, age and censored. My doc recommended I look into it; apparently if you go below your BMR it slows your metabolism as your body thinks it's going into starvation mode (which, to be honest, makes sense). She believes it's a healthy way of decreasing calories, and isn't a big believer in low calorie diets in general. In my case, my BMR is 1516, so--in theory--I should be adding calories based on my daily exercise and THEN decreasing the usual 500 a day (to make up the 3500 a week that makes up a pound). It's interesting, definitely have a look into it.
lvarbrew

Postby SydneyPT » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Breakfast. Just the eggs or do you have other things with it?
Lunch. Is the can of tuna in springwater? Balsamic dressing? How much fat/carbs in it?
Dinner. What veges do you have? chicken burritos in a packet mix. How much carbs and fats on the nutritional information? Again, salsa. What is in it? Does it have oils? Tortilla. Is it a light tortilla? Carb heavy?
Snacks. Sakatas. Are they flavoured? Piece of fruit. Which one? Bananas, apples and grapes are your higher carb fruits. Chocolate. It is ok but if it pushes you over your carb limit, you are going to again body fat.
Drinks. Again, how much milk? Orange juice. How much? Some juices have more sugar than Coke.

You have to break EVERYTHING down. It all counts.

Yes, I know what BMR is. Starvation mode theory is so blown out of proportion it is starting to get ridiculous. There was a study based in Minnesota where a group of men where given food (while still being in a CALORIC deficit) and monitored. They continued to lose weight. So this whole 'your body clinging onto fat' is BS. You will still continue to lose weight even at an extreme caloric deficit. Yes, your BMR will decrease by as much as 45% but YOU WILL STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

You are simply overeating. Recalculate your macronutrient requirements.
Check out my Facebook page- Insanely Fit Personal Training
SydneyPT

Postby sofia22 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 am

Personnaly, I had sucess with sport+ veggies.

I love riding my bike.

What I do is for example, i'm going for a 1h ride, and then after I eat a nice salad, or some radish, carrots, etc.
sofia22

Postby Colleen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Sounds very healthy Sophie

Especially the 1 hr ride and the salad afterwards.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Cheers
Colleen

Postby Colleen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:01 am

Heeeeelp

I weighed in this morning and I had put on .7kg. Previously I had been averaging a loss of .5kg per week. A very disappointing result as I am eating 1200 calaries a day and exercising regularly. Is it possible that it is muscle weight as I never exercised before and now I am walking 3 times a day and doing exercise as well.

I'm determined not to let this set back my diet and exercise regeme. I have never dieted before for any length of time and thought that if I exercised and ate 1200 calaries each day I would always loose some weight each week.
Obviously I'm wrong. I didn't expect to gain weight.

Do you have any advice?
Colleen

Postby Colleen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Heelp

I want to know if I target my exercises to my thighs and waist plus dieting will I necessarily loose weight in those areas first. Or will I just tone the muscles there and loose weight elsewhere.

I am a size 12 top and size 14 going toward size 16 elsewhere. Therefore I'd like to loose weight on my thighs and waistline first if possible
Colleen

Postby PrettyInspiring » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi Colleen

You can't just pick a spot on your body to lose weight we would love to but your body will lose the weight where it want's to it the same when a trainer tells you. You can't spot train until you have reach you goal this is mainly for defining your muscle not losing weight. So you answered your question there you will tone and lose weight else where.

If you are worried about your tummy could you be bloated? I know while losing weight I discovered I was lactose intolerant and also needed to have a gluten free diet. And this was causing my stomach to extend more once I changed how I was eating and also cut out caffeine my stomach went done. :)
My Weight Loss in Total

Start Weight: 141 Kilos
Goal Weight: 65 Kilos
Weight Now: 71 kilos
PrettyInspiring

Postby Colleen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks Pretty Inspiring

That clarified my question. I'm just in a hurry to loose weight around my wais and thighs but I suppose I'll just have to be patient and happy that I'm loosing weight constantly each week.

I have never dieted seriously before and have a lot to learn. That's why I like this forum its a comfortable place to ask any questions.

By the way your weight loss so far is inspiring :D

Thanks again
Cheers
Colleen

Return to Weight loss Talk