It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Desperately need some help and advice

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Desperately need some help and advice

Postby Firefly2000 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting. I'm a severely overweight 37yo guy (135kg, 5'8"). After a lifetime of working in a high pressure finance job thats kept me sitting at a desk I have quit my job in New York to move back to Sydney with a single goal - to finally get a handle on losing weight.

No matter how much I tried, with the long hours I was never able to commit enough to the gym. So now the plan is to use the move back to Sydney to take a few months off (approx 3-5months) and build some good habits and some momentum in the weight loss. I just can't do it whilst working the hours I routinely do.

Initial thoughts are to start with a 1.5hrs walk along the shore each morning as well as some swimming andeliptical trainer and eventually Bodypump and maybe the odd boxing class after a few months. I'm going to see a nutritionist about diet but I do find I feel better when I don't eat things like bread or starch so am looking into Paleo or Primal diets. Egg white omelettes and breakfast smoothies already feature in my diet.

This is the hardest things I've ever tried to do before. If anyone can offer suggestions or encouragement I'd really appreciate it

Wish me luck!!!

Firefly2000
Firefly2000

Re: Desperately need some help and advice

Postby Colleen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi

Sounds like you are in a great frame of mind for change. Good luck with the weight loss. Your proposed exercise program sounds wonderful. I'm not keen on specific diets myself but find healthy eating and smaller portions are doing the trick for me, plus exercise.

Hope all goes well for you.

Cheers
Colleen

Postby Aims78 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Hello

I found myself in a similar situation with a high pressure, long hrs job, and the day came where I just said, you know what, I need to get up earlier and walk 10kms before work and I need to join a 24 hr gym that then lets me take control and be able to still work, and train after work, no matter what time i finish.

When you start seeing results, it immediately spurs you on, you want to go do that walk and get up, and you want to go to the gym and finish at a semi reasonable hr because you want more results.

Lots of little meals, get the metabolism going. Carbs at lunch only. You will immediately see success.

Good Luck :)
Aims78

Postby Blitz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:28 am

Like Colleen I'm not a fan of diets. The main reason we got to where we are/were is more about portion size rather than what type of food we eat. The bottom line to weight loss is really simple - use up more energy than you consume daily while keeping your body ticking over so that it will draw from your fat reserves. Of cause, theory is simple...putting it into practice and making it your lifestyle, that's the hard bit!

My first rule in exercise - do no harm. I started with small 10 minute walks and built up slowly. Always mindful to push myself to do more but never at the expense of doing damage. I do recommend swimming. I found that it was very good at working all the body and the water supported the my weight.

In the 60 weeks it took me to reach my goal weight my self employed business did suffer as I place much of my energy and focus in sorting my lifestyle change but it's that kind of mind set that is the difference between trying to loose weight and succeeding in weight loss. So you're trending the right path to success!

Finally let me encourage you. I was a "super obese" rated 52 year old guy (5' 6" 153.7kg) with asthma, bad back and a huge hernia who managed to lose 87kgs. If I could do to - there's no reason why you can't do it. Best wishes on your journey to success. :D
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Firefly2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks everyone for your encouragement in this. I know its going to be hard work. I'll keep this forum iupdated on my progress.

Thanks!
Firefly2000

Postby misk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Wishing you all the luck in your venture!! The best ideas I can give you, one's you've probably read before, that have been helping me:

- Water, drink lots of it! And tea, green tea/white tea! Has helped me so much with feeling fuller despite eating a hell of a lot less than I was!

- Invest in some really good jogger/running shoes! I started off using my skater/everyday shoes and after week two my feet were killing! Bought a pair of Nikes and a pair of ADIDAS runners and that was the best thing I ever did!

- Also buy some good lycra shorts, good for stopping chaffing and a hell of alot more comfortable than just shorts - i wear my lyric shorts under regular shorts.

- Another investment :P Buy a heartrate monitor/calorie counter. I've just got around to buying one because not knowing exact amunts of how much i've burnt off or whether i was in the best 'heart rate zone' was driving me nuts!

- Record what you eat, somewhere, anywhere. Writing it down makes me think about whether the food is 'worth it' and become accountable for it!

Anyway they're the best things i've found out so far :D
misk

Postby ChubbyBel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I dont have a lot of advice, because I am embarking on this challenge also! It is so hard. But I wanted to say well done for taking that step for your health. Putting everything on hold (that is possible) to develop habits that will potentially prolong your life is such a fantastic thing to do!

I find this forum Very very motivating. I wish you the best of luck :)
ChubbyBel

Postby Stay-Fit-4-Life » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi ChubbyBel

i find as fare as exercise go's you need to keep it simple as for example a 1hour walk in the morning 3 to 4 times a week is a good workout for losing weight and you wont burn your self out with crunches in the beginning. Your better off saving them for the end when your much closer to your goal weight you know the kiss method (keep it simple stupid) plus its free also if you work an office you needs to be Monitoring what you eat and have a plan also the only other thing i could tell you witch is the most important thing over any weight loss information anybody can give you. You need your mind in the right place first as this is you most powerful tool this is also on of the biggest reasons why people fail of put all the weight back on when they stop wanting it that's why i say it needs to be a (life style) not a diet because what you think about comes about

i hope this helps

kind regards
Scott
Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed business link
Stay-Fit-4-Life

Return to Weight loss Talk