It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Newbie - Calory intake versus exercise

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Newbie - Calory intake versus exercise

Postby misk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Well looks like i've managed to lose another kilo this week :D :D

I went silly at a wedding last wkend after my first loss and was worried what the scales would show. Then I wasn't well at all this week so I completely dropped jogging on the treadmill but did a 20min bike ride in the morning and then 20min bike ride in the evening each day, with one day off. So glad you said to add more of the bike riding Blitz, it burns so many calories in so little time while not killing my asthma in the same way the treadmill does!

I haven't managed to stick to my other plan at all - lunges/squats/etc - but i'm not too fussed, I just couldn't keep my attn on it, would rather ride for a bit longer than do it all, will try again after the holiday. But I do like the jumping jacks, quick, gets my heart racing and is great for warming the body up in the mornings.

I have also upped my calorie intake, only a little bit, from 1200 to 1300-1350 but i'm using the calories for either more green beans with dinner a snack of celery with hommus or a home-made ice-cream each night just made from a frozen then blended banana. Figure that's gotta be better, and more natural, than the Skinny Cow ice creams surely.

I'd already decided i'm going to use the gym on the ship, try to stick to 30mins, at least, to an hour, each morning mostly so i can maintain my weight while I have the steaks/breakies/chocolate factory tasters and winery wine. Hoping to check out the weights maybe or even the rower - what do you think of rowing machines?? Think it would be a bit much to hope for a weight LOSS while on a cruise :lol:
misk

Postby Blitz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Another kilo! Excellent. :D :!: :D

Every you are doing are ticking all the right boxes. Changing and mixing up your exercise routine probably helped kick your metabolism along and fought of the wedding. The fitter you get the better your asthma will be. Swimming is really good for it. I give it great credit in helping my asthma.

Your calories intake seems to be under control. It will be needed for the bike riding you are doing. Muscle building in those legs. :D That homemade banana ice cream sounds a delight. I must try it. Made from natural ingredients...you're right - it's got to be better than Skinny Cow!

Your cruise stragedy looks fine. Just watch portion size or you will run into trouble. Rowing machine; I've never been on one but have lusted after them after seeing them on the biggest loser. It's the only thing that would tempt me to join a gym. That's got to give you one heck of a work out! :shock: Work that rowing machine and you will LOSE that cruise weight big time. Have a great cruise but don't throw away your losses too big time. You have worked far too hard for that!

Doing real well!
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby misk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks Blitz :D

I can't technically see the difference in my body that the scales are showing but I've gone down a pants and top size and I keep getting comments from work mates so that's keeping me motivated.

The ice-cream is called, 'One Ingredient Ice-cream', all you do is chop up a banana, freeze it over night, add a table spoon or two of milk and blend - takes a bit of effort to blend. Comes out as a ice-cream like texture which is good enough for me, I just like the creamy-ness so it satisfies that craving. I'm trying half a banana and half a mango tomorrow, see if the mango will make it sweeter while the banana makes its creamy. If only I could find a 'one ingredient' substitute for chocolate :lol:

I'd like to give swimming a try once it warms up here, probably in about a month, because it'll be too hot here to walk outside or even treadmill because the room its in doesn't have aircon :| The docs have always told me it would help my asthma too - but having the type of body that makes me wanna slip into bathers would have helped :lol:

I once joined a gym, ended up wasting the money but from it I learnt that i LOVED the treadmill and rowing machine. When a family member was selling her treadmill I was ecstatic to buy it but no rower is forthcoming :lol: I do have the kayak buy can only do that on wkend.

Hey Blitz had any experience with quinoa, flax seed or psyllum husk in smoothies, breakfasts or meals? I'm currently looking into the benefits of them all but not sure if they're all overprices and overhyped.
misk

Postby Blitz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:30 am

I first noticed weight loss around my shoulders and upper back. Yet at that time every week or so I'd have to put a new hole or two in my belt to keep my pants up! :shock: I think weight falls off from behind us first so we don't see it as quickly as other people...it's coming off our blind spot! :lol:

I saw this big man on TV today. He was about the size I use to be. I noticed how about a third of his weight was sitting on his back and bottom. Yet the way he moved, his awareness of his size was about the third of his weight that was in front of him. It made me realise why I had so underestimated my size and why I'd get stuck trying to squeeze between things that I thought I could get between.

I bought a box of mangos the other day for a charity. Have them coming out of our ears at the moment. Your one ingredient ice cream with mango may prove to be a lifesaver. :)

Get into the water, it's actually warmer when the air outside is cold. It will do you so much good. I buy a 6 month swim pass from my local pool. The more I swim - the more I save. As I lost weight, my swim gear got tighter. I usually got smaller shorts when I could no longer guarantee the cord of my swimmers would keep them on when I swam! I had some close calls! :shock:

I'm pretty boring when it comes to food usually. I generally stick to "safe" stuff that I know. It's only recently that I've been confident enough to step out and try new things. My taste buds have definitely become better. Like an ex-smoker I suppose, who can smell all the things he missed. I do want to try quinoa real soon. Having said that I'm a bargain hunter from way back. Weet Bix still is great value for money compared to other breakfast oats and the like.

Kim
Blitz

Postby misk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Funny as it sounds the first time i noticed a difference was sitting in the drivers seat of the car, while sitting back waiting for someone that I couldn't rest my arms on my stomach as a leaning pad. Don't miss that leaning pad I tell ya :lol:

Blitz, did you end up trying the mango ice-cream? I tried it BUT it was ruined by the fact that I also added grape-fruit (a fruit I'd never really tried and now realise i'm not a fan of). Definately going to try mango again but with just mango next time! I've started stocking up on the fancy health store ingredients - flaxseed, psyllum husk, quinoa and now currently looking into coconut oil - just because I figure it couldn't hurt. I'll give them all a go once, see if i like them. I like the idea of going more natural with my foods so it's worth a try.

I stepped on the scales this morning and was happy to see 65.8! My goal three months ago was to get to 65kilos by the cruise - a goal that seemed simple back then but has proved anything but :P So this week I can say that I have offically lost 11 or 12 kilos!
misk

Postby Blitz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm

I haven't tried the mango ice cream yet - but I will!

I'm not one of nature's cooks but I must say things are changing. I made a salad for our dinner last night that turned out to be a real winner. My wife was reflexing on it saying that it was a real change in our lives. In the old days getting me to eat a salad would have been a miracle and now not only was I eating it - I made it! :shock:

Congratulations on the weight loss. Don't worry about the time frame. The importatn thing is that you have lost it. It is far better to lose it slowly and get your lifestyle right than to burn it off quickly only to fall on your face and put it on and more besides because you didn't work on a healthy lifestyle.

The old stomach shelf :lol: ...handy but very embarrassing :!: Glad mine is gone...can see my feet now without having to lean forward at a great tilt.

Kim
Blitz

Postby misk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Well back from holidays and...sad to say I completely failed in every way - best laid plans and all that! I gained 2kgs so back to 67.8kg's! In saying that, I had an amazing holiday and it helped me to feel less stressed to lose weight fast and gave my body a good rest :P I still chose my meals much wiser than I would have in the past, a decent breakfast, veggies over chips, steak over pasta, still stayed away from softdrinks and drank water, but three course meals for lunch and dinner and chocolate did me in - as well as never seeming to find the energy to get to that gym. So overall i'm glad I only gained that much and happy that some of my learnings have stuck.

Getting back though I wasn't able to get a lite n easy order iin in time so this week is my test week for preparing/cooking my own meals. I stocked up the cupboards and fridge with healthier staples - lemon juice, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, apple sauce, spinach, rolled oats, etc and a tonne of veggies. Spent the weekend finding ideas and recipes and three days in I'm not feeling completely overwhelmed so it's looking good. I have two frozen meals as a fail-safe, in case I have no energy for cooking.

Best thing I've learnt this week is spinach and banana smoothies at breakfast! You can't taste the spinach at all, which I thought was complete rubbish when I read it! Nice way to hide something good for me and is helping fill me up better. I've also cooked up some egg white muffins with capsicum and spinach in them which is replacing scrambled (full) eggs on toast, so giving that a go - love the idea of really lowering my bread intake.

Realllyyy finding it hard to get back into exercise mode though! Not stressing out too much just yet, will see how I go by the end of the week and if the motivation still isn't there I'll have to get onto my partner who loves pushing me into exercise.
misk

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk