It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Free Newsletter

what benefits us more?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

what benefits us more?

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:05 am

So the question that needs to be solved is..... which is better for us? Walking or running?

I have been reading up on this and of course running will burn more calories and get our heart rate up more but then there are people saying brisk walking is just as god if not better.

What is your take on this debate?
Michelle-leeC1989

Re: what benefits us more?

Postby Tojoo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Neither. Weight training should be your foundation. An hour of weight training at 110% intensity constantly training to failure each set is going to burn between 500-800 calories easy plus the additional after burn affect of your muscles trying to absorb any calories available to repair themselves. not to mention the added muscle will increase your metabolism in the long run anyway.

just remember start with your big compound movements. Squat/deadlift/bench press and then throw in isolation's after for about 10-12 sets and your all good. Theres no reason anyone should not be weight training for weight loss.

I know woman don't want to have the bulky look but seriously your muscle gain will be so minimal even over a 4-5 year period that you will just look athletic and not bulky. the added benefits of the after burn and metabolism increase are golden for weight loss and if you don't like the muscle when you reach your goal then you can simply stop training and cut down on your protein and the muscle will be gone within a month.
Tojoo

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Tojoo wrote:Neither. Weight training should be your foundation. An hour of weight training at 110% intensity constantly training to failure each set is going to burn between 500-800 calories easy plus the additional after burn affect of your muscles trying to absorb any calories available to repair themselves. not to mention the added muscle will increase your metabolism in the long run anyway.

just remember start with your big compound movements. Squat/deadlift/bench press and then throw in isolation's after for about 10-12 sets and your all good. Theres no reason anyone should not be weight training for weight loss.

I know woman don't want to have the bulky look but seriously your muscle gain will be so minimal even over a 4-5 year period that you will just look athletic and not bulky. the added benefits of the after burn and metabolism increase are golden for weight loss and if you don't like the muscle when you reach your goal then you can simply stop training and cut down on your protein and the muscle will be gone within a month.

What exercised would you recommend for doing at home?
Michelle-leeC1989

Postby Tojoo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Michelle-leeC1989 wrote:
Tojoo wrote:Neither. Weight training should be your foundation. An hour of weight training at 110% intensity constantly training to failure each set is going to burn between 500-800 calories easy plus the additional after burn affect of your muscles trying to absorb any calories available to repair themselves. not to mention the added muscle will increase your metabolism in the long run anyway.

What exercised would you recommend for doing at home?

If you can try to get a hold of a cheap 20kg dumbell set from kmart or anything similar as this is great for getting started. Eventually though your probably going to want to purchase more weight and perhaps a barbell so you can continue pushing yourself. with dumbells you can still do squats and chest presses or overhead shoulder presses. all 3 are great big compound movements involving multiple muscle groups.
Tojoo

Postby Tea85 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm

So far I have lost 9kgs by walking 2.2 ks everyday and eating better. I recently purchased a bike too slowly adding it in to my exercise. I'm not a fitness level that I could run 2.2ks yet but hey maybe one day soon.

Any form of exercise is good for you!!
Tea85

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm

I guess it all comes down to everything in moderation.

Thank you for your replies I don't feel so left in the dark.
Michelle-leeC1989

Postby Tea85 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 pm

I know nothing about health and fitness either I just knew I needed to move! This sight has been amazing for advice tho and I feel like I'm getting somewhere so I guess my advice it doesn't matter how or why just move..... Go for a walk, a swim, a run, ride a bike or dance around the lounge room like a crazy lady with the kiddies listening to the wiggles just move everyday it will help.
Tea85

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Tea85 wrote:I know nothing about health and fitness either I just knew I needed to move! This sight has been amazing for advice tho and I feel like I'm getting somewhere so I guess my advice it doesn't matter how or why just move..... Go for a walk, a swim, a run, ride a bike or dance around the lounge room like a crazy lady with the kiddies listening to the wiggles just move everyday it will help.

Lol I love this reply. You make this whole moving thing sound fun lol.
Michelle-leeC1989

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 am

Ever heard of the expression, "You've got to learn to walk before you run"? This is true for all exercise. You have to find your level and then build from there. Weight training may be the ideal but if you are unfit and overweight you may end up doing more harm than good. I've never done any weight training and I managed to lose 87 kilos. My belly hernia prevented me from even attempting anything like that. First rule of weight loss..."Do no harm!" You can't be effective in weight loss if you are nurturing injuries because you didn't listen to your body.

I suggest that you start with walking. As your fitness increases then you can step it up. Don't forget that as an overweight person you are already doing weight training of sorts. On your walk (and your life 24/7) you are carry those extra kilos!

When I started losing weight, a ten minute walk was all I could manage yet that was enough (along with food intake control) to get me good results. Over the weeks and months that followed I slowly added more exercise and trained longer. Swimming, exercise bike, jogging were added as my fitness level increased and I felt comfortable.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby caragh87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 pm

For me at 106 kilos or 232 pounds, running is VERY hard on my body.
That being said, I like to combine walking with running.
I walk at a pace of 5km per hour which isn't that fast, then I do intervals of running for 30 seconds or until my HR reaches about 170 which SHOULD be it's capacity.
I did that yesterday and my hips and torso are very sore.
I think walking initially is more beneficial, but my favorite thing is the cross trainer because it's lower impact on the body but it still burns so many calories.
caragh87

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

I walk atm cause I have a stress fracture. And I feel just as worn out by walking and doing some weight training lol. And how can we be motivated to go out in this darn Sydney weather when it gets to 43 degrees? Lol I couldn't imagine running in that lol
Michelle-leeC1989

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:24 pm

I have a theory about that...as you get more fit - you get more insane! You actually look for tough things to do! :shock: :lol:

When the weather gets real bad, I retreat indoors and ride my exercise bike to oblivion! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Blitz wrote:I have a theory about that...as you get more fit - you get more insane! You actually look for tough things to do! :shock: :lol:

When the weather gets real bad, I retreat indoors and ride my exercise bike to oblivion! :D

Kim

Hahahahhaha I love that . You make me LOL
Michelle-leeC1989

Return to Weight loss Talk