It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Free Newsletter

fact or fiction??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

fact or fiction??

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Just a quick question since this has been confusing me and making me worried about being physical.

I have been reading up on exercise.. I don't know if I will make any sense with my question but here goes.

Now they say that you can do so much exercise a day before it doesn't do anything anymore.

Does our body respond to so much exercise before it doesn't do anything anymore?
Michelle-leeC1989

Re: fact or fiction??

Postby Tojoo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 am

to a certain extent yes. physical exercise is always going to burn calories. its just science. if you are move or even living then that energy needs to come from somewhere. so its going to be burnt from your bodies stores of fat and muscle.

in terms of exercise having no affect after a certain amount of time this is 100% true in weight training or any high intensity training. after about the 50-60 minute mark your body is under alot of physical stress and will release cortisol a hormone which acts as a muscle relaxant and will actually make any strength/muscles gains from weight training go backwards. its the opposite of growth hormone. one will encourage muscles to grow and become stronger. the other will make them smaller and weaker.

having a fast digesting carb with some whey protein mid workout will help prevent this but only to a certain extent.
Tojoo

Postby Michelle-leeC1989 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 am

Thankyou for your reply. I just couldnt understand how if we need exercise we can do too much lol...

so what happens if we keep training and the effect gets reversed? our muscles cant repair themselves?
Michelle-leeC1989

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:02 am

No you get too tired to do anything. You burn yourself out. In extreme cases (ie marathon runners) you "hit the wall"...this means your body is telling you to stop - now! A bit like death is nature's way of telling you to slow down. :shock:

Rest has it's place in weight loss as well. In these down times our body is adjusting itself to the new conditions. It is building new muscle and moving your metabolism to a different place to cope with the new demands you are placing on it. Allow this process to happen and you will have successful weight loss. Push the issue; don't listen to your body and you will burn out and end up giving up.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk