It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Free Newsletter

Why am I not losing weight

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why am I not losing weight

Postby newmum19 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi everyone,
I have just found this place, am hoping it will help me with my journey.
I currently weigh 130kg. I started trying to lose weight just over a month ago.
Anyway I just don't see. To be losing anything. I even gained weight at one point.

A regular day or me roughly involves a 2000 calorie diet, I'm not dieting, this is just generally what I normally eat, give or take a few hundred calories. I then workout (cardio) for about an hour a day, sometimes more. So roughly burning 1000 calories, depending what I'm doing. I also do some strength/weight stuff at the end as well...

So I just don't get it. I have never been this active in my life. I am definitely getting fitter. I have noticed I've lost cm's off all measurements, but the weight on the scales is not going down...

So I ask, what am I doing wrong..

It really getting disheartening and really getting to me after a month I would've expected to see some sort of a result even if only a kilo or 2.

Please help.
newmum19

Re: Why am I not losing weight

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on being a new mum! :D

It is hard to tell where things are going wrong without some additional information. But the thing that comes to my mind first is that you may be muscle gaining (your form is changing but your weight isn't). How hard is that strength/weight stuff training? How often and what duration? Are you taking any body building supplements?

I can be more helpful if you are able to give the following additional information...
    What is your height and age?
    When did you have your baby (and are you breast feeding)?
    What do you eat on a typical day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)?
    What do you drink and how much?
    How much have you lost already (weekly break down would be very helpful)?
    What do you snack on and how often?
    What is the lastest time you eat something before bed?
    What is your goal weight?
    Do you have any medical issues?

With these questions answered I believe we can give you some pointers that may help. :D
Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby newmum19 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi thankyou so much for you reply

here's the answers to your questions

What is your height and age? I am 166cm tall, I am 29
When did you have your baby (and are you breast feeding)? my bub was born gosh 3 years ago, nope not breastfeeding
What do you eat on a typical day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)? breakfast, cup of tea white skim, 1 tsp sugar, toast white with some sort of spread, or I'll alternate to a banana smoothie skim milk... lunch is either a sandwich with meat and salad, sometimes fried rice, made with no oil.... dinner steak and roast veg. I might have a snack of a banana or some crackers...
What do you drink and how much? I drink a minimum of 8 cups of water a day, plus maybe 1 or 2 cups of pepsi max
How much have you lost already (weekly break down would be very helpful)? honestly I can't say I've lost any, I started at 130, went up to 132 and now fluctuate depending on the day between 130 and 132
What do you snack on and how often? mentioned the snacks above, I don't snack that much
What is the lastest time you eat something before bed? I generally dont eat anything after 8pm
What is your goal weight? goal weight for me personally I'd be happy to get down to 90kg.
Do you have any medical issues? no medical health issues but I do have a condition left over from having my gall bladder removed, which is similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Hopefully that answers everything... The weights I use for strength training are only 2kg, and I only do about 3 reps of 10 for each thing, be that bicep curls, etc plus squats, tricep dips, crunches, situps, leg raises, pushups.....
newmum19

Postby newmum19 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

oh an not taking any supplements whatsoever.
this is pretty much an at home thing.
cardio work is on the treadmill, stationary bike or cross trainer. Or I walk 3-4 km around my town
newmum19

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Based on what you've told me you should be losing weight. But here are a few things to consider...

Food wise I think that it will be more helpful if you lose the Pepsi Max and the sugar. I know that the Pepsi Max hasn't got the calories but it is full of unnatural other stuff that is undermining you. Also as habit it keeps you linked to fizzy drinks in general which will trip you up later. The sugar hit is probably not helping your body get to a "natural" sitting state basically it is probably playing your metabolism around. Bananas are fine especially just before exercise but make sure you don't have too many of them...try other stuff like apples.

Sometimes when we exercise we get to comfortable with our routine. Our body adjusts to the demand and moderates our metabolism accordingly. Try varying your exercise. Make one day moderate, follow with a hard day and then have an easy day. As for intensity...always push yourself to the limit but always make sure you don't break yourself in the process.

I think your problem is more than likely portion control. You are probably eating more than you think. It is a common thing to happen. We are so use to supersizing that normal portions are meaningless to us. As a general guide (I've never countered calories so I don't go down that road), your plate should be about half of what you used to eat. That may be less than 2000 calories but that is ok because we are encouraging our bodies to draw from it's reserves (the fat!). Mininal requirements - to keep your body ticking over but not enough to stop it from converting fat and making muscle. I always felt while I was losing weight that if I went to bed hungry (not starving), I would have a good weigh in the following morning.

Hope this has been helpful aand something for you to think about. :D

Wishing you all success
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk