It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 am

Free Newsletter

Dining out

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Dining out

Postby DD Diva » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to get some feedback on what others do when dining out, either by choice or by invitation. It's really hard control what goes on your plate when you're not preparing the meal yourself, right? So what do you do? Throw caution to the wind? Or (like me) look up the name of the restaurant and study the menu for hours/days/weeks beforehand to work out exactly what you're going to order! That is, I do the "drooling" at home, that way when I get there, I glance at the menu and know already what I'm going to say to the waiter/ess when asked "and for you, ma'am?" :?

We're going out tomorrow evening for my son's birthday (with the family) and I think I've studied the menu so much now that (except for the chef's "specials") I could recite it back to you course by course!!! :roll:
DD Diva

Re: Dining out

Postby DD Diva » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Can you relate???????? :cry:
Attachments
Diet.jpg
Diet.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 796 times
DD Diva

Postby JP1 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Play it by ear, depends on what's on offer, depends on restaurant, skip the usual starter or order a healthy option or else eat a few chips and leave the rest.. I just try to build the whole experience into my schedule but don't have any hard and set rules..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby tinkerbella » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:40 pm

first thing I try and do is eat lite during the day,
and then try and order something that isn't creamy,
and enjoy...

have water in between any or every drink,order ice in your drink
but most of all enjoy,
go 1/2 in pudding and make sure you eat less than 1/2..

we have got my sons 21st dinner Thursday night,and I also
will try and be best as I can be,..

but most of all enjoy.
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:35 pm

I "bank" some weight loss beforehand in maintenance stage. During weight loss I would put in some good exercise in the day or so before...and plan on exercising big time the next day. My goal was to reduce the damage as quickly as possible by exercising extra.

On the day itself I will be light on breakfast and lunch. Have no or little snacks during the day. If it is a late eating time start I will have an apple etc at about the time I would normally eat (I generally like to eat dinner early).

At the venue, I would resist having any entrees and will not touch the bread rolls (and butter). I would select the nicest safest option I can find. You should be able to find something that you will like that isn't going to blow you out of the water. The great unknown is serve size. This is where you will have to be careful and disciplined. As soon as it comes decide what is a proper potion size and divide your plate accordingly. Once you have done that, eat what is yours and when you are finished put a paper napkin or the like on your plate, set your knife and fork in the "surrender position" and move the plate clearly away from you straight away. Drinks are often a big problem at dinners. I just stick to water and the coffee after the dinner. Dessert is treated like the main meal. Immediately potion controlled and then got rid off.

I went to a swish dinner last Wednesday for my wife's work at Government House. Prepared in advance and ready for any trouble. It was a set menu and a late eating time but I was organised. However when the food finally was put before us - the serve size was so meagre that I need not have worried. No one was going to gain weight on the amount they were feeding us! :shock: :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk