It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:19 am

Free Newsletter

Overcoming the negativity

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Overcoming the negativity

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm

We all know that at times, especially when temptation strikes and/or (worse) you've succumb to it and you tell yourself to keep going simply because you've "blown it anyway" and then console yourself with the promise that "I'll start fresh tomorrow" All good right??????? :? WRONG!!!! :oops:

Start fresh NOW!!! So you had a moment of weakness (IT HAPPENS) but tomorrow may still be hours away, and by not stopping RIGHT THIS MINUTE could potentially be the difference between gaining a few grams to a full kilo (or more)!! :cry:

Real willpower is not putting down the fork, but never having picked it up in the first place because you're in a good (mental) place; one where control is yours!!! Talking yourself into a better frame of mind, taking control again, or (as I like to think of it as) overcoming the negativity can help you avoid going over the edge and thereby throwing in the towel.

Here's a few examples, of excuses and how we need to retune or thoughts on handling these hurdles. I'd be very interested to read what you would say in response (to yourself if/when these thoughts hit you).

Just one XXXXX won't hurt, and I'll leave it at that!!
Depending on what the food is, especially if it one of my "triggers" (those things that you personally cannot resist, and cannot stop at "just one") this argument simply does not work and trying to make myself feel better by justifying it with "I'll leave it at that" is pointless. :roll:

Okay well, I've blown it now (I've had more than I should) so I'll keep going and start again tomorrow!!
Really??? Why not just stop now??? You've had your fill of whatever it is, and okay you've gone overboard....but MUST YOU keep going till sunrise tomorrow??? :shock:

I know I shouldn't have had XXXXX but.....
Sadly the only "but" about this excuse, is the one with the extra "t" that you're keeping from those skinny jeans or suit pants you hope to get into!!! Okay okay so you had a blow out, it happens!! Now quit beating yourself up about it and move on!!! We all have down moments, lapses in constraint which doesn't make for the end of the world, it just proves your human, so take a moment to reflect on your mistake and then make a vow to put it behind you and do better from this point on!!! :wink:

I just can't help myself!!
That's right you can't be helping yourself to excessive amounts of food especially bad food with empty nutritional value then you're not helping yourself become the "new you" you so desperately want to become!!! Control is a major part of weight loss, and if you can't control the urge to snack on whatever is that's tempting you, do yourself a favour and REMOVE IT from view, or better yet, from your mind. Trust me, you'll feel better for showing the restraint come tomorrow morning. :)
DD Diva

Re: Overcoming the negativity

Postby admin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks DD for sharing...these are great insights into the reality of everyday battles......it makes people feel they are not alone and everyone has these moments..some more than others however we are all human. My weakness is cream and cheese.....my favourite thing is cream on vita-brits with hot milk - it goes back to the old days when you used to buy milk in bottles and the cream was at the top....ummmmm...can't have cream in the house!
Cheers
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:19 pm

admin wrote:Thanks DD for sharing...these are great insights into the reality of everyday battles......it makes people feel they are not alone and everyone has these moments..some more than others however we are all human. My weakness is cream and cheese.....my favourite thing is cream on vita-brits with hot milk - it goes back to the old days when you used to buy milk in bottles and the cream was at the top....ummmmm...can't have cream in the house!
Cheers
Sharrelle

Oh Sharrelle, I soooooo understand the love of cream and cheese, and cream cheese even better!!! :lol:

You'd have liked what I had for lunch then (but sorry I can't show you, I don't do food photos...I like to eat my food not ask it to pose for the camera!) :lol:

It consisted of:

3 corn thins (cheese flavoured)
3 laughing cow soft cheese triangles
1 large tomato
I cup of homemade iced lemon-tea

I left the cheese triangles out of the fridge so that they softened (at room temperature) then lovingly spread them on the corn thins (which are already sooooo cheesy anyway, so just adds to the flavour) and then sliced the tomato on top of each and just devoured them. Soooooo good......

It was oh so filling and oh so yummy, and all less 200 calories!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby admin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Agree...never have taken a food shot...too interested in eating it.
Ummmmm triangle cheese - haven't had that in years....crackers, tomato, triangle cheese - what a satisfying lunch!
How did you sweeten your iced tea out of interest?
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:36 pm

admin wrote:Agree...never have taken a food shot...too interested in eating it.
Ummmmm triangle cheese - haven't had that in years....crackers, tomato, triangle cheese - what a satisfying lunch!
How did you sweeten your iced tea out of interest?
Sharrelle

I didn't actually didn't this time (normally I do) but as I had lemon slices in it, didn't bother. Usually I will use either less than a teaspoon of honey, or a pinch (yep, like in salt size pinch) of artificial sweetener (can't recall what we have here, I know it's not Equal but something similar). I realise that artificial sweeteners aren't the best thing for you, but honestly, the amount of sweetener I'd use in a month wouldn't fill a tea cup!!! :lol:

Calorie wise it's such a light lunch, but yes it is very satisfying with:
The laughing cow cheese triangles @ 25 calories each
The corn thins @ 28 calories each
The tomato (well that's next to nothing)

Light enough to allow a small treat (eg. a light Soleil chocolate mousse....68 calories) and all still coming in under 300 calories!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:31 am

Ha...that takes me back to the "olden days". Milk in bottles and with that layer of cream in them. They do something to the milk these days to stop it from doing that. Milk was milk in those days.

Today you go to the shops and buy a whole swag of different types. Hi/Lo, skim, with added calcium and whatever...none of it tastes like it should. Not like real milk anyway. I did a paid taste testing on various milks for a focus group a while ago. None of them tasted well to my palate.

Good post Josie. Well done. 8)
Reminded me of the Oscar Wilde quote "I can resist all things except temptation!" :shock: :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Oh Josie, you're making my mouth water, your lunch yesterday sounded amazing!!! I am a sucker for those Soleil mousse omg, so good! As for the rest of your post, all very sound advise and a mantra I think I need to read each and every time I reach for something bad or make the mental decision of "Screw it, I've had a bad day, I'm getting take away!" Yes, like that extra 3000 calories is going to make you "feel" better :roll: I'd be better off "cheating" by having a "heartier" meal that's still healthy to give my body a boost.
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:52 pm

It always does as well to remember that the bottom line on "food cheats"...
is that the only person who is cheated in the end is ourselves! :shock:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk