It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:42 am

Free Newsletter

Navigating the bends on the weight loss road

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Navigating the bends on the weight loss road

Postby DD Diva » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Everyone knows that the weight loss journey is a long one, and even if you've managed to stay on the straight and narrow for some time, there's still bound to be the odd bend in the road that you have to navigate safely!!!

So it's always good to ask yourself:
1. What are MY "bends in the road" (the things that I find hardest to deal with on the weight loss journey)
2. How can I overcome them (what tactics do you use to avoid running yourself off the straight and narrow path)

or to simply put it, what are your DANGER ZONES and (when you know they're ahead) what SURVIVAL TECHNIQUE do you employ to get by unscathed?

For me....

Danger zone - dining out
Survival technique - studying the menu and planning my order in advance! By the time I get asked what I'm having, I've ordered it at least a million times already! :oops:

Danger zone - dishing up too big a portion of a cooked meal (at home)
Survival technique - giving the excess to my (very willing recipient) pooch! :lol:

Danger zone - walking through a food court of a shopping centre when hungry / at lunchtime
Survival technique - walk into the nearest clothing store and pick up a cute dress (pants...whatever) 2 sizes smaller and making myself try it on! Works every tine!!! :oops:
DD Diva

Re: Navigating the bends on the weight loss road

Postby Blitz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:12 am

Very good post Josie. 8)

I like the terms "danger zone" and "survival technique" very much. :)

I don't know about that last one though...if I tried on a cute dress I might get myself arrested! :lol: :wink:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:32 am

Blitz wrote:Very good post Josie. 8)

I like the terms "danger zone" and "survival technique" very much. :)

I don't know about that last one though...if I tried on a cute dress I might get myself arrested! :lol: :wink:

Kim

I dunno.....your legs may have won (the arresting officer's) heart!!! :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby JP1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:11 am

Danger zones are holidays or breaks away.. The odd night out I seem to handle but being thrown out of my routine for more than 24 hours wreaks hazard on me.. I can handle all the food temptations so no sweat there, I like the occasional treat but most of the time I don't really have huge cravings or the like..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby DD Diva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:16 am

JP1 wrote:Danger zones are holidays or breaks away.. The odd night out I seem to handle but being thrown out of my routine for more than 24 hours wreaks hazard on me.. I can handle all the food temptations so no sweat there, I like the occasional treat but most of the time I don't really have huge cravings or the like..

I can relate 100% to the holiday dangers and break in routine (I am a creature of habit myself) though I must say JP, you bounce back pretty well (and pretty quickly) when you return from these sojourns!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby JP1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

DD Diva wrote:
JP1 wrote:Danger zones are holidays or breaks away.. The odd night out I seem to handle but being thrown out of my routine for more than 24 hours wreaks hazard on me.. I can handle all the food temptations so no sweat there, I like the occasional treat but most of the time I don't really have huge cravings or the like..

I can relate 100% to the holiday dangers and break in routine (I am a creature of habit myself) though I must say JP, you bounce back pretty well (and pretty quickly) when you return from these sojourns!!! :wink:

Yes Diva, even though I've spiked up it's mostly all been liquid, I'd hate to think what damage I'd do if I went berserk food wise..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby DD Diva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:40 am

JP1 wrote:Yes Diva, even though I've spiked up it's mostly all been liquid, I'd hate to think what damage I'd do if I went berserk food wise..

Heaven forbid!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:16 am

It is good to remind ourselves just how fragile success is and that failure could be just around the corner. By keeping that in our head we can stay vigilant and not let complacency ruin our good work.

These events have the same thing in common. They are things that are not fully in our control. That is why our routines feel safe to us. We know and control those circumstances. But life never remains the same, so we have to learn how to deal with going out to dinner or holidays and figure strategies that can minimalise or negate that event. That is where skill and experience come into play.

Kim
Blitz

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Biggest bend for me is realizing that whether I am fat or skinny, I am still the same person, so why bust my butt off to be skinny?

Has not changed a thing, so the why bother thought is popping in my head, and right now more than ever.

Losing weight has achieved nothing. It's not my weight I have to change, it is me.
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby DD Diva » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 pm

AndyJ wrote:Biggest bend for me is realizing that whether I am fat or skinny, I am still the same person, so why bust my butt off to be skinny?

Has not changed a thing, so the why bother thought is popping in my head, and right now more than ever.

Losing weight has achieved nothing. It's not my weight I have to change, it is me.

I don't understand, in an earlier post (somewhere) I read that you felt you were more confident, especially in your job and amongst work colleagues.
But here you're saying you haven't changed at all.
I think you have changed remarkable, and I don't mean just the physical aspects.
You've had a lot happen in your life, and I can hear what you're saying (even between the lines).
I hear your bitterness towards the mere thought of another relationship (completely understandable by the way).
I hear your fear, what will become of you, how will you cope once you have no more weight to lose??????
I hear your sadness, the weekly challenge which once drove you, motivated and spurred you on, and now that's ended....what will drive you (the same way)???
So many people lose weight, and can't cope with their new found attitudes, they are afraid of the world and how it treats them differently (as non-overweight people); they get "lost in the crowd" or as I feel (even now, and with weight still to lose) that I've become "invisible" where once I felt the eyes of the world on me, checking out my butt or thighs and judging/mocking me!!! Now people are either looking at me, and checking me out (in a good way) or I am totally lost in the crowd.....and you know, I don't care either way!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 pm

DD Diva wrote:I don't understand, in an earlier post (somewhere) I read that you felt you were more confident, especially in your job and amongst work colleagues.
I think you have changed remarkable, and I don't mean just the physical aspects.
You've had a lot happen in your life, and I can hear what you're saying (even between the lines).
I hear your bitterness towards the mere thought of another relationship (completely understandable by the way).
I hear your fear, what will become of you, how will you cope once you have no more weight to lose??????
I hear your sadness, the weekly challenge which once drove you, motivated and spurred you on, and now that's ended....what will drive you (the same way)???
So many people lose weight, and can't cope with their new found attitudes, they are afraid of the world and how it treats them differently (as non-overweight people); they get "lost in the crowd" or as I feel (even now, and with weight still to lose) that I've become "invisible" where once I felt the eyes of the world on me, checking out my butt or thighs and judging/mocking me!!! Now people are either looking at me, and checking me out (in a good way) or I am totally lost in the crowd.....and you know, I don't care either way!!! :wink:

I changed the person I am at work, not because I lost weight. I did that, I seeked help where needed, professionals, because I was sick of the person I was, not just in the mirror either.
So what, my life has been a roller coaster, and it is way worse than anything I have said here, but there are kids and families in this world that can't even afford a salad to eat, that are skinny because they have no food, that do not have a TV. I don't see how I have a right to complain.
I am bitter towards a relationship because when I am in one I lose my values, I lose myself. That is not the life I want to live. Yes I have been mistreated of late, but it is nothing more than a lesson of life to me now.
When I lose the weight I want, nothing will come of me, will still do the same stuff every day, play games, eat good and exercise... I never socialize, except with family.
My next "Drive" in life is my job, I want to rock up to work and show them that I can kick there butts all over the place in sales, in customer service and so forth, I am going to make them wish they believed in me, and did not treat me poorly, and gave me the full time position I am just about to be turned down on. Then when I have them so wrapped up in my performance, I will leave to another job that deserves me. I am sick of being the nice guy who get's walked all over.
I will only be given my energy to people that deserve it..
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby DD Diva » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:51 pm

AndyJ wrote:
DD Diva wrote:I don't understand, in an earlier post (somewhere) I read that you felt you were more confident, especially in your job and amongst work colleagues.

I changed the person I am at work, not because I lost weight. I did that, I seeked help where needed, professionals, because I was sick of the person I was, not just in the mirror either.
So what, my life has been a roller coaster, and it is way worse than anything I have said here, but there are kids and families in this world that can't even afford a salad to eat, that are skinny because they have no food, that do not have a TV. I don't see how I have a right to complain.
I am bitter towards a relationship because when I am in one I lose my values, I lose myself. That is not the life I want to live. Yes I have been mistreated of late, but it is nothing more than a lesson of life to me now.
When I lose the weight I want, nothing will come of me, will still do the same stuff every day, play games, eat good and exercise... I never socialize, except with family.
My next "Drive" in life is my job, I want to rock up to work and show them that I can kick there butts all over the place in sales, in customer service and so forth, I am going to make them wish they believed in me, and did not treat me poorly, and gave me the full time position I am just about to be turned down on. Then when I have them so wrapped up in my performance, I will leave to another job that deserves me. I am sick of being the nice guy who get's walked all over.

Andy, there's so much here, I can't begin to address it in one go.
Please please accept my apology but I have to head out right now for a bit....but I will be back and respond with less brevity.
You deserve to be happy, know that!!
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 pm

AndyJ wrote:I changed the person I am at work, not because I lost weight. I did that, I seeked help where needed, professionals, because I was sick of the person I was, not just in the mirror either.
There are people way better and worse off than all of us; but we can't change the world. Be kind to those you come into contact with, treat them as you would want to be treated, show kindness and goodwill whenever you can...that's really all you can do. There are wars and natural disasters out there beyond our control, we can't put out every fire, but we can do the best we can by caring for those around us, as well as (and as much as) ourselves.
I am bitter towards a relationship because when I am in one I lose my values, I lose myself.
I remember telling my husband when we first got together "never compromise who you are"! If that's what you've allowed to happen, then you need to stop lying to yourself and the other person. Be yourself, and be loved for being yourself; if you're not loved for it, then the person you're with is the wrong one!That is not the life I want to live. Yes I have been mistreated of late, but it is nothing more than a lesson of life to me now.
Then maybe you need to start socializing more!!! You've reinvented yourself, you look amazing, so get out there and let the world see the beautiful new you, and while you're at it, try seeing the world through different eyes....happier and more confident ones, a belief in yourself, and a knowledge that you have achieved great things!! :wink:
Great idea!!! Find a new job, and start afresh with people who will get to know and like the new Andy, and not dwell on the old sadder one they once knew. If they don't respect you for the amazing transformation, then you're right, they don't deserve to have you in their circle....you're worth much much more than that Andy!! :)

Hey Andy,
I'm back and as promised tried to answer your statements as best I could; unfortunately I'm pretty tired (work was full on today) so I hope it makes sense. :oops:
I guess the message I'm trying to bring home to you is, YOU'VE DONE AN AMAZING JOB with your weight, your fitness and your life. You've done the hard yards, and now it's about maintaining the new you that you've created, and at the same time, finding the courage to face the world as a new man. Don't be afraid of life, just because you've changed your appearance; it's your time to shine!!!! Go out there and be the Andy you worked so hard to become........ :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:58 am

In one sense you are right - you are who you were. But in another sense you are wrong (confused yet? :lol: ).

In essence I'm still the person I was when I was five years old. The basic "me" is the same person. Having said that, life is about growth and change. Life experiences if worked right should give you better insight.

You said that it didn't matter if you were skinny or fat. That actually isn't true. Even something as superficial as your physicality changes how people deal with you...and how you deal with them. As a fat person you long for "normalcy"...not to stick out from the crowd. To blend in, so to speak. It is awkward when people don't treat you that way and point you out. As an entertainer I know this very well. On more than one occasion I've gone to a birthday party and had one kid point saying at the top of his voice "the magician is FAT!". Adults are more subtle...you see the smile disappear from their face as they judge you incapable of being a good entertainer because you are fat. In the first ten minutes of my show I had to work harder than any other magician in Perth...just to prove my worth.

Yesterday a friend related a story about me. He was visiting a lady in hospital from our church. They fell into a discussion about me. She told how when she first come to our church, her late husband spotted me seated near the front and said to her "that man needs to go on a diet!". It's nice to know that you are being judged on the content of your heart - not!

Nowadays things are different. I go to a party and people assume that I'm going to be good. I also don't have to try as hard to impress them either. Indeed this has given me a more confident approach. I'm more relaxed and that makes people feel more at ease. Strange as it seems, I'm working the crowd less hard than I did but getting far more positive feedback. So even on that superficial level...things have changed.

But experience also change us. Having achieved something like weight loss does boost your overall confidence. Success breeds success. And the skills you have learnt are directly transferable to other areas of your life. You just need to apply them.

I'll post more later. Like Josie I too have had a full day at work (okay...it was one hour - but there was over 100 kids watching the show...so it seems longer :lol: ) and am feeling tired. I have much more to say on this subject! :roll: :D

Andy...it's time for you to discover that the glass is half full - not half empty as you have been believing for so long!
To your better future Andy - to your better future! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk