It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:27 am

Free Newsletter

totally confused about weight loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

totally confused about weight loss

Postby fgamz89 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 pm

So I recently have decided to do something with my weight. I plan to just lose 10 kilos to my goal weight and yeah how easy peasy right? Er, wrong.. I've been told so many misleading information on what to eat, how many calories I should be eating, some say if I exercise I have to eat MORE calories, and some say I don't have to eat more calories if I exercise. So at the moment I'm highly confused on what I need to consume in order for me to lose these 10kgs.

Now I'm definitely willing to take my time with weight loss. I plan to lose 1kg every fortnight if I can, if I can lose 1kg a week then awesome but I want to do this the safest way and most proper way.. Can someone please help me with how they got started..

Also in saying that. How do you deal with winter binging and eating the wrong foods? I'm so not disciplined enough when I go out.. Suggestions please!

Tia x.
STARTING WEIGHT: 62.7KG
GOAL 1: 58 KG - completed
GOAL 2: 54KG
FINISHING GOAL: 50KG
fgamz89

Re: totally confused about weight loss

Postby DD Diva » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:26 pm

fgamz89 wrote:So I recently have decided to do something with my weight. I plan to just lose 10 kilos to my goal weight and yeah how easy peasy right? Er, wrong.. I've been told so many misleading information on what to eat, how many calories I should be eating, some say if I exercise I have to eat MORE calories, and some say I don't have to eat more calories if I exercise. So at the moment I'm highly confused on what I need to consume in order for me to lose these 10kgs.

Now I'm definitely willing to take my time with weight loss. I plan to lose 1kg every fortnight if I can, if I can lose 1kg a week then awesome but I want to do this the safest way and most proper way.. Can someone please help me with how they got started..

Also in saying that. How do you deal with winter binging and eating the wrong foods? I'm so not disciplined enough when I go out.. Suggestions please!

Tia x.

Welcome Tia,

You've come to the right place; there's a lot of support and inspiration that you can benefit from amongst the people here. We're all here to lose weight for ourselves as well as support each other along this long and sometimes difficult journey.

With regard to what will work best for you, the formula is a simple one....

Energy in minus energy out = deficit (weight loss). More simply, if you burn more calories than you eat you will end up with a "deficit" and this will give you a loss for the week.

1. Eat healthy, balanced meals and be sure to control portion sizes.
2. Exercise regularly, you don't have to run a marathon but at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times a week is a healthy start.

It doesn't matter if you count calories, fat grams, points, carbs or whatever, as long as you make healthier food choices and control the serving size on your plate, you should do okay. Of course, if you're going to exercise hard, the body will need a bit more fuel to burn (and function more efficiently) but be warned if you up your calories and don't exercise these extra calories can end up showing on your scales!!! :shock:

Best of luck, and remember.....you're not alone in your journey, we're here for you too :)
DD Diva

Postby fgamz89 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks so much for the reply..

I'm still confused with a few things such as counting calories, carbs etc.. I always just thought you eat healthy and exercise and you just lose the weight.. I didn't know there would be more to it lol.. maybe I am just a bit naïve with this :oops: , but I definitely appreciate the help.. and the reply back :mrgreen:

I think I will just browse a lot through the forum and see what others do with their routines, and if anyone wants to share theirs here I would be more that appreciative for it.. :)
STARTING WEIGHT: 62.7KG
GOAL 1: 58 KG - completed
GOAL 2: 54KG
FINISHING GOAL: 50KG
fgamz89

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello,
Im picking you are only young,as in your user name im picking your in early 20's,I could be totally wrong..
Im an old hand at weight lose and I still cant get any handle on it,
but
what I can tell you there are many roads too China..
We all do something different but we are all on the same roller coaster and trying
too win that prize of being at goal weight..
Im an old girl and have been a yo yo ..I want too get too goal and I don't want too b a yo yo any more...

You have too find a happy medium a way you can live the rest of your life in a healthy life style,something that will work for
you for the rest of your life..

I myself count points that's what I find too be the easiest for me,
in saying that I haven't been able too walk the walk the last few days,
but I will get back too it..

Ive been able too drop 10.4 kgs in 7 weeks and this week I just feel a little tired so im
going easy on my self and will hope like hell that I stay the same this week and get back into it next week..

Join our 3 month challenge,track your weight and join in with the group,
do a food diary so you can write down everything u put in your mouth
and try and do better every day...

Ask questions and don't be shy...
Theres so many here that are only too happy too help,
theres all ages and all back grounds on here,find
somebody u click with and buddy up...

Good luck 89,
you really can do it...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Look when I started on my weight loss journey I knew NOTHING...so don't get to bent out of shape.
You will learn a great many things along the way.
Take your time and just start with a few basics. 8)

You can make this thing as complicated or as simple as you like. Personally I went with the simple approach. I've never counted a calorie in my life. I think of food as either more helpful or less helpful in aiding me to lose weight.

The bottom line is that what is more pressing for when you start is not what you eat but rather how much you eat. What I'm talking about is portion control. You are overweight because you are eating too many calories. You are unhealthy because the food you are eating are not healthy choices - but that can be dealt with later as you became more aware. My first step in losing weight was a simple one. I figured I was twice as big as I should be (literally), so I should reduce my food by half. That was all I did for my first week and lost 2.5kg (I had a lot to lose...and that is reflected in that number). A good rough guide for you concerning portion size is to use the size of you fist as a ruler for guidance of serves of your different food groups.

As for exercise, I don't know how fit you are starting...but based on the fact that you want to lose 10kg I would say try walking for 30 minutes each day - keeping at a brisk pace. You should be breathing hard, able to have a conversation but not able to sing! :lol: I was so unfit when I started all I could manage was a 10 minute walk before I was done in. As fitness increased so to did my exercise. Towards the end of my journey I could easy jog for two hours and still be up for more exercise! :shock: :)

Tia, the Forum is a great place to find the answers to your questions but more importantly it can provide you support, encouragement and accountability on your road to a better future. Why not fully participate and join in the new 3 month challenge just starting? You will find it easier losing weight among people who are doing it just like you and understand exactly what you are going through.

Welcome to the Forum! Welcome to a better future! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk