It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:06 pm

Free Newsletter

Daily or weekly

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Daily or weekly

Postby DD Diva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:51 pm

To weigh daily or weekly?

Some people are (like myself) scale obsessed!! Even though I weigh myself every morning, I don't usually get too phased about what the scale says unless there's a huge shift upward that I can't explain!! Mind you, when that does happen (and thankfully it's rare) it comes as no mystery to me....I know EXACTLY why it's happened!! :oops:

Some people prefer to only step on the scales once a week. Wish I could do that, but sadly its part of my routine; I'm so used to hopping on the scales as part of my morning ritual, and it's like throwing off the covers, stepping out of bed, going to the bathroom, or brushing my teeth; it's done without thought; just me in auto-pilot!!! :roll:

How about you?? Are you a daily or a weekly scale hopper?? And would you ever consider switching the other way??
DD Diva

Re: Daily or weekly

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 am

I think my views are well known here.

I'm a daily hopper. Literally - as I must have the same weight show up three times in a row on my scales to be "officially" recorded in my daily weight loss book. So some days it can take quite a few goes before I get my daily reading.
My scales have a sensitive read out so each turn on them can have a slight variation.
Many electronic scales have a bias memory in them and will give out the same reading as the last one if it is within 0.5kg or so. If you want more accuracy from that kind of scale you have to "rig" the memory clear by half stepping on the scales first and then weighing yourself properly.

Daily weighing isn't recommended by the experts because an isolated reading can destroy the unwary with discouragement and damper positive motivation.
But those who weigh themselves daily with a long view of the situation find it invaluable in learning how the body responds to the various things we put it through. By learning about how our bodies work we are able to harmonise eating and exercise in our lifestyle.

For me daily weighing has been a key practise in my success in weight loss and maintenance.
Daily weigh ins during weight loss has kept me accountable daily. Also it has kept my focus of driving those numbers downwards - daily.
In maintenance, again it has kept me accountable. It also alerts me immediately to upward trends.
Researchers have uncovered that one of the most common elements in successfully keeping the weight off for over a year or more is that most of those that have - weigh themselves daily.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Cackleberry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am

Definitely from now on, this week has confirmed that I am a weekly weigher. This is what happens to me if I weigh in before my 'weigh in day'.......

Jump onto scales....there is a gain....thoughts that go through my mind 'oh why have I gained, i've been so good?!?'.....then I am obsessed over what I eat for the next few days, weighing myself each morning like a mad woman.....until weigh in when I maange to lose a good amount and all the stress was for nothing....

I don't want my weight loss journey to be as stressed as that. I would like to just stick with my calories each day and know that by the end of that week, there will be a loss :) Once I reach goal, i'll only weigh myself monthly to keep an eye on things. I will probably still count calories, as I know it isn't just a temporary thing to do just until I lose the weight, this is a lifestyle that I need to maintain, but by goal, i'll have a much larger calorie allowance :D
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Definitely from now on, this week has confirmed that I am a weekly weigher. This is what happens to me if I weigh in before my 'weigh in day'.......

Jump onto scales....there is a gain....thoughts that go through my mind 'oh why have I gained, i've been so good?!?'.....then I am obsessed over what I eat for the next few days, weighing myself each morning like a mad woman.....until weigh in when I maange to lose a good amount and all the stress was for nothing....

I don't want my weight loss journey to be as stressed as that. I would like to just stick with my calories each day and know that by the end of that week, there will be a loss :) Once I reach goal, i'll only weigh myself monthly to keep an eye on things. I will probably still count calories, as I know it isn't just a temporary thing to do just until I lose the weight, this is a lifestyle that I need to maintain, but by goal, i'll have a much larger calorie allowance :D

Hey Karen,

If you get stressed out by daily weigh ins, then hell yeah, don't do it!! :? Don't put yourself through that angst everyday. Sure you'll feel great if it's one of the "good" days and the numbers go down, but when you do ALL THE RIGHT THINGS only to see a rise, man.....that feeling sucks!!! :cry:

Me personally, I just don't let it get to me anymore, and now, I just shrug it off because I know that (in the words of Scarlet O'Hara in GWTW) "tomorrow is another day"!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Sure wish I had your level of control, I couldn't bear not knowing for a full month; I'd go nuts!!! :shock: And I'd be petrified that I may have more than just a day or so to make up, what if I had a bad few weeks, that can amount to a bit, and trying to back track when it's gotten that far is just too hard for me to comprehend.

But hey, whatever works for you, so if once a month (once you're at maintenance stage) is enough for you then that's fair enough too!! :D
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Sure wish I had your level of control, I couldn't bear not knowing for a full month; I'd go nuts!!! :shock: And I'd be petrified that I may have more than just a day or so to make up, what if I had a bad few weeks, that can amount to a bit, and trying to back track when it's gotten that far is just too hard for me to comprehend.

I'm hoping that I learn a lot about my eating habits between now and maintenance to know when i've been bad or not. I don't ever want food/weight loss to control my life. It never used to before I was married. I used to weigh 56kg up until I got pregnant with my first. I never used to count calories, weigh myself etc, I just had everything in moderation. We'd eat out at McDonalds but perhaps once a fortnight and even then, it would be a medium meal and that's it, no extras. We'd eat popcorn at the movie marathons we used to go on, we'd enjoy food, rather than let it control our lives. I truly believe my problem began after I had my son and felt I had to lose the baby weight. I started 'dieting'. There started the yo-yo dieting and i've struggled ever since. I became a binge eater. I want to go back to the days where I was more carefree with food. It shouldn't control your life. It is just food afterall. I should know more about portion sizes by then to be able to control it. Hope that makes sense?
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Cackleberry wrote:

I'm hoping that I learn a lot about my eating habits between now and maintenance to know when i've been bad or not. I don't ever want food/weight loss to control my life. It never used to before I was married. I used to weigh 56kg up until I got pregnant with my first. I never used to count calories, weigh myself etc, I just had everything in moderation. We'd eat out at McDonalds but perhaps once a fortnight and even then, it would be a medium meal and that's it, no extras. We'd eat popcorn at the movie marathons we used to go on, we'd enjoy food, rather than let it control our lives. I truly believe my problem began after I had my son and felt I had to lose the baby weight. I started 'dieting'. There started the yo-yo dieting and i've struggled ever since. I became a binge eater. I want to go back to the days where I was more carefree with food. It shouldn't control your life. It is just food afterall. I should know more about portion sizes by then to be able to control it. Hope that makes sense?

Yes it makes perfect sense!! Only wish I could say that it is simple to go back to those "carefree" days. Ohhhhhh I know (and miss) them well and soooooo much too. :cry:
I remember being able to eat whatever I liked and as much as liked, and now, I can eat whatever I like as long as it's not too much!!! :roll:

The problem is that as we get older (and I'm by no means suggestion you're old Karen) :oops: is that our bodies don't process food as efficiently as it did when it was younger and fitter. The human body is designed to nurture itself, and so when it ages, it slows things down a little (often a lot more than we'd like). The first to jump on the "go slow" wagon unfortunately is the metabolism, and as middle age spread starts happening, you have to work twice as hard to get half the results you once did as a youngster!!! But hey, take heart it's not all bad news!!! I've read for years about the dreaded "M" word (menopause) and I can tell you that the rubbish about gaining lots of weight or being unable to lose weight when you're going through it is horrific.....it's not!!! I'm living proof that you can go through "the change" and not change into a blimp!!! As long as you eat right, and not allow yourself to turn into a couch potato!!! :shock:

Karen, you have a brood of kids to run around after, that in itself is more exercise than some people know in a lifetime!!! Once upon a time, it would have been me!!! :oops: Don't be too hard on yourself, you will get back to your ol' (young) self again, and you'll have revitalised energy to burn!!! You will look and feel great, and your world will be your oyster (or grilled fish, or souvlaki)!!! :lol: :lol:

I'm not going to tell you what to do; you've proven that you know what it is, how to do it, and can AND WILL do it again.
But I will tell you this.......BE HAPPY!!! Enjoy your food, and don't be afraid of everything that goes in your mouth; life is about enjoying food and being active. It's not about gorging yourself (I'm not trying to promote gluttony here) but it is about eating well, eating healthy and taking back what is rightfully yours!!! You deserve the best, and the best and surest way to get what's coming to you, is to BE KIND TO YOURSELF, accept that there will be rough days, dark moments, weaknesses, and strengths, losses and gains, but above all, a commitment to giving it your best shot!!! And if that's all you can afford to give, then woman.....how could you possibly make a mistake???!!! :wink: :D
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 pm

That's the thing about reaching the maintenance stage...by that time you really do have all the skills levels in place to keep it off for life - so long as you remain vigilant! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Blitz wrote:That's the thing about reaching the maintenance stage...by that time you really do have all the skills levels in place to keep it off for life - so long as you remain vigilant! 8)

Kim

Vigilante???? Bit gun ho there aren't we Kim???!!! :lol:
(just kidding) I'm in a cheeky mood, can you tell??? :wink: :lol:

Seriously, I know what you're saying, and I agree....keeping things in check is important. You can't become complacent otherwise you'll end up back to square one, and that'd be really disappointing!!! :cry:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 pm

That is why I weigh myself daily (others have other practises) - to keep me honest.
That is why I still wear my REALITY beanie - to remind me to keep true and real.
That is why I like wearing superhero t-shirts - to remind me to be my own hero and live up to the character I confess to being.

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Blitz wrote:That is why I weigh myself daily (others have other practises) - to keep me honest.
That is why I still wear my REALITY beanie - to remind me to keep true and real.
That is why I like wearing superhero t-shirts - to remind me to be my own hero and live up to the character I confess to being.

Kim

You're a fine character, and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!! :wink: A true gentleman, and a down-to-earth, all round nice guy who wants to see the best in others!!! Admirable to say the least.....

Thank you for caring about us all so much, Kim!! :D
xx
Josie
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:22 am

DD Diva wrote:You're a fine character, and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!! :wink: A true gentleman, and a down-to-earth, all round nice guy who wants to see the best in others!!! Admirable to say the least.....

You need to talk to those that don't like me to get a true perspective...words like "arrogant Dutchman" spring readily from their lips! :shock: :lol:

Which is so unfair...I was born in Australia. My parents are/were Dutch not me.
I'm reminded of that cool movie "Breaking Away" where the local town kids are disparagingly called "Cutters" by the college kids, a term alluding to the fact that the town had many quarries from which blocks of stone were cut (now mostly closed down). The hero of the movie is having a heart to heart with his dad when he refers to himself as a Cutter. His dad pulls him up on that..."You're not a Cutter - I was a Cutter but you ain't never been a Cutter".

As for arrogant...one is called determined...another is called wilful...still another is called arrogant! Just a question of perspective! :wink:
I'm a great believer that the very strength of your character is also your weakness. So be it.

Kim
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk