It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 am

Free Newsletter

Number Honesty

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Number Honesty

Postby Blitz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:00 pm

One of my pet peeves is honesty in weight loss concerning scales.
It seems that those who need to lose weight avoid the scales completely (the good old ostrich approach to life :roll: ) and those who have succeeded overstate or over blow their achievements on the scales.

An ad currently on TV for a healthy meal provider has a person on it who has lost a whopping 24 kilos in 12 months.
Sounds impressive doesn't it? It is until you break the numbers down...
That works out to being 2 kilos a month or 46 grams a week.
This is less than half the weekly rate that is recommended by organisations like WeightWatchers.
Not so impressive is it?

This ad by no means is the only one that does this sort of thing.
It will always pay to look at the fine print in the claims to see the dishonesty in these things.
One mechanical device has for example has in the fine print, the statement "not a weight loss device" - yet that is the whole point of the ad.
Others claim results they are spruiking are based on a small study of people who used the device "in conjunction with a controlled dietary intake".
In fairness...those that make claims for various "wonder" products and foods also have the words "results used in conjunction with a regular exercise program".

My biggest peeve is those who claim that they have lost half their weight - but haven't.
Is it so hard to take the number that you started with; subtract the number that you lost and figure if that is greater or less than 50%?
Countless times I've seen or read that statement only to do the maths that discover that it was actually less than half.
You read on the cover of the magazine or book - "Lost half his/her weight" and go through to the story and finally discover the weasel words "nearly half their weight". There is no shame in nearly losing losing half your original body weight.
Any way you cut it - it still is a terrific achievement. So why overstate it?

Others however overdo their claims in a very misleading way. There is one guy on the internet on his weight loss site states that he lost over half his weight. I couldn't get his numbers anywhere near half way until I discovered in the details that he was talking only about losing over half of his BODY FAT - that is a far different claim than the one people first read.

Sometimes it takes some real digging to get to the facts of the matter. One very popular author who actually did lose over half his weight (55% in fact) is very fuzzy on his start up date. At best I reckon that it took him about two and a half years to achieve his weight loss but it could have been as long as three years. The way he tells the story he started losing slowly and rapidly burned the weight off at the end of his journey. The narrative is very evasive and you have to look at both editions of his first book and look at this latest book to get even a broad picture of his real journey.
From what I can figure roughly he lost about 0.8kg per week (at best). Not so glamorous if you put it like that.

So if you find that these stories of amazing weight loss intimate you or discourage you rather than uplift you to new heights. just stop and see the real situation.
Often these great achievements can be broken down to bite size achievable inspirations to you.
"Gosh if she/he can lose so very much just by losing 0.46kg or 0.8kg per week - then so can I!"

BTW...I know of one case where the achievement was understated!...my own! :lol:
When Perth's 'Today Tonight' did their story on me they said in the intro "Perth magician has lost nearly half his weight"...they undersold their own story - I had lost over half my weight (56% actually)!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Re: Number Honesty

Postby Divalicious » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:12 am

Honesty is a funny thing Kim,

It is closely tied in to ego, and In the weighting game, most people who have weight issues tend to hold onto the kilos because of denial (a kissing cousin of narcissism) justifying the escalating numbers by avoiding the truth told by the scales!!! Ignorance may be 'bliss" but trying to squeeze your ass back into those skinny jeans after months of overindulgence is a eye-opening reminder that reality is a completely different things!!! :lol:

Though I don't posts anywhere near as often these days, I NEVER miss a morning reunion with the scales!!!

The motto I live by "nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels" and that keeps me honest!!! :wink:
136.0kg - Heaviest weight (1/1/12)
126.6kg - Starting weight (1/1/13)
60.0kg - Goal weight
63.3kg - Current weight

Divalicious

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:11 am

You are right - nothing as convicting as trying to shoe horn yourself into an item of clothing that use to be a perfect fit!
You can ignore the scales - but you have to wear the clothes (or get arrested! :shock: ).

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am

Yep. Learning to be honest with oneself is part of the process of losing weight and changing to a healthy lifestyle.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:03 am

Oh yeah...honest is where it is all at.
Real success begins when you stop lying to yourself and start to deal with your issues truthfully.
As I've said in the past...you've got to get real with your family and friends, with your God and above all - with yourself.
All through my weight loss journey I exercised with my beanie on - which had the word "REALITY" on it; to keep myself real.
I still wear it today to remind myself to remain true to my new character.

Kim
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk