It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Weighing weekly instead of monthly - pro's & cons?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weighing weekly instead of monthly - pro's & cons?

Postby az81 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi guys,

In my introductory post, Blitz pointed out that I weigh myself once a month, rather than every week. I'm starting to wonder if moving to a weekly weigh in is the best course of action.

Last week, my weight was 151kg with a BMR of 2551. Today, I weighed myself to find that I am down to 146.8kg, meaning my BMR will change to 2509. Had I not caught this, I could have added to my weight by continuing at the same rate for 3 more weeks!

So, does everyone agree that a weekly weigh in is the way to go?

az81

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Re: Weighing weekly instead of monthly - pro's & cons?

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 am

I wouldn't get too hung up on BMRs. Unless you are hooked up to a laboratory machine all other methods are approximates.
The same is true with exercise machines that read out how many calories you are burning etc.
I've run into the ground two exercise bikes and currently working hard on the third one. Although I work out at the same rate on each of these bikes; each has given me a vastly different rate of calorie burn.
It is only through experience that I've learnt that if I work out at certain intensities (within myself - each bike's "intensity levels" are different), for certain amount of times and what time of day what I could expect on the scales as a result.
Also don't forget that BMR is a measure at rest ie how much energy you would just laying in bed all day.
How active you really are can make all the difference yet again.

Having said all that most responsible experts recommend weekly weigh ins.
My practice however was (and is) it weigh every day.
Doing so greatly aided my understanding how my body reacted to different forms and intensities of exercise, the natural rhythm of the body, how sleep affects weight loss, how sickness effects weight loss, how muscle making effects weight loss, how different foods and portions affects weight loss and above all kept me intensely aware of my weight loss mission and made sure that I was accountable for my actions - daily.
But daily weigh ins are not for the faint hearted. It quickly shows you just how much your body's weight can fluctuate from day to day.
But if you stick to it and don't live or die on the daily number you can learn an awful lot of useful things that will help you succeed.
My daily weigh ins mattered but it was my weekly weigh ins that counted as "solid" numbers for my journey's success.
My whole week's actions were focussed on getting a good outcome my weekly weigh in (each Friday).

One of the things that I regret not doing that you may find helpful is not only doing a weekly weigh in but also a weekly measure.
On the weeks that no noticeable loss is occurring (which will happen specially at the pointy end of your weight loss), you can take solace in shrinking waistlines, necklines and thighs etc.
The weeks when no weight loss is registering on the scales are usually the very weeks when muscle growth is kicking in.
Muscle that is making trimmer, more fit and upping your metabolism burn rate.

Hope you find this useful. :)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby az81 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:32 am

I try not to get hung up too much on BMR's, but without some sort of guide, I know I would eat too many calories. This is where I have failed in the past, I would attempt to count calories but get bogged down in all the details. Now that I have a Fitbit to guide me and a better understanding of how to count the calories, I'm doing much better.

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Postby Blitz » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:35 am

Using it as a rough guide is fine. 8)
Things come unstuck when people approach weight loss as a maths problem ie consume X amount of calories and exercise Y amount of calories will get me Z result.
Unfortunately this approach can't cover all the variables in play in weight loss and the person ends up getting discouraged when the body doesn't react in the predicted way of their simple sums.
It is more helpful to view weight loss as an art rather than as a science.
While artists are aware that there are certain underlining concepts and rules in art, they will often approach their working through "gut instinct" rather than head knowledge.
Weight loss is about developing successful skills that you can apply into your lifestyle. The better you get at that - the better the results will be.
Don't confuse knowledge with skill. Skill is the ability to apply knowledge in applicable ways into your life.
Many have knowledge but few have skills.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Tams » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I like what Blitz is saying.

This is for life, so we need a way to live 'easy'. It is much 'easier' on the emotional ups and downs when striving to lose and not really seeing the steady amazing losses someone else might have, to have the measurements not so much as a do or die goal, but as a learning tool. You are learning how your body works in all sorts of conditions; eating various ways, eating various amounts, growth and decay as a result of exercise/illness/meds/tiredness/bodily rhythms/stress etc.

My measurements are certainly not steady - but just the tracking and notemaking has allowed me to understand that some differences that don't hang around too long, are the result of biological functions. Not fat loss/gain. Conversely, I have also noticed that sometimes the scales look great (a big loss), even over a sustained time of a few weeks, and yet my view in the mirror and how I look/fit in clothes doesnt measure up with how I was at that weight previously...I have lost muscle instead of fat, and that fits with an honest review of my food. (Beware the weird goggles tho - sometimes how we see ourselve is not true, so take a larger perspective all the time!)

We need a few 'markers' to track our progress. And when we use them over time, they give us a lot of understanding. I like what you were saying about tracking by how you feel (there are a number - the feeling of satisfaction at achieving and maintaining good eating, the feeling of more health/energy/focus, and the feel of your clothes!). If you can add the weigh ins with the mindset of 'interest' (NOT success/failure), then long term frequent weigh-ins can be very educational. And you will also start to know when you have to pull back/push harder so as to not have even more weight gain over an extended time (like the 3 more weeks you mentioned)...and when that gain just can't be fat and you're going ok.

For me, I weigh in PM and AM - for medical insight - and I place a bit more 'weight' on how I read my weekly weigh in, and even more 'weight' on the trend over 4 weeks or more. I don't get too discouraged if one week is poor...because it's not a surprise, and I can generally work out the reason and judge whether its 'ok' or I need to pull my finger out!
Tams

Return to Weight loss Talk