It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 am

Free Newsletter

No more excuses

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

No more excuses

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:28 am

The other day in the weekly healthy living section of the newspaper they were exploring the advantages of having a good breakfast to start your day particularly in regard to being helpful in weight loss.
They had a section about reasons people give for not eating breakfast and lifestyle remedies to those problems.
What struck me is the lameness of those reasons.
Stuff like "too rushed in the morning to cook something" to "too busy getting the kids ready for school".
All these things are the circumstances of their lives. How you deal with those circumstances is the issue.
In the end these things are time management issues - and ought not to be used as excuses.

Why aren't these reasons valid excuses?
They are not valid because something can be done to change the outcome.
And that change can only occur when that person is willing to undertake that change.
We do the things we want to do.
The flip side of that coin is equally true...we don't do the things that we don't want to do.

Isn't it passing strange that we always find time to do those favourite things of ours (shopping for clothes, watching a tv show or hoeing into a cream bun at morning tea)?
Yet that "to do" list (dust the house, mow the lawn or do the tax return) never seems to get tackled.
I was listening to a sermon by my favourite speaker (Howard Hendricks) the other day, in which he said the following:
"You have heard it said that there are only two certainties in life - death and taxes...let me introduce you to another one - change"

All life is about choices for change.
Those that don't actively make choices perversely actually passively choose a course of change anyway.
Isn't it a better to make a conscious choice for change rather than being blown by the winds of change and finding yourself in a place unlooked for?

Time to stop using the circumstances of our lives as excuses.
We choose to do the things we want to do.
It is time to do the right things to do and benefit with a changed life that is healthier and holds the promise of a better future.
It is time to stop the the excuses.
Let's have no more excuses.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Re: No more excuses

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:07 am

Oh so true....
People like too put blame on everything but themselves...
Look at yourself ...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 am

tinkerbella wrote:Oh so true....
People like too put blame on everything but themselves...
Look at yourself ...

The first step to successful weight loss is indeed to take a good long look at yourself and honestly face the issues.

That is why I think that those of us who have had some measure of success can be so blunt to others who are starting out on this journey.
We have been brutally honest with ourselves and quit playing those mind games that hold us back that we have a low tolerance when we see others playing those games.
I know that I have been guilty of this and hopefully learning to hold my tongue better.
We must develop a sympathy for them and gentle lead them to enlightenment rather than bully them to "righteousness".
After all; you can lead the horse to water but you can't make it drink it.
However we can provide it with some encouraging salt might make it thirsty enough to try the water. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:58 pm

Yep. I see a lot of people quite happy (or at least, not too dissatisfied) to change as the wind blows rather than by their own design. Myself included. Fear of the unknown...
CronicBadger

Return to Weight loss Talk