It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Starting to dread the approaching weigh in...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Starting to dread the approaching weigh in...

Postby az81 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm doing everything the same as I have been lately, so logic dictates (even though logic never seems to come into play with this sort of thing) that I will have lost some more weight over the course of the past week.

But for some reason, I'm really not looking forward to getting on the scales tomorrow - I have the feeling that I'm not going to be happy with the result. Currently, I'm averaging a loss of 1.5kg in a week. Even if I have lost less than that this week, I'll be alright with that. But I get the feeling I'm going to get a bad result tomorrow.

Is this kind of fear a common thing?

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Re: Starting to dread the approaching weigh in...

Postby Blitz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 am

az81 wrote:Is this kind of fear a common thing?

Yep.

Psychologically this happens as we are very anxious to get results. So all those fears play out.
The most relaxed I was about my weight during my journey was always the day after weigh in.
Sure enough the closer I got to weigh in day the more focus I put in my exercise and eating habits.
What you have to learn to do is use this concern as a spur but not as a wild whip.

This is one of the advantages of weighing yourself every day.
There are no nasty surprises. You are able to see the trend coming and head it off before your weekly weigh in.

As for the feared result itself...
A no show at the scales ISN'T the end of the world in itself.
Douglas Adams' book "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" has the most helpful advice for such occasions...
DON"T PANIC
Assuming that you've eaten properly and exercise right;
then that leaves two logical reasons why you find yourself with a gain or a very poor result.
Firstly - your body is needing some much needed catch up time and is retaining fluid to do it's work.
This water water WILL pass...and all will be well.
Secondly - you've worked so hard that you have gained muscle mass which masks your fat loss.
This is a GOOD THING...muscle will burn a heck of a lot of more calories down the track as it elevates your metabolism.

I'm doing everything the same as I have been lately, so logic dictates (even though logic never seems to come into play with this sort of thing) that I will have lost some more weight over the course of the past week.

This is false logic. In weight loss "sameness" means that you give your body a chance to regulate itself to cope.
The body is always seeking ways to run as efficiently as it can. But a person who is trying to lose weight is burn off as much calories as they can.

Think of it as running a car. To save petrol you drive economically as you can. With rev heads however; fuel economy is out the window as they take off at the lights like a bat out of hell, then weave through traffic - at one moment going like the clappers and then the next braking hard to avoid running into the back of some poor fool...only having to reach the next set of lights in time to either just bolt through the amber or having to brake furiously stop in time for the red light. Like the rev head - our task is to keep changing it up to keep our bodies on their toes.
Professional athletes know this method well. They don't do the same thing daily. Generally they will have one moderate day, follow with a hard training day and then follow that with a easier day of training.

What is true for exercise is also true for food intake as well.
The good solid piece of steak every now and then always give me a good result on the scales in the days that followed.

Weight loss is a journey...what we learn on that journey is what counts.
Those that don't learn will journey longer - until they do learn.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk