It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Eating right and exercising - No Results?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Eating right and exercising - No Results?

Postby XdanielX » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm

A bit of advice if someone can help me out. Please be kind, I'm new to this whole exercise/dieting thing ha.

Basically I'm 25, 6'0, male, and I weight around 101kg.

for 2 weeks now I have been eating:

Breakfast: One apple and one banana.

Lunch: Chicken breast or Fish or A small piece of steak either of them about the size of my palm with veggies.

Dinner: Same as lunch but an alternative to whatever I chose for lunch.

Snack: Low calorie protein shake (serve is 2 scoops but I have one scoop) with 250ml skim milk, a small teaspoon of peanut butter, half a cup of oats added for a bit more flavour and a bit of a filler.

Exercise: I signed up to a gym and go 4 times a week each time I spend at least 30 mins doing medium intensity cardio and then spend about 30-45 mins lifting weights, nothing crazy heavy I'm not that strong yet but to the weight where I can just get through 10-12 reps, but I'll use about 3 diff machines for upper or lower body on whatever day and do maybe 4-5 x 12 on each machine. The next day I'm not really in pain etc, just some slight tenderness etc.

I also only drink water (about 4-5 big glasses throughout the day and 1-2 water bottles at the gym) and my snack protein shake.

I believe I am eating at a caloric deficit and I put my intake at about 1500-1600 cals a day and that mixed with the exercise I thought, this should be sufficient for what I am trying to achieve.

So I go to weigh myself the other day and much to my horror, I've GAINED weight. 0.4kg

Now I haven't been doing it long enough to SEE any differences so it's not like I can even say well I can see I'm getting smaller so I'm obviously losing fat and gaining muscle so I really don't know.

Any ITK people can tell me if this is what it is or what it might be or if I'm doing anything wrong etc?

Cheers
January 4th 2016: 101kg
XdanielX

Re: Eating right and exercising - No Results?

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:00 pm

It can take more than two weeks for a diet to have good results. The biology of weight-loss is not simple. For example, when fat cells lose lipids they absorb water for a few weeks before they begin to shrink.

Muscle is heavier than fat, so as you gain muscle through exercise your weight may actually increase for a little while until muscle growth tapers off.

If you've increased fibre input, or your body is experiencing stress then your intestines might be holding more water than usual.

Basically, if you have a calorific deficit you will lose fat, so just keep doing what you're doing for a few more weeks. You will see results eventually.
Striving to improve in every way possible.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:23 pm

If I was you I would drop the snacks and have your breakfast as your snack (one fruit for morning and one for afternoon).
Protein shakes were originally designed for anorexics...then the weight/body builders got a hold of it...and now the weight loss industry are abusing it.

Also suggest that you have a proper breakfast.
When I was losing weight I would have two WeetBix and a banana. Twice a week I would have bacon (trimmed of most fat) and egg on one piece of bread.

Too much protein for lunch. Try a slice of meat on a piece of bread (use lettuce/grated carrot etc to bulk it up).

Keep your dinner. But you might like to try some of the recipes on this site to excite your pallet on your journey. :D

Wishing you all success on your journey! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Be interested to see how you have faired over the past month, looked to be eating enough of a deficit to lose weight but for whatever reason you make have exerted yourself so much at the gym that you are bulking up from the off?!?
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 110 Kg (12 Jan 2017)
Current :101.9 Kg (28 Feb 2018)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014) : 99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Target : 99.9 Kg by 1st Apr 2018
JP1

Postby Blitz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:41 pm

Weight loss is always more of an art than science!
So many variables come into play that just as you think you have it sussed; your body shifts and you come unstuck.
Experience gives you a "gut" instinct after a while and that helps you to get there.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Weight loss Talk