It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Diet Softdrinks and Weight Gain

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Diet Softdrinks and Weight Gain

Postby Lolly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I heard a whisper that diet softdrinks can actually impede your chances of losing weight so I went googling and look at what I found :shock:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/107/108476.htm

I think I just opened my last bottle of diet coke :shock:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Lolly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:59 pm

[/url]
Lolly

Postby Jisgone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:01 pm

water water water :P
Jisgone

Postby Lolly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:05 pm

I have been slowly decreasing the amount of diet coke I have been drinking and only have half a bottle left in the house now - that is it!! NO MORE DIET COKE unless it is a special occassion.

No bloody wonder I have gained so much weight - some days I would only drink diet coke all day - no water at all :shock:

[/url]
Lolly

Postby Jisgone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:16 pm

diet coke doesnt help your body clean out and digest properly! you NEED water to do all those good things :P when i first started drinking alot of water i was going to the toilet every 5 minutes because my body was getting rid of all my toxins and stuff, but that settled down soon enough :)
good job on ditching the fizzy stuff!
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm

Image they did mention something about the diet softdrinks on the news yesterday but i sorta wasnt watching lol. ill have a diet lemonade on special occasions- like family bbqs or get togethers but i drink water throughout the day. because i make sure i drink at least 2 litres a day, i dont really have the thirst for any other drink!
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:41 pm

i love your bear kate :P im going to a hawaiian party in a few weeks and i have to dress up hehe
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:43 pm

Image hehe she is funky :) i am trying to add a picture each day to my posts for something different :) have fun at the aprty! if i had a hawaiian party i would have bags of.... allens pineapples!!
kate_turner2000

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:53 pm

mmm i take these things with a grain of salt . I remeber when ice cream was bad then good fruit juice was good then bad lol in 3 years another study will say the opposite . I think if it works for u do it . It might not work for others . Not every body i the same
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby yummymummy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:32 pm

I have heard and I do find it with my self the diet soft drink can make you more hungry because it affects blood sugar levels therefor those who drink diet soft drink eat more due to increased hunger. I still manage far to much diet coke and my 2L water a day. I dont think I would be able to give it up :cry:
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby SarahC » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:49 am

I have read somewhere that the artificial sweetner in soft drinks can stimulate appetite. I hardly ever drink soft drinks anymore, the only reason being that it makes me bloated - yuck. Besides, I am drinking too much water to have room for any other liquids, except for the occasional tea or coffee :roll:

The article was interesting... pretty obvious findings though. Of course more overweight people will be drinking the diet drinks... but I guess some people use that as an excuse to eat extra food, which would probably contain more calories than if they had the sugary non-diet soft drink in the first place lol.

Water is cheaper anyway (well tap water that is!) :P
SarahC

Postby Pepper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:04 am

hushpuppy wrote:mmm i take these things with a grain of salt . I remeber when ice cream was bad then good fruit juice was good then bad lol in 3 years another study will say the opposite . I think if it works for u do it . It might not work for others . Not every body i the same Jules
[center]Image
SPOT ON Jules!!! [/center]
Not every BODY is the same, and this rubbish about Diet Coke and/or any other diet drink is the evil villan that contributes to weight gain is a load of total BS. Image If you eat 2 family sized pizzas all the while drinking 2 cans of diet coke, what did you believe helped put the weight on, the pizza or the DC?? The pizza of course, ahhh...but how quickly we forget!!! As soon as someone (most likely a clever manufacturer promoting their non fizzy drinks ie. natural spring water or some such thing) comes along and runs a so-called study aimed to help boost sales in water, and everyone thinks "okay let's ditch the Diet Coke" Hoorah....marketing ploy worked; THEY'VE WON!!!

Want to hear a joke?? I, as an obese person work with leading medical scientists who have dedicated YEARS no, DECADES in fact researching into obseity in our western countries, and THEY keep telling me that diet drinks DO NOT contribute to weight gain, poor food choices and lack of mobility does that!!! They concede that artificial sweeteners are not good for you, and best avoided or at least consumed (like all things) in moderation, but in themselves are not the enemy. Is the car to blame for killing the pedestrian who walked jumped out in front of the car??? Or was it the drunk driver behind the wheel?? The car was/is the vehicle, it is a machine that move in the direction steered.

What about the catwalk models who eat virtually nothing all day, and living on can after can of Diet Coke and cigarettes. They'll probably die of lung cancer or malnutrition before the DC has a chance to eat away at their livers. So how come they aren't my size???

Get serious people, DC is only ONE of many vices that aided us all in becoming what we are today. On it's own, it can't do anything except maybe (in excess) cause some liver damage, in which case it's best to limit its consumption. Anything in EXCESS is bad, no matter what it is!!

Eat healthy, balanced meals, in moderate portions, increase physical activity, drink plenty of water (for hydration) and get plenty of sleep and you'll live a healthier, happier life.
[center]ImageImage [/center]
Ditching diet drinks or cutting back on fruits because of their sugar content will not stop that entire box of chocolates from ending up on your hips!!! [center]Image[/center]

In the meantime, I keep telling my colleagues, "hurry up with that obesity pill" they've been working on!!! Fantastic scientist, but geez they're slooooooowwwwwwwww !!! :roll: :lol:
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Groovychic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:45 am

There ya go Pepper, sorted for ya mate! Now I will go back and read what the post is about!!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby hushpuppy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 am

APPLAUDS PEPPER exactly . Scientist get paid to say this is bad or good by the companys they are Ditching or not ditching
JUles
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Pepper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:56 am

That's right Jules.

Unfortunately, we the consumer are all too often ignorant of what goes on behind the scenes.

It really is a battle of what the biggest and wealthiest magnate is pushing this week/month/year and how much money they have poured into the pockets of researchers, politicians, advertising companies etc etc etc to get their product out there.

If you listen to everything they say, you may or may not lose weight, but without doubt you are guaranteed of going INSANE!!! Image

It really is all using common sense; eating (anything) in moderation, and above all keeping active to enjoy good health and happy living. :D
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk