It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Diet Softdrinks and Weight Gain

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Groovychic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:58 am

I agree totally with you there Pepper. It is about the marketing of a product. The only thing that I have had a medical opinion about diet coke is that Frank's uncle, who has a very dicky ticker!, was told by the doc that all that diet coke he has been drinking for the last however many years has contributed greatly to stuff his kidneys. They are shutting down and he now needs dialysis. The doctors told him that it was most likely the diet coke. I've always sort of thought things with natural sugar should be better for you than things with fake sugar. I spose it's like the age old arguement about butter and margarine as well. Which one is better for you. None. The same with soft drinks and diet soft drinks, none is the better option. I drink the equivelent of about 3 cans of softdrink (mainly dry ginger ale or lemonade) each week, generally as a mixer with alcohol. So to me that is drinking it in moderation. I don't buy diet because I don't want the kids to drink it. I don't like the kids having coke full stop. They probably average 1 can a week of softdrink at the most. They can have water or milk most of the time, with 1 small glass of orange juice a day and that is not to be had after tea! I'm very conscious of their teeth. I used to give them lolly pops when they were little and I think they started to eat the backs of their front teeth because they would let it sit there. They haven't had a lolly pop for about the last 4 years so their adult teeth havent been affected by it. Sometimes Ash will suck on a chocolate frog and I tell her off severly. The longer the sugar stays in the mouth the more damage that is being done. Anyway I am way off topic yet again!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Pepper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:01 am

Groovychic wrote:There ya go Pepper, sorted for ya mate! Now I will go back and read what the post is about!!! :lol:
Thanks Groovychic,

Don't want people blaming double (triple) vision on excessive diet soft drink consumption!!! :lol:
[center] Image[/center]
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 am

Okies Pepper I now get it all :D

I have cut back on my consumption of DC and replaced heaps of it with water so I will still enjoy it as well.

Thank you so much

And tell your scientists to damn well hurry up with that obesity pill!!
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Pepper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:45 am

[quote="Groovychic"] Frank's uncle, who has a very dicky ticker!, was told by the doc that all that diet coke he has been drinking for the last however many years has contributed greatly to stuff his kidneys. They are shutting down and he now needs dialysis. The doctors told him that it was most likely the diet coke. I've always sort of thought things with natural sugar should be better for you than things with fake sugar. [quote]Hi GC,
BTW...my bad...when you get a minute can you please go back into my posts (above) and replace the word "liver" with "kidneys". Liver is generally affected by excessive consumption of alcohol, not Diet Coke!! :oops:

And yes, the doctor is absolutely correct. Too much diet coke, or any artifical sweetener will damage your kidneys which is why water is the best alternative; it keeps the kidneys clear of nasty chemicals and in healthy order!! :wink: But if you MUST have your fizzy diet drinks, the scientists at work have voted Coke Zero as a better alternative (but again, in moderation people please).
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Pepper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:48 am

Lolly wrote: And tell your scientists to damn well hurry up with that obesity pill!!
I keep at them Lolly, trust me!! :wink:
Pepper

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:48 am

So, Coke Zero is better than Diet Coke?

I thought they would be the same thing?

I personally don't like to drink Coke at all anymore, having switched to diet coke years ago.

I am now up to 2 litres of water a day and about 1 or 2 glasses of diet coke - and I prefer the water :oops:

[/url]
Lolly

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:49 am

Forgot to mention, I don't drink heaps of coffee (maybe a cup or 2 a week) so diet coke is my only caffeine intake - I have decaf tea in the mornings :D

[/url]
Lolly

Postby milo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:16 am

Oh no, no, no

I cant live with out my new addiction of coke zero.. I was drinking loads of it..

Its interesting because at weight watchers you can drink diet drink and its 0 points :? Hmm I wonder if that will change now?
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby hushpuppy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:22 pm

thats what o was thinking cause most diet say its ok to drink diet coke (caffine free) i know WW does as does many other . Now im even more confused lol
I know water is best but anyways
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Groovychic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:26 pm

It will still be 0 points Milo because there are no calories in it. You cant give something with no calories a point. Just have it in moderation Milo. It's fine, like everything else, in moderation. As long as you arent consuming more food because you think o well that is no calories I can have this mars bar as well. I'd certainly be limiting myself to half as much as you normally drink. But that goes for any drink or food that has high calories, cut it down to half of what you usually have. I'm sure there will be a difference.

Geez I wish I could listen to my own advice!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Chinta » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:20 pm

I was addicted to coke for years, switched to diet coke, then to Pepsi Max (which cause HUGE dental problems for me, and a few other people I know)....... then switched back to Diet coke, Lemon coke then lime coke.
It was extremely difficult to get off of coke, but I did it, about 2 years ago.

Now if i`m at a party or in shopping centres, I do treat myself to diet coke but I wont purchase bottles/cans to take home, as I know it will become my main liquid source again :wink:
ImageImage
Chinta

Postby tree » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:10 am

I have heard the thing about the chemicals in diet coke making you crave calories and it has made me think twice about how much of it I drink. I do find that water all the time gets boring and not satisfying. I drink a fair bit of peppermint tea at work and find this is a good option - no caffine etc.

I agree with you though it is the bag of crisps that you eat with the diet coke that is the problem.
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Postby garn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:51 pm

hI eVERYONE,
Was just checking through the old posts and stumbled on this one re the diet soft drinks...what would you consider a 'moderate' amount.

I generally have a can of pepsi max with my lunch. Occasionally i will have some at night, but gave up on drinking the stuff all the time as it was affecting my sleep.... (bloody caffine).

Just curious to see others opinions.

anita :)

Mini Goal 100
garn

Postby Groovychic » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:31 pm

To me a moderate amount would be around 3 cans a week. But I dont know if that is what the health gurus would call moderate. I dont like to have more than 3 or 4 cans of softdrink(whether mixed with alcohol or not) a week. I guess maybe cut it down to half or something anita. Its entirely up to you. If your weight loss is going to plan then don't change a thing!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Pepper is a very wise lady.

I doubt anyone will argue that water is the best choice of drink to have...regardless of whether you're trying to lose weight...nature beats manufacturer any day of the week.

But these "studies" don't really prove anything. When reading such "studies" ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask yourself questions like

"who funded this research"?
    "have they got a hidden agenda...something they need to sell for example?"
    "what are they REALLY saying when you unpack all the media spin?"

The first article that was posted basically said nothing ... it didn't say diet soft drink causes obesity (in fact it made it clear there is no causal link) and it did say that there were too many other unknown factors to have any idea why 40% of the people in their study who drank diet soft drink became obese. Pointless frigging article if you want my opinion (I know you didn't ask for it but I am quite passionate on the subject of bogus so-called reporting on science).

The second article that was posted has zero credibility because the guy was selling nutritional supplements. His "facts" are going to support whatever line he needs you to believe in order to buy his supplements.

So...if you want to drink a diet coke (or coke zero or whatever the heck else you like) after you've had your 2 litres of water...go right ahead...if you're eating right and doing your exercise it is not going to have any detrimental impact on your weight loss whatsoever.

Except maybe If you drink a lot of caffeinated diet soft drink you'll have trouble sleeping and may get too tired to exercise but that's about the extent of it.

There isn't a single study out there with any proven scientific fact in it that proves otherwise. I don't count paid advertisements or "news" articles masquerading as such by folks with something to sell.

I'm climbing off my soapbox now.
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk