It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 am

Free Newsletter

Diet Softdrinks and Weight Gain

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm

*applauds* Well said, Mary!!! I wasn't sure how to reply to this post so I just left it, but I think that pretty much sums it up!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby evilwomaniamshe » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:11 pm

AMEN! Well here's my 2 cents on the subject. If somebody wants to drink diet pop, I say drink on if you enjoy it. If diet soda or fake sugars are sooooo bad for you, why do doctors recommend them to diabetics for the past umpteen years I ask?? I personally know many people who are diabetics and they are in their 90's and they still drink diet soda daily and use the fake sugar substitutes too.

As for me personally I have drank my share as well, including using Splenda (the fake sugar substitute). Anyways, it seems to me, each time that I use the fake sugar, it does make me hungrier and want to eat more, and this is a proven fact that it does make you hungrier and I agree with that that diet pop does give your cravings.

However, It has been 2 weeks and I have not had any diet pop, only because I think it bloats me from all the bubbles, so I have been sticking to water and tea. Sometimes I will drink a lipton diet green tea citrus flavored, (it takes like iced tea sorta, it's nice and lite) it comes in bottles, I buy them at walmart and they are DELISH, so I will continue on with this route. Also they make some flavored diet crystals that you can add to your water, for 0 calories and these are pretty good as well.
evilwomaniamshe
evilwomaniamshe

Postby CrimsonThunder » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:48 pm

In the end diet is better for you than normal. I drink a small amount of diet and normal soft drink during the day at work.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Pepper » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm

mary_in_adelaide wrote: Pepper is a very wise lady..
:oops: Awwwwwww stop :oops: ImageI could get used to this kinda praise!! :lol:

Seriously, you're absolutely spot on Mary, these "studies" are designed, funded and manipulated by huge corporate giants as part of their bidding wars aimed at targetting your pockets not your waistline. Public health and safety is the least of their concern!!!

The fundamental basics to maximise good health is moderation. No need to exclude anything (even processed food) as long as you remember to exercise (and yes there's a pun there too) good ol' fashion common-sense.

I mean really, think about it for a minute.....it'd be pretty stupid if we eat a whole family size pizza, full stick of garlic bread, wash it all down with 2 litres of Diet Coke, then lay on the couch eating chips, choccies, lollies etc for the next few hours before bed, only to turn around and blame it on the beverage when the pointer on scales registers clear off the screen!!! :oops: :cry: :oops:

mary_in_adelaide wrote: There isn't a single study out there with any proven scientific fact in it that proves otherwise. I don't count paid advertisements or "news" articles masquerading as such by folks with something to sell..
Touche Mary, I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Image
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 am

Pepper wrote:I mean really, think about it for a minute.....it'd be pretty stupid if we eat a whole family size pizza, full stick of garlic bread, wash it all down with 2 litres of Diet Coke, then lay on the couch eating chips, choccies, lollies etc for the next few hours before bed, only to turn around and blame it on the beverage when the pointer on scales registers clear off the screen!!! :oops: :cry: :oops:

Yeah it's pretty funny because at work (Hungry Jacks) people buy a double whopper value meal upgraded to large and then they get the drink changed to diet coke, why? It doesnt taste better and you're obviously not trying to watch what you're eating. :P
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Ally » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:35 am

I will throw the spanner in the works here.....I agree in essense of what you are saying about people that overeat and then order a diet coke etc....not denying that fact at all.

I just wanted to give you all an idea on how artificial sweeteners affected me and why I had to stop drinking or eating anything with artificial sweeteners of any kind in it as it was making me extremely ill. The doctors could not explain any of the side effects that I was having.....numbness in only my left arm travelling up to the back of my neck, dizziness, lightheaded, a tingling feeling over most of my body,my belly always being really bloated (when I wasn't premenstural), headaches that were sometimes really severe....according to doctors I had nothing wrong with me...I came across some interesting medical articles on the effects of the artificial stuff and I stopped drinking and eating it anything with it and within 6 weeks all these things stopped. I tried a glass of diet coke about 8 weeks after I had stopped and I woke up the next morning and my face was full of fluid (like a really bad period) and my head was throbbing. I am not a "paid ad" nor an "expert", but I sure know what happenes to my body when I drink or eat it!!!!!!

....I was only drinking 3-4 glasses a week...not litres a day! I was having mostly sugar-free lollies, chewing gum, jellies, jarrah choc drinks.....now I just have count the extra kilojoules if I have an aktavite choc milk, try and avoid lollies most of the time, and if I want jelly, same deal...I count the calories and add it into my daily total.

I cannot speak for anyone else, only my experience.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby evilwomaniamshe » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:47 am

Sounds like your definitely allergic to the fake sugars ally. Wow, that is scary and I am glad they narrowed it down finally. My sister is the same way, she gets headaches and nausea if she drinks the stuff, however it does not affect me.

I also have a girlfriend who is highly allergic, not even drinking it, just touching the fake sugars, true story. Onetime I spilt some fake sugar on the table and my girlfriend wiped it off with her hand, next thing you know her hand was burning and hives came all over her face and she had trouble breathing all because of the fake sugar she touched. Her dr. said she is not allowed to drink it either, some people react to it and others not, ... SCARY none the less. Who would have thunk? It was so strange to see, otherwise I never would have believed it. Atleast she and you now too that the artificial sweeters are not meant for everyone... Thanks for sharing your story.
evilwomaniamshe
evilwomaniamshe

Postby Ally » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:53 am

I was always a scoffer too!! I have drunk the stuff for years and always put aside what was happening...but I definately feel a lot better in myself (health wise) for not having it in my system....yeah it is true, it doesn't affect all people (no different to anything else), but there is often 2 sides to the story, which is why I wanted to throw mine in the ring, so to speak.

That is scary stuff about your friend not being able to even touch it!! Imagine what it would do to her if she drank it! :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk