It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 am

Free Newsletter

How do I stop from nibbling???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi guys,

Was talking to my Mum about all of this and the journey that I'm now on... and she suggested seeing a hypnotherapist to help me break the mindless cycle... Any thoughts? Anyone with any experience with this who can offer some insight into it's efficiency? I mean, I don't want to just find some instant solution, but it is amazing how many times a day I am reaching for food. Today, for example, I opened the cupboard to search for, well, anything, decided I wasn't hungry and walked away, then no more than five minutes later found myself in front of the cupboard again. Surely skinny people don't do this!!!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Image suppose its worth a shot, although ive heard it can be quite expensive. it works for a lot of smokers but then again it doesnt work for some.... *sigh*
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:45 pm

Yeah, and that expensive thing is pretty close to a deal breaker... The other thing is that I'm not too sure about having someone hypnotise me if I've never met anyone who trusts them... if you know what I mean... It's a pretty vulnerable position to put yourself in. :?

Dee
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:48 pm

hey dee you can always take someone with you- like your mum or a friend or something so you know you will be in good hands. maybe some doctors might have some phone numbers of people who you could contact? so they arent shonky people doing it from their garage at home with a folding card table and ripping you off!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:52 pm

I'm with Ally, this is a habit and you need to break it. Or at least look at why you are doing it. How do you feel when you wander to the cupboard? If you're not hungry why are you there? Penalise yourself for going to the cupboard if you're not hungry. Charge yourself 10 cents a dollar or whatever, like a swear jar.

Maybe you need more complex carbs (veges, legumes, brown rice, oats) to fill you. I find if I add beans and/or brown rice to just about any salad mix it is more filling and it doesn't have to be vast amounts 50g of each will make a difference. Well it does for me. :D

Not sure about the hypnotherapy thing as I have never done it. Best of luck and let us know how you go.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:06 pm

oooh GOOD IDEA Kim!!

I like the idea of penalising myself - for two reasons... one it means that I'm making myself more aware of what I'm doing, and two it means that by the time I reach my goal weight I'll be able to afford to go on a tropical cruise to reward myself!

It really doesn't matter how full I am, I can eat a complete meal, and still find myself at the cupboard 15 mintues later - before the meal has even had a chance to settle!
[/url]
Dee

Postby SarahC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:50 pm

Hehe, I like the swear jar idea. You'd just want to make sure you had enough change lying around though! It would be a bit of a wake up call to actually count the number of times you looked in the cupboard. If I tried it, I would send myself broke!

I have a self-hypnosis CD (oh dear, just pulled it out and had a look... it says "do not use this CD whilst driving a vehicle" :lol: ). I haven't really found it all that successful, maybe because it's not tailored specifically to me and my problems, it's very general. I use it now more as a relaxation thing, as the first part of the CD is basically relaxation. I only last about 10 mins before I'm asleep... then I'm awake a couple of hours later and back in the cupboard :oops:

I'm thinking more towards seeing a counsellor (work has an Employee Assistance Program - free!), or becoming involved in OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Still thinking... not yet doing lol. Maybe you could consider something like that as well??
SarahC

Postby Pinkie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks Ally - I should try that. I miss my icecream or frozen treat after dinner (that's my sweet tooth attack again! :roll: ) so the frozen grapes sound like a fab idea!!

Tree I like your plan to go to the loo upstairs - you'll be super fit in no time!!
Pinkie xx

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBH58xg/]
[/url]
Pinkie

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:40 pm

Kim - that's a fantastic idea about the swear jar!!! Maybe you could put money in it when you are 'bad' and give in, and when you're 'good' and resist temptation to nibble and snack you can take money back out as a reward??

Sarah - I have a general hypnotherapy CD as well, I used to play it every night. Didn't find it really worked much either because as you said, it's very general!!! The guy's voice is really creepy too :(
zeedeveelgirl

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk