It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:27 am

Free Newsletter

Need help

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help

Postby Nikki_1983 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:43 pm

i have just joined this forum so im not sure if anyone has asked this before but i need to know how i can get help from my partner with my weight loss.... he is very supportive of me and encourages me all the time :D , BUT everytime he goes the the cupboards he pulls out a packet of chips or something none healthy :cry: .... he has never had a weight problem in his life so he doesn't realise how hard it is for me to watch him eat all that *yummy* :shock: kind of food... i try my hardest to stay eating healthy but usually give in after a couple of days....

does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do????
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSoJmIs/]
[/url]
Nikki_1983

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:49 pm

He needs to do the same educational things as my hubby - he is the same poor bugga has been trying hard but making the wrong choices for me lol

I reckon we need to set up a "Healthy Eating for your Wife 101" class for all our skinny and never been fat in their lives husbands around here :lol:

Let him see what you are eating, tell him how many calories are in things and if you eat it - how much you will have left for the day etc so he knows you are not really allowed to have chips etc.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby milo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:53 pm

The story pf my life... I spoke to my Dh and he seemed to be very supportive.. And stopped eating it all the time.

Do you go shopping together? Maybe you could encourage him to buy healthy snacks
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Image hi there nikki
welcome to the group! would love you to write something about yourself in the intro section if you get a sec :) as for your partner... hmmm... maybe make sure you dont keep those types of foods in your house. we have foods like that in my place but theyre things im not really into like chips and bikkies (my fiances fave!) im more an icecream, lolly and chocolate fan! sit down with him and just explain that you would prefer him to eat those foods when you are in the shower maybe? or whilst you arent there or when he is out. maybe he would like to become healthy too? maybe suggest that you should both eat healthy together? have something available for you for when he is eating those types of food- like vegies and salsa or air popped pop corn? best wishes and i hope he stops eating temptations in front of you, but remember everywhere you go in this world there will be tempting foods- for a long term goal learn to say no to foods like that
kate_turner2000

Postby Chinta » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Nikki, I know how you feel......... My other half has a huge square tupperware cake container full of lollies (He got them all at Christmas ), and it sits here right next to the PC.
If you want to succeed, you just have to Choose not to eat that sort of .
I call all his treat "freinkenfoods".. as they are not foods in their natural state such as meat, fruits vegies etc :lol:
ImageImage
Chinta

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:27 am

I think it all comes down to whether we WANT to lose the weight. Sure eating all that food sounds great, but it is just crap food and it is going to put weight on you. We all at some stage have sat and said how "selfish" our husbands and partners are for eating this kind of food in front of us....but hold the phone...they live in the same house as us and as such are entitled to eat what they want. I think at times we are the selfish ones by saying "don't eat that in front of me". We are the ones who have chosen to eat healthy, so eat healthy...the more you sit and drool over his icecream or lollies the more you are going to want it....let him have his/her snack and be prepared with something of your own....so low fat biscuits or crackers with cheese or salsa are great snacks to have on hand...we can't go around with blinkers on pretending these foods don't exist....we have to learn to live them.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 am

I think you're right Ally, it that we are the ones making the choice to eat healthy and live longer... But... I also think this is part of what good ol' Dr. Phil says about creating a no fail environment. In a perfect world there would be no temptation, but when we're watching somebody else wolf down half a pack of chips it's really hard not to tell yourself you'll just have a couple - after all, everything in moderation. I think that maybe letting your dh know that the first month is the toughest, and you'd really appreciate him keeping those foods away from you for a month or so; that way you'll be right into your new lifestyle before he brings them back, and better able to resist - I hope. :?
Having said all that; I'm really no one to offer advice - my dh is just as bad!
:roll:
Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:44 am

I guess I found it easier to just have it around me right from the start....if I stuffed up and ate the chips or lollies or chocs, I would learn from it and try harder next time....that way by the time week 3 and 4 rolled around for me, it was no worries!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 am

Well Nikki, as the others have said, you need to educate him!!! It will take some time for him to learn this tho, so be patient! And strong willed as well!!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:40 pm

Well mine eats whatever he likes and only on occasion do I go mental and feel like yelling at him. I feel as I am the one who is choosing to eat healthy it's not fair to take it out on him if I want what he has. It also feels soooo good when I win the battle and don't give in. If he is having something sweety after dinner I will have low fat yoghurt or a piece of fresh fruit so I don't feel 'left out' if I am feeling that way. I try and think about my goals and what I am trying to achieve and will eating whatever it is help me. The answer is usually no. That doesn't mean I don't eat lollies, chocolate etc but these days I usually only do it on the weekend so it is a treat rather than an everyday occurrence.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:44 pm

we can all learn something for that post kim :) thanks :)
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk