It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Free Newsletter

Protein shakes

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Protein shakes

Postby laura » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:19 am

Yesterday I decided to buy one of the protein drinks to help me build some muscles. I didn't read the instructions on it in the shop :oops: and when I decided to give it a try I found out that it should be mixt with milk :x . I'm intolerant to milk, I get bloated, cramps and I suffer 2 days from a glass of milk. So, I decided to prepare it with water, it was disgusting :shock: , I don't think I can continue to drink it like that. Any suggestions? Please :D .
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:20 am

Is that any kind of milk Laura or just cows milk?? Maybe try mixing it with soy or rice milk??
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby laura » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:24 am

Soy milk has a lot of calories, even the lite one is 100 cal/200ml. I didn't think at rice milk :wink: I'll have a look. Thanks.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Postby SarahC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:06 am

Hi Laura... I'm a soy milk drinker and I didn't think it had any more calories than normal milk. I normally get the So Good one and the fat free one I think has 150kJ (35Cal) per 100mL, so 70Cal per 200 mL lol.

I have one shake that's like that (Nature's Way soy protein, natural flavour). I have it with 100mL soy milk, probably about 200mL or more of water, and add in about three sachets of Equal. If you don't mind artificial sweetners then maybe that could work...

Other than that, and I've never tried this myself, maybe add in a bit of cocoa for chocolate flavour, or mix it with juice. Or.... what about essences, like vanilla essence, or something like that?
SarahC

Postby Fluffy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:24 am

Hi Laura,

I know the dilemma you face. I am not intolerant to milk but I do prefer to have some of those protein shakes with water instead of milk and most them aren't that great with water. The only one I have found that tastes great with water and mixes well with water too is a brand called Dynmatize (I hope I have spelt it correctly). I found it a health food store in Melbourne. It is a little expensive as you need to buy the whole tub etc but depending where you go, they might be able to give you a sample to try. Hope that helps.
Fluffy

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:32 am

I didnt think of adding a bit of sugar or equal to it Sarah. Cos they do taste like crap. I drink the nature's way one as well, but the chocolate flavour(if you could call it that!!! :? ). But I do have it with milk, mainly for the extra calcium as I don't get enough of that each day, and it still tastes like crap. But Laura you do get used to it. Even with water you will get used to it. Maybe just hold your nose and skull it and have a big drink of water afterward and then go brush your teeth to get rid of the taste!!!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi Laura

If you are intolerant to milk you may want to look at the soy products as Sarah suggested as many protein shakes are made using whey protein which I believe is derived from milk in the first place. So even if you find one that can be mixed with water (there are some out there) you may not be any better off. Soy protein over whey protein may be the way to go, be sure to check the labels for these sorts of things.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Another idea! Protein Crunch Soy Protein Breakfast Booster

They're like little rice bubbles, but with protein. You can have them with cereal or just by themselves with soy milk or juice... or as I have just done, stick a handful in your mouth and chew for the next 10 mins :lol: :lol: They are yummy :roll:
SarahC

Postby bluebox451 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:26 pm

I love Protein Crunch but I dont think I could eat it on its own - I'm too much of a sweet tooth! :oops: :oops:
I put it in almost everything else though, in my oats, mixed in yoghurt, in my home-made protein cookies. After seeing that post on the Light Mars Bar Slice, I am thinking of making it with Crunch instead of Rice Bubbles, mmmm.....
Great, now I'm hungry again :roll: :roll: :roll:
Liz
bluebox451

Return to Weight loss Talk