It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Hypnotherapy

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Hypnotherapy

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Okay folks, so I finally gave in and went to this hypnotherapist that Mum has been at me to go to, and I gotta say, what a laugh!

So this skinny little bloke is sitting there telling me that I can only eat three meals a say and then I must brush my teeth - signifying the end of each meal. The brushing my teeth thing, not a bad idea, but how on Earth does he expect me to stick to this eating plan?????

Breakfast: Small bowl of porridge with low fat milk.

Lunch: Salad with small amount of tuna (in brine) and lemon/vinegar dressing. I'm permitted to occasionally add a small piece of Mountain bread if I MUST eat bread - but no spreads; philly cheese, etc.
Piece of fruit (if the salad doesn't fill me up - lol)

Dinner: Must be eaten as early as possible...
Small bowl of watery soup with vegetables, or grilled fish/chicken with vegetables - no starchy veg like potatoes, etc.

Seriously, even if I stuck to that for a week, I'd feel ill. For a person of my weight it is simply not enough food!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Lolly » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:22 pm

It might be enough food for the skinny little hypnotherapist :lol:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:26 pm

LOL - yeah probably - after all he sits behind a desk all day so his energy needs wouldn't be high... and clearly doesn't use a whole lot of energy in the mental arena!

Dee
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:54 pm

LOl at least you gave it go dee. it obviously isnt for you! but im sure it works for other people :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Simmy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm

LOL.... mmmmmm watery soup for dinner.. how VERY appetising! I suppose no milk on your porridge either? Were you actually under hypnosis at the stage he was telling you this? You didn't come out with a "what are you KIDDING?"
Simmy

Postby Dee » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:40 pm

My response was something along the lines of "don't you think this is a little restrictive?" to which he responded " you need to close the door on past behaviours." Then while I was 'under' he was saying things like, "when you brush your teeth you will feel full and satisfied." LOL

Oh did I mention that no meal is to be bigger than a bread plate sized serving - (clearly he's never seen how much food I can get onto a bread plate if need be!) :lol:

On the up side, I restrained from snacking all day, so who knows, maybe it did work??!!?? :?

However, my food diary doesn't look anything like salad and watery soup, and yet I'm still very proud of myself.
[/url]
Dee

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:43 am

Sorry Dee, but that diet just sounds ridiculous....I think the only thing it would achieve is binge!! That is so low in calories you would end up being sick and dizzy.....the only winner would be the hypnotherapist who would rake in more money when you went back and felt like a failure, so he could "fix" you again......good on you for being sensible enough to follow your own heathly eating plan.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 am

hey dee ive heard wonderful stories about hypnotherapists its just a shame this one was out of his league!
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:58 am

Yeah I thought you would need a qualification of some kind to enable you to advise people on what to eat? I'm sure he is a qualified hypnotherapist, but is he a dietician also? Good on you Dee for doing your own thing - you know what's best for you. And you never know, with less snacking, something may have sunk in. Maybe your subconscious just picked out the parts that it wanted and chucked out the silly stuff :wink:
SarahC

Postby slimmindown » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 am

sounds interesting Dee to say the least.I've actually been thinking about going to one myself. will be interested to see how you feel over the next week or so.
The lady that I might go to comes highly recommended though so hopefully she would be a little better than "skinny guy" :lol: :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby chunky monkey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:46 am

Hi Dee,

How's it going now?

I have been thinking of going to a hypnotherapist myself for a while now. I have the chance to go to on the weekend as a friend of mine was having one at her house for 2 hours ( a hypnotherapy party if you will!). But I rang a few up to do some research of my own. Nearly every therapist that I spoke to on the subject, had told me that with weight loss, 1 session is generally not enough and can take up to 4 sessions ( the "norm" being 2-3).

Take care,

Michelle
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbij8Bk/]
[/url]
chunky monkey

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Hmmm a hypnotherapist with a nutrition/dietetic degree on the side would be nice.

...you will make sure you eat plenty of fruit and veges and cut out the chocolate, then brush your teeth.

See much better. :D

You gave it a go Dee, you may find others do a better job. Did you get to ask what he was going to do before the session?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Have actually had a bit of success with the not snacking... again, need to wait a while to see whether it offers any long term success, but I have managed to go two days without more than a couple of snacks - an enormous improvement for me. I actually sat down and had coffee with a couple of girls this morning and didn't snack when they did - without too much effort actually.

In terms of this guys qualifications, he has been practicing for over 25 years, not just as a hypnotherapist, but previously working in psych wards, etc, and 8 years as a GP. I'm really baffled - but maybe he knew that I wasn't going to stick to it, but just gave me something high to reach for - even if I couldn't achieve it, just trying would be a huge improvement??? I don't know at all... He was also highly recommended from a friend of my Mum's who said that two visits with him was enough for both her and her dh to quit smoking.

I'll keep you all posted on my ongoing success. By the way - I haven't so much as looked at a bowl of watery soup this week, although I did have salad for lunch today. LOL

Dee
[/url]
Dee

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:12 pm

He might be very good for quitting smoking...but what he was telling you about what to eat was ridiculous.

when they hypnotise you for quitting smoking they essentially trick your brain into thinking differently when it sees a cigarette or craves one...I doubt the same thing is possible with food though...quitting smoking is an absolute thing...not smoking less, or making healthy smoking choices...it's a total STOP DOING THIS kind of thing

Weight loss is a much more complex issue...obviously you still have to eat something and it is extremely important not to feel negative about food (whereas when you quit smoking it is a good idea to feel negative about cigarettes). So they can't use the same techniques as would work with quitting smoking. He was probably vaguely on the right track with the "you will feel full when you brush your teeth" (that's very similar to "when you see a cigarette you will feel repulsed"which is one of the techniques they used on my other half when he quit smoking through hypnosis)...that's trying to get your brain to make different associations than the ones it has made in the past and is quite a legitimate technique.

But the idiot blew it when he threw in the stupid dietary advice that he clearly isn't qualified to give...so your brain would have made a "this guy's an idiot" connection and probably ignored everything else he said too.
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby Dee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:16 pm

mary_in_adelaide wrote:the idiot blew it when he threw in the stupid dietary advice that he clearly isn't qualified to give...so your brain would have made a "this guy's an idiot" connection and probably ignored everything else he said too.

I rather suspect that may be true... unfortunately.

Dee
[/url]
Dee

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk