It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Free Newsletter

In the old days....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

In the old days....

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:36 pm

hey all :)

was thinking back to before my weightloss journey and if i would have a big binge on things i would hide the evidence- did anyone else do that?

i used to hide chocolate wrappers in my room- usually my underwear drawer! if i went to maccas i would put the wrappers in the neighbours bin!

tell me what strange things you used to do !!!

Postby tree » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm

OMG!!!! The memories just come flooding back!

When I was married to my first husband I was miserable and weighed in at 98kg. I was a big time secret eater!

I would stand in the cupboard with the door closed eating slices of bread. I remember on more than one occasion that I would eat so much of the loaf I would worry someone would notice so I would go to the shops and buy another loaf. And then of course eat a few slices to make it look like the old loaf.

If we had a party and had cake left over, I would often be standing in the kitchen picking at it. If sprung I would push the cake onto the floor so no-one could see how much I had eaten.

Stuffing chocolate wrappers into my bra so they wouldnt be seen in my bag.

Eating food outside the supermarket and throwing the wrappers away there.

I would drive through the take away and eat KFC on the way home. I would then stop up the street and hide the wrappers in my boot so no-one would see them.

Needless to say my weight was a real problem and I was very depressed, but thinking back now I can laugh.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg

Postby Pinkie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah I did stuff like that. I knew it was a problem when I started doing it too. Hubby is really supportive of me and I felt terrible letting him down (well I was really letting myself down wasn't I!!) so I'd hide stuff. One of my faves was getting a Red Rooster Flayva combo and I've hide it right down the bottom of the bin and then take the other garbage out to cover it. I'd also not be able to stop eating lollies and even though he'd remind me what it was doing to myself, I'd hide the wrappers in my pockets and then empty them in the bin when he wasn't home! I'm so terrible!!

Goodness knows, he's not dumb and he probably realised what I was doing. He's never said anything tho, and I'm just glad I'm on the wagon again because those days were shameful for me :oops:
Pinkie xx

Postby PaulaR » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi guys, gosh doesn't it all sound too familiar. Even though I'm back into eating healthy and exercising and have been for a couple of months now, I still have those moments where I just break out when no-one is around and gorge. It almost seems impossilble that one day, something other than food will help fill the gap of emotional eating. I know the day's coming but gee it's hard not to beat yourself up when you slip back into sneaky eating mode. Luckily there is this great place where you can at least admit it to someone who won't judge you.

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:34 pm

see! we can talk about all our naughty secrets and half of us have the same ones to share haha! you are right marnie- it is shameful. but its good to look back from where you are now to then and seeing how far you have come :)

bring on more stories!!

Postby SarahC » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:54 pm

I used to wait until my parents went to bed and then sneak into the kitchen to eat. But if I heard any movement, I'd quickly hide! (Hang on.... I STILL do that when I go there :shock: But now I'm too tired to stay awake until they go to bed, but I'll surely wake at some stage during the night and head to the kitchen :oops: )

It is very hard when you're alone and no one's watching... which for me is every night as I live alone. When I go on a binge these days I leave the wrappers around everywhere and will not let myself tidy them for a few days, just to remind myself of what I have done. It's very hard because I like things neat and tidy. I'm punished by having to live in my own mess :lol:

Postby Lols » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm

hehehe i thought i was the only one that hid lolly wrappers in the underwear drawer i was so bad for that - i would wait til my other half was in the shower etc and id eat chuppa chups or packets of mm's .... put one in the bin and hide the rest in my undie draw so he only thought i had one.

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:02 pm

Oooh I love this thread!!! It's made me feel soo much better about all all the little, erm, issues I used to have!!

For my birthday last year my friends gave me a box of Roses. I ate one and put the rest in my cupboard. Then I got them out about 5 minutes later and chewed each one and spit them out into my bin!! So I got the taste but didn't swallow much of it.. :oops: :oops: :oops: I used to do that quite a bit.

I used to wrap up chocolate wrappings in pieces of paper to disguise them.

I'd wait til my parents went out and I'd get a tub of icecream out of the fridge and stand at the kitchen counter with a spoon eating it.. then I'd get out some peanut butter or Milo and get some on a spoon and then put some icecream on top.

Ummmm anything else... I think that's it, apart from the constant nibbling. Oh, drinking diet chocolate icecream topping straight from the bottle...

I've never told ANYONE any of that and now I've just told a whole forum of people!!!! :roll: :oops:

Postby Kyles » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Oh dear...what flashback...I can not believe how similar everyone is with the hiding tactics.

I use to think no one would be doing this and there must be something very wrong with me. But over time, I have heard stories through friends finally admitting they did similar things in their teenage years.

Who knows why we do it..but its obviously not an isolated thing...

I use to hide chip packets down the back of the lounge...and hope that the lounge would gobble them up. I would occassionaly hear my mum yell out.."who has been stuffing chip packets down the back of the lounge" as I have a brother...I wouldnt fess up and just hoped my mum thought it was him being a grotty teenager..

I did the same another packet to replace the one I had eaten...

Shame shame shame..but atleast I know I wasnt the only one!!
Kylie : )

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:32 pm

I used to say I was going for a long walk but instead I'd walk 2 minutes to a take away shop and order and eat hot chips. Then I'd smoke about 3 cigarettes in a row to get rid of the smell of the chips :oops:
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)

Postby Jisgone » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:48 pm

im guilty of it too! going to the shops and buying stuff then hiding it in my uni bag so no one saw me bring it in, then ide pig out and hide the evidence in my bedrooms drawers before putting it deep into the bin!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:57 pm

my brother used to like the cadbury time outs and as a kid i hated them but mum would buy them at shopping and my brother would eat them and hide the wrappers in my jewellery box - when i whinged about it my brother blamed me for eating them but mum knew i didnt like those chocolates. needless to say my brother was a big boy and he still is but has lost a lot of weight via the gym but still eats crap!

Postby Aquagirl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:36 pm

I would never of believed other people did the things I did......

And then I read this thread.

I used to get drive thru maccas on my way home from work and throw the rubbish out at a public bin before I got home so my partner wouldn't see it. :oops:

I also would buy a whole packet of scorched almonds from Darrell Lea and eat the whole lot before I got home. It was only a 10 minute drive. :oops:

I also used to buy a small tin of milo and manage to eat the whole thing in one day. :oops: ....with full cream milk! :shock:

I wish we didn't do these things but I am happy I am not alone and have something in familar with others. I have to forget about these habits and overcome my emotional eating. The more I resist the stronger I get!! :D

Postby Simmy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:11 pm

So so comforting to know Im not alone. When I was growing up my weakness was tim tams. Mum used to hide the pack right at the back of the fridge. One by one I would eat them, when mum asked I would always play innocent? "What Tim tams?" - my sister would say the same thing (although she was innocent) after a while my mum would refer to it as the "Tim tam thief". LOL. "Oh dear, the tim tam thief has been back." The other thing I used to do was put ice-cream containers that had the equivalent of about 1 (flat) tablespoon of ice-cream back in the freezer so no one would find the empty container. I was responsible for many dissapointing nights when mum or aimee would go to get ice cream and there would be (basically) none left.

Postby garn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:44 am is my confession....

My hubby bought 2 blocks of white chocolate and over 2-3 days i ate all of it....then when he wanted some i told him i took them to work for morning tea to share with my workmates...i was so embarrassed that i did that....haven't had chokky since and it really showed how much lack of discipline i had...every time i went past the fridge i got more out...

Still find this habit hard to break but if i catch myself at the fridge or pantry looking for something i grab the water and have a drink and then go away.

We took the kids to little athletics last week and he was eating hot chips and asks if i want any...i yell as loud as possible NO...he looks shocked and asks why...still yelling (unsure why i was yelling..perhaps to convince myself) ...i i want it, no i dont, will i eat it, no i wont....needless to say my mother in law who was with us thought i had gone slightly insane.... but i managed to avoid the chips so it time i will try and be a bit calmer about it though!!!!

the joys of resisting temptation...good luck to all

Mini Goal 100

Return to Weight loss Talk