It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:57 am

Free Newsletter

In the old days....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby yummymummy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 am

I was uncontrolable with my eating when I was pregnant. I would buy chocolate for the whole family then scoff the lot before anyone got home so I would head back to the shops to buy more and not tell anyone and I was always eating in the car! I would go to the shops for milk and bread and buy myself a treat then scoff it in the car before I got home.............
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby BubblyMac » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:07 am

Hello, :D

I've been offline for a while but just started reading these posts again today and thought, omg, I am not the only one doing things like this.

I've always been sneaky with my food, bad food that is, not just at home, at work as well.

I use to think also, if no one saw me eat it, it doesn't count. But of course it mattered, should matter to ME!! I had been sneaking a little bag of lollies when my workmates were out of the office and sneakily eating them at my desk when no one's looking. And I had been buying the big Ice Breaks (no, not normal size, the bigger 1L I think) and hiding the bottle in my bag but sneaking drinks of it in the morning then putting it in a public bin near work, so no one would see it.

I also got really good at sneaking food at home, changing spots of where I kept it. Either in the bedroom, office or in my bag. I"d got into another room and watch 'my own' show seperate from my partner, then nibble on my food. Or if I knew he was out from home, i'd have my block of chocolate/donuts/choc almonds/choc bars and then whatever I couldn't eat, i'd hide again. All the rubbish i'd hide really well. Id wrap it all up in a paper towel, then in a plastic bag, then stuff it at the bottom of the bin. Then fill up the inside bin to put it in the big bin out the front, so no one would know. Or i've put some choc wrappers inside the brown mushroom bag, then into the bin and of course, no one knew about it or suspected.

But of course, i've always had to go out again to replace the cooking chocolate drops by Cadbury (so yummy) .... I mean eww yuk! As I had no other chocolate in the house.

I've even eaten 2 sausage rolls and a iced coffee and a lamington driving home from work, scoffing those things down to satisfy a 'craving' before I got home and acting as if I was still hungry for dinner when I was really full from stuffing my face. That's even been KFC or McDonalds as well. :oops:

Even growing up, I use to steal and eat my sister's choccy eggs each Easter time, as they were slow eating them and I had always eaten mine so quickly then as i'd realised i'd eaten most of their eggs (cause i'd only take away one or two little ones at a time, so they didn't notice), i'd have to go out and replace some of them.

As i'm typing this, i'm realising how bad i've really been, with all this food growing up. :( Geez. :oops: I've always hid my bad eating - I've always hidden so no one would judge me eating something bad. Even if I did eat something bad in front of someone/in public, i'd act as if I don't do it all the time or get a salad with chips to make it look not so bad. Or i'd say 'i've been good, I haven't had this in a while, i'll just treat myself'. :oops: :?

Thanks for this topic, it's been really good to vent about it. this has sorta opened my eyes to what i've been doing, and i'll ive done is said (typed) it out loud to you girls.

At least I know i'm changing now and my new eating style isn't like that anymore. And my treats are now the non-food kind. :)

Thanks
Larrissa :) :D
(sorry about my long reply)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wksPHQO/]
[/url]
BubblyMac

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:43 am

Just goes to show that everyone has their food issues hey! It's certainly made me feel relieved that I'm not the only one hiding things from family and friends!!!
When I was younger, Mum had "her food" eg her milo that she hid in the dishwasher, her Choc-Dot-Cornflakes (I think they've brought them out again as Choc-Malt Cornflakes?! Anyway I refuse to buy them!!!) and I'd always wait til she was out or having a shower or something and sneak handfuls of her food.
I used to eat the icecreams in the freezer and yup, shove the wrappers behind the big cabinet in the dining room which never got moved. Mum found the wrappers a lot while dusting. :oops: :oops: But my sister was always the really big one so I always blamed it on her. And then when she moved out I blamed my brother who is a rake but eats like a horse.

My sister and I definitely think we have food issues because of the fact that mum and dad had so much of 'their food' that we were banned from eating.
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 am

i am absolutely loving reading this thread! i am glad i fessed up firstly so everyone could get it off their chests as well! and hey bubblymac- i would grab junk food on the way home from work too and by the time i got home 40 minutes later i would think 'where has that food gone? i didnt even enjoy it!' it jsut went down so quick that i didnt even realise!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:53 am

I'm loving it too, Kate! What a fantastic idea for a thread!!!
I don't know about everyone else but I think it's really helping me to admit to the habits I used to have and get out how I feel about them, because I don't ever want to go back to doing that, especially now that everyone knows about them!!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:24 pm

This is a great thread I agree.

Well I don't remember too much what I did at home except when I was at school I loved the ginger kisses and would hurry to the tuck shop to buy all that they had to sell and then eat them myself. Luckily then never had more than 6 but they would be all mine if they were there. I would sneakily eat them so no one knew how many I had.

Later I would eat half of whatever I was being sneaky with and then take the other half into the lounge so it didn't look like I was eating as much. I will freely admit on the odd occasion this behaviour still raises its head.

This was one of the things that really hit home when I made the 'real' decision to take control of my weight. My Mum and me were talking about how when your losing weight it is easy to 'sneak' a biscuit when 'no one is looking'. I realised from this conversation that the only person you were fooling was yourself. It's a bit like the close your eyes and the calories aren't there scenario. If no one sees you eat the biscuit/chocolate/whatever did you in fact really have it? If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear it, then does it make a sound? .....OF COURSE IT DOES! :P
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Firstly can I just say, ditto to all of you! I'm guilty of every one of these terrible secrets. the irony being that the only person you can't hide from is yourself - the perosn you are hurting.

I would regularly stop for drive thru on the way home from work - then being so ashamed and not wanting to admit that I had eaten it, I would eat dinner with my husband an hour later!

All it made me do was hate myself more for not being able to be honest.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby tiffanyp » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Great thread girls.

My story is that I used to talk to myself (suprise! :shock: )
And I would say... "if I eat it all now, I wont eat it later"... and I would scoff down a packet of tim tams, or the rest of the chocolate left over from the night before...or whatever it was that needed to be eaten so I wouldnt eat it later!!! :?
and then sometimes I would say to myself "if I eat it quick I wont notice!".... so I would eat really fast..

Hence, that is where I got the problem of large portion sizes and eating too fast that my brain doesnt register that it is full... :shock: ...

Please some one say that they understand... :lol:
Tiffany
tiffanyp

Postby BubblyMac » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Yes Tiffany .... I completely understand/relate.

I use to always say the same thing "if I eat it all now, I wont eat it later" or the temptation wouldn't be there so I have to be good.

Isn't it silly how we talk to ourselves like that, trying to convince ourselves it's okay to eat it all....

But doesn't it feel good to let it out... know all the other girls think the same way as well.

Least we finally acknowledge we did that now, and can move on and keep losing weight! :D :D

Cya
Larrissa :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wksPHQO/]
[/url]
BubblyMac

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:42 am

I totally understand Tiffany!! (I told you that I thought we were alike!!)
"If I eat it now it won't be there later for me to eat. It will be gone and I won't do it again" ..... til I buy the next packet!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
zeedeveelgirl

Postby tree » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 am

Yes I would do the same thing. If I had scoffed half a packet of something that was supposed to last the week I would say to myself "I've blown it now I might as well just eat them all then they are gone and I can be good for the rest of the week"

It's just crazy isnt it!!

It is good to have a giggle at this stuff but I am also getting that niggly prickly feeling of shame at the back of my neck. Its hard to break these habits, even now if I am in the kitchen having a snack that is quite acceptable and quite within my points I feel a bit uncomfortable if dearly beloved walks in while I am munching. I almost feel like I have to declare any food.

I can just imagine it...... "I am going to eat something now... I am allowed to .... and its only 4 points for this sandwich...see I've written it down....." :lol: :lol:
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:54 am

HI tree
i know its like when your family looks at you eating ANYTHING and you feel bad for it. its like 'why are you eating that for?'
kate_turner2000

Postby dancer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Okay, so I know this is an old thread, but what I'd like to know from those who were brave enough to admit stuff here is.......

HOW DID YOU STOP THIS DISTURBING BEHAVIOR?

I can relate to everything you have all said here.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:45 pm

thats really hard to answer dancer!!! i think it was when i got my light bulb moment. :idea: i was disgusted with what i had become. it was sooo hard walking into shops and walking straight past the things you had brought daily- like chocolate, ice creams, and lollies and flavoured milk but when you do it often enough it becomes a habit to walk past it. try not to have those foods in your house until you can control it.
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:13 pm

I haven't completely stopped this to be perfectly honest - although I am working hard at it. The other day I found myself REFUSING to write down something I had eaten in my food diary. I justified by saying, oh I don't know how many calories it is, I can't add it in... huh?

So I gave myself a stern talking to. I am forcing myself to write EVERYTHING in my food diary - good, bad or ugly, so that I can at least be honest with myself about what I'm doing. I think we try so hard to make people think we don't have a problem with food, but lets be honest - when you're 135 kgs, no one's fooled.

Don't use the food diary as a way of making yourself feel guilty. Use it simply as a observation tool. Stop making excuses for why you had to eat something, but accept that these life changes are not habit, and developing habits takes TIME. This is not a battle you will win today, or this week, or next week - but one day you're going to realise that this is so much easier.

Be honest with yourself. You are not a bad person becuase you ate two days worth of food in one day. You are a worthy person who is fighting a really hard battle. Good luck.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk