It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:58 am

Free Newsletter

oh no plateau!!!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

oh no plateau!!!!

Postby miss_muffin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:15 pm

sorry to lay this on you guys (when i know everybody has their own struggles) but i really need some support.

im having a really bad week because i've hit a plateua and im starting to loose my motivation and i can seriously see myself going back to a dark place.

life is pretty unhappy at the moment and i know eating isnt going to help, it will only make things worse but i have no self control. im trying so hard to break the horrid cycle im in.....i'm unhappy because i eat and then i eat because im unhappy.

i wish i could figure out why i'm so unhappy.....my obesity is a symptom not the cause.......i wish i had some self esteem :cry:

sorry,
deb
miss_muffin

Postby Dolly » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Hi Deb, as soon as you're able, go to the shop and fill up on carrots, celery, cucumber, no fat yoghurt, fresh fruit, low fat cheese, rice cakes and skim milk. Then prepare a bowl full of nibblies. If you can't control eating then make sure that the only food you are eating are the ones that can't do much harm to you.
It might would be a good idea if you could get rid of the high fat foods from your kitchen too.

If you have a garden get your hands dirty so food will be far from your thoughts.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Serena » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:06 pm

Going for a long walk helps clear your head. You have thinking time and if it's a fairly long walk, say 40 minutes, it really tires you out and you don't really feel like eating when you come back, just lots of water. Then it makes you feel better too because of all the endorphins that get released when you exercise. I find distracting myself with other things the best way to deal with depression, but I know that's a lot easier said than done.
Serena

Oh no, plateau

Postby Ed » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Deb,

keep your chin up!

Dolly's suggestions are great.

If you know you are particularly vulnerable, get rid of all the tempting, high calorie foods from your pantry.

I took great delight in throwing out a 200g packet of potato chips that had only a handful of chips taken out of it. It was amazing how proud of myself I was after doing it!

Last week I threw out 3 slices of pizza which I wouldn't have dreamed of throwing out a few weeks ago.

I've also started to tell myself that I don't like chocolate that much and can take-it-or-leave-it, which is a complete lie, but I'm hoping that if I repeat the lie to myself enough I'll start to believe it.

As well as getting rid of undesirable foods from your pantry, I think you need to get active to take your mind of eating and food.

When you're feeling hungry, go for a long walk and drink plenty of water on the way.

Another thing you can do to distract yourself is plan your weight loss activities for the next few weeks. For example, what meals are you going to eat tomorrow and the day after? What exercise are you going to do each day for the next week?

Once you have a plan, promise yourself you'll stick to it and do stick to it.

Don't be afraid of hunger pains. Think of them as a positive sign that your body is burning fat.

If you ignore them for a while, it is amazing how quickly these pangs go away, particularly if you drink some water to help keep your tummy full.

The other thing to do is lean on people around you for support.

Ask someone to go for a walk with you or to share a healthy lunch with you.

While you are together, you can talk about your feelings and you never know, by talking out loud about your feelings, you may just come across a solution or two.

Good luck, stay strong and let us know how you go.

Ed. :D
Ed

Re: oh no plateau!!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:17 pm

miss_muffin wrote:sorry to lay this on you guys (when i know everybody has their own struggles) but i really need some support.

im having a really bad week because i've hit a plateua and im starting to loose my motivation and i can seriously see myself going back to a dark place.

life is pretty unhappy at the moment and i know eating isnt going to help, it will only make things worse but i have no self control. im trying so hard to break the horrid cycle im in.....i'm unhappy because i eat and then i eat because im unhappy.

i wish i could figure out why i'm so unhappy.....my obesity is a symptom not the cause.......i wish i had some self esteem :cry:

sorry,
deb

Re: oh no plateau!!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:
miss_muffin wrote:sorry to lay this on you guys (when i know everybody has their own struggles) but i really need some support.

sorry,
deb

Be good to yourself. Dig deep and fight the good fight. Fight the negativity.

You can do it!!

Postby Fairie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:34 pm

Hi Deb,

How are things going after you posted on Monday?

Don't give up, nothing good is ever easy, it has taken me nearly 40 years to work out my problems as to why I over eat. I still have bad days but I don't worry about them I just start again the following day. I know people who are at their goal weight and they still have days they can't control, they just say that was a s...t of a day and don't waste time or energy feeling guilty about it.

Talking here helps, we are all in the same boat and are ready to help if we can. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Return to Weight loss Talk