It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:26 am

Free Newsletter

What do you think about?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think about?

Postby Aquagirl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thinks when they are considering putting something naughty in their mouths. I didn't think yesterday, I just went ahead and placed not one, but four pieces of homemade rocky road in my mouth. :shock: I can't believe it, I was doing so well. I was in an uncomfortable situation, family gathering, step-sister who doesn't particularly like me. And I didn't even think.....I just placed. It was purely emotional.

So what thoughts do you guys think to stop yourselves in these situations?

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:47 pm

hi aqua girl- good question :)

firstly never mind about the rocky road- its in the past and your weightloss is your future :)

secondly i did something the similar the other day- i did it out of plain habit though. i was cooking pasta bake for my fiance and my nephew for their dinner and i popped some pasta in my mouth after i drained it. THEN i realised what i had just done and spat it back out into the bin. i try not to have things that will tempt me in my house but sometimes when you go out you cant stop what other people are serving. i just keep a drink in my hand and move away from the food table. i think if i had eaten a tray of jatz and cheese i would be very guilty and i know i would be guilty so that turns me off and also knowing that it WILL affect my weightloss that week- i want to get as far ahead as i can get!

Postby Dee » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:49 pm

I do this all the time!

Unfortunately, like you say, it's not a conscious decision - so therefore very hard to stop what you're doing f you don't kinda realise you're doing it. My suggestion is prevention. When the plate of rocky road gets put down in front of you say to yourself - I'm not gonna touch that, I don't need those wasted calories. For every piece I eat I have to work out for an hour - or something along these lines. Then MOVE AWAY. If you do eat it and you told yourself that each piece would be an extra hour workout - hold yourself to it. Within the next week, make sure that you do that extra hour (or four) then when you're sweating it out, you can move on, rather than focusing on what you did wrong, you can focus on how you overcame it.

Hope it helps. Good luck

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Calories and the fat content....usually it is the fat content that really stops me. I can burn off carbs, sugar etc but I don't like to keep an eye on my fat intake especially during the week.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Yeah I just think "Christ, is it really worth having that piece of cake? It mutt be something like 2000 kilojoules and if I put on weight I know it'll be cos of that!!!" It's just 2nd nature to me now to avoid bad foods, it's like it's programmed into me!

Postby SarahC » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 pm

I think I have a bit of a debate going on in my head... there's two voices, one telling me to eat and coming up with all manner of reasons and excuses, and the other telling me not to be so stupid and to find something else to do! It depends which voice wins as to whether I eat it or not :roll:

Here's a good one that always wins... "this is the last time". How many times is it actually the last time. Never!!! :x

Postby tiffanyp » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:18 am

Im with you girls, I nearly ate a chocolate last night... I put it in my fingers and then I thought "hang on one minute! I have lost 5.5 kilo and it wasnt by eating this sort of thing!!" Self talk is an amazing tool. That combined with will power and clear vision of the goals you want to achieve....

An occasional sin is ok... but I am just not prepared to take the risk, 'cause I have too much weight to lose...

Tiffany :D

Postby Simmy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am

What an interesting topic! I have been serious about weight loss for a month now, and in that time my attitude has changed a lot. I used to think I was SO hard done by, going out to dinner, and not eating what everyone else was. It would make me tearful late in the night - at home craving all the food I saw on everyone else's plates! Then after reading a post about Sarah's midnight snacking, I got the idea of putting a sign on my fridge. So I now have a big sign saying "Are you REALLY hungry?" I have read it so much now opening (or deciding to not open) the fridge that it seems to be inbuilt now. I question what I'm putting in to my mouth. I have realised I was eating for emotional reasons. I consider it relaxing, LOL.

Postby Flame » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:16 am

I have MEGA conflict when it comes to eating sweet stuff. Ill see a yummy thing in a shop and its mental!

Initially Im like "Nar, ur trying to lose weight pieguts!, move away from the crap "

Then a little voice goes "Janeo, mate, you only live once.....enjoy the sweet pleasures cos life is short"

Its a struggle, god i hope it eases off soon !
101 here i come!!!!Image

Postby dancer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:15 pm

My head is so full of congestion every day because I argue with myself about eating EVERYTHING!

I wake up in the morning and it's a debate about what i will have for breakfast. Coco Pops and Toast with peanut butter or healthy cereal. The healthy stuff just never seems to taste as good.

BUT I do get a good feeling when I choose the healthy stuff.

I can't explain why I sometimes choose the good and sometimes choose the bad, but It's definitely all in my head.

I guess just thinking about how I will be so much better off without it can help. Taking a moment to THINK before eating anything.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

Postby Jisgone » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I struggle in my head so much, sometimes i win and sometimes my head does but i find if i treat myself sometimes i dont struggle with cravings as much

Postby garn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:46 pm

I have the mantra ' Do I want it - no i dont ....will i eat it no I won't'

still old habits are hard to break...i used to be the walk past the kitchen and stop in for a 'quickie' in the old 'if no one see's me it doesnt count' or the still good....if i have a 'diet' coke with that it's ok!!!!! haha .... can't believe i used to try and get away with that excuse.

Now i get the guilts if i don't go the gym, now i do a class then after i get on the treadmill and cross trainer and slog it out for another hour.... sometimes i can't believe how much i have changed. I still 'fall down' on occasions, and one time literally when i went arse up over the step in the step class :oops: but we still can have (reluctant to call it bad) 'high calorie' foods...but you begin to realise the work to get rid of it isn't worth the quick sugar high.

Good luck

Mini Goal 100

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:51 pm

Well generally I just eat what I want, whether it be bad or good. Hence why I am still here with this weight a year later!!! :oops: But every now and then my brain says uuuuummmmm no I dont think that should go in your mouth and I am fine. If I turn that dial up to full on then I dont have a problem. Cept I keep it at about 1/4 strength most of the time!!!! :lol:

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby Aquagirl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone!

I think the key for me is to physically talk words to my self. I am trying so hard to resist the foods I used to eat.

Maybe taking it one day at a time too.

Postby sharmie » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:26 pm

In AJ Rochesters book, she suggests if you eat something you shouldn't have just forget about it and move on. Decide that next time you will try harder not too, eventually you will be craving something sweet or fatty and you will just have to have it so you will go and get it and once you get it home and put it in your mouth, it just won't taste as good, if you stay good most of the time falling off the wagon once in a while will be OK.
Sharmie :wink:

Return to Weight loss Talk