It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:20 am

Free Newsletter

Treadmills verses whatever!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Sassygirl » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Thanks for all your input - really appreciate it. Just need to answer the question that people have been asking about just going for a walk. Well the situation I am in is that I work fulltime (long hours), my husband leaves for work at 6.00am in the morning and I don't see him until around 8.00ish at night (he manages a trucking company and they don't keep strict 9 - 5 hours!!). About a couple of months ago - a lady was sexually assaulted over our side of the river - and my husband does not want me to go walking in the morning for my own safety. By the time he has come home - I am buggered so my only option is to hire some equipment. Anyway I will let you know how it goes and in what direction I decide to head. Thanks heaps!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Postby ZelmaWA » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:28 pm

From what you said in this second post, then I would think that a treadmill would definitely be something to look into. It was the first piece of exercise equipment that I bought and I love it. It is still my favourite type of indoor exercise. I love to walk outdoors, but the best time for me to exercise - energy-wise - is in the morning and at the moment it is pitch black when I would have to start and dark for most of the walk. While on holidays it was fine because I could leave a little later, but when I go back to work next week I am going to have to leave too early. That is why I find the treadmill good for me. I also don't like walking in the rain before I have to get ready for work, so I don't have as many excuses not to exercise if I have the equipment at home. I find that if I want a harder workout I can either increase the incline or do intervals of jogging. I've heard that running on the treadmill (mine is 'cusioned') is as good as running on grass, but that running on concrete isn't good for your legs/joints. I have to admit that I feel the jarring whenever I try to run on a hard surface.

I also now have an exercise bike and a home gym, as well as aerobics and dance DVDs for variety, but I would use the treadmill the most out of all the stuff I have.

Someone had a good idea of hiring something before you buy it. I hired a treadmill before I bought it, just to make sure it would be worth the money. I wanted to get a good one, and it had to carry a LOT of weight, so I wasn't getting something cheap. I didn't want to buy it to just have an expensive clothes hanger sitting around the place. I ended up buying the same brand (Health Stream) that I hired and I haven't looked back.

Good luck with your choice.
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at:

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:07 am

:shock: Goodness me Sassy I am not surprised your hubby doesn't want you out there walking alone! Stay safe girl and hire yourself some equipment...let us know what you choose to get!!

Return to Weight loss Talk