It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Free Newsletter

loosing muscle or fat?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

loosing muscle or fat?

Postby miss_muffin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:55 pm

i'm drowning in a sea of conflicting information and wondered if anyone could clarify for me??????

i know that when you initally loose weight its most likely water and when you loose weight very quickly that its more likely your burning muscle. so how do you know if your loosing fat or muscle?????

i've lost 12kg but my body shape hasn't changed and there isnt a great deal of change with my tape measure. maybe its because im SO big that it will take quite alot to notice real difference (my starting weight was 142kg).........is it possible i'm burning muscle rather than fat?????

what are your thoughts????

cheers,
deb
miss_muffin

Postby Dolly » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi Deb,
When a person first starts a diet, they may make a few observations, even though they only drank 4 or 5 cuppas per day and are now on a whopping 2 litres of water, every diet club will tell them they are losing water weight.
The reason for this is because when you start on a diet you are actually cutting down on carbs too.
Carbohydrates help your body to absorb water. If you reduce carbs, less water will be held in the body.

You may then decide to take on some exercise and notice you're gaining lots of weight.
The reason for this is because for the first couple of weeks of introducing exercise, you'll be building up muscles that haven't had much movement for a long while.
Muscles weigh a lot, but once established will burn fat at a faster rate than just dieting alone will.
Investing in some secondhand dumbbells is one of the best things I've done.
Dolly
Dolly

Postby Fairie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:42 pm

Hi Deb,

I can tell my clothes are a lot looser but I cain't really see a change in my body shape yet even though other people can. I suppose when I have lost a lot more I will be able to see it.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby miss_muffin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:20 pm

Hmmmm, thats the other reason why i wondered if i was just burning muscle because my clothes aren't loose.

i'm thinking the problem is that im just such a big gal that its going to take at least 29kg before i, my clothes or anybody else notices.

cheers,
deb
miss_muffin

Return to Weight loss Talk